Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Patric Young

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Even though 6'10" pushing 250lbs isn't exactly undersized...
    Well then there is one less comparison to Ben Wallace. Wallace WAS undersized.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

They remind me of AI and Charles Barkley.

Darius Miller is like Carmelo Anthony except he doesn't like to shoot and gives it his all on the defensive end.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Russ Smith reminds me of Steve Nash, except he isn't a good shooter and doesn't have good court vision.
    Darius Miller is like Carmelo Anthony except he doesn't like to shoot and gives it his all on the defensive end.
    Lmao...I'm glad that someone else sees what I'm seeing. The comparison baffles me.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Lmao...I'm glad that someone else sees what I'm seeing. The comparison baffles me.
    Yeah, like we said before, people are just talking about different things.

I just don't want people to expect Wallace's production and then be disappointed in the kid. I love what he brings, but it aint Ben Wallace type production. Never will be.

Yeah, like we said before, people are just talking about different things.

I just don't want people to expect Wallace's production and then be disappointed in the kid. I love what he brings, but it aint Ben Wallace type production. Never will be.
    But could he learn how to rebound better defensively? I mean, he and Wallace have all the same measurements, and defensive rebounding is mainly about positioning. Since Pat Young has the will to want to rebound, it seems like, with a little technical refinement, he could improve in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    But could he learn how to rebound better defensively? I mean, he and Wallace have all the same measurements, and defensive rebounding is mainly about positioning. Since Pat Young has the will to want to rebound, it seems like, with a little technical refinement, he could improve in that area.
    They do not have same measurements. Again, Young has a standing reach of an average SMALL FORWARD. You look at the history of big men with standing reaches that small, and they are always poor defensive rebounders. Only current productive big with a similar standing reach - Carl Landry, who has always been a good offensive rebounder and a very poor defensive rebounder.

Nothing you can teach. Just a physical limitation that can't be overcome when you are playing against guys on this level. He would be an outlier.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    They do not have same measurements. Again, Young has a standing reach of an average SMALL FORWARD. You look at the history of big men with standing reaches that small, and they are always poor defensive rebounders. Only current productive big with a similar standing reach - Carl Landry, who has always been a good offensive rebounder and a very poor defensive rebounder.

Nothing you can teach. Just a physical limitation that can't be overcome when you are playing against guys on this level. He would be an outlier.
    His physical presence may be enough to offset this weakness. He's not Ben Wallace but he sure isn't a Carl Landry. The Wallace comparison makes some sense when you think of body type and strength and defense. I trust that if the coaching staff sees this comparison in any way then there's something to it. This player will contribute I believe. He's a winner. No one here has made any kind of argument otherwise. I keep hearing poor defensive rebounder. Really? So you think this guy with the limited reach but superior physical strength won't rebound well. He'll push other centers around and he'll make plays. I bet we'll be talking about him on here in the middle of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    His physical presence may be enough to offset this weakness. He's not Ben Wallace but he sure isn't a Carl Landry. The Wallace comparison makes some sense when you think of body type and strength and defense. I trust that if the coaching staff sees this comparison in any way then there's something to it. This player will contribute I believe. He's a winner. No one here has made any kind of argument otherwise. I keep hearing poor defensive rebounder. Really? So you think this guy with the limited reach but superior physical strength won't rebound well. He'll push other centers around and he'll make plays. I bet we'll be talking about him on here in the middle of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As I said, if he does become a good to great defensive rebounder, he will be an outlier. Literally nobody else with that standing reach at the 4 or the 5 has been a good defensive rebounder at the NBA level since Draft Express started keeping track of standing reach in 2003.

And the Pelicans would kill to get Carl Landry's production. If people were guaranteed Carl Landry's production from a rookie, he would be a top 15 pick.

I hate that people are turning me into a Patric Young basher. I was the guy going on every radio show leading up to the draft saying this should be Dell's target. But history (both his history and NBA history) says that he won't be able to rebound on the defensive end. That doesn't mean he will be a bad player, just that this specific area will be a weakness of his.

Now, I know it is a fans job to give guys on your team the benefit of the doubt, but he would literally be one of a kind. How can you assume that? Doesn't it make more sense to assume the rule as opposed to the exception?

I didn't know I was posting to a communist forum where other people tell me where to set my expectations. Here I was thinking I could have whatever expectations I wanted. The whole Young / Wallace thing is irrelevant anyway from the standpoint of sitting there and telling people "don't get your hopes up". Where has anyone said he was going to put up numbers? I've seen a lot of talking about Ben Wallace "type". But it seems like only those who don't like the comparison bring up production. . .which no one else is mentioning.

It's like you can't pay a guy a complement without someone reading into it and trying to "correct" you for saying something you didn't even say. I don't remember hearing any Pelicans coaches comparing Miller to Melo, but we do have at least one coach and Demps making the Young / Wallace comparison. Maybe go troll their twitters next.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I bet we'll be talking about him on here in the middle of the season.
    He isn't even on the final roster and we have had multiple long threads on him already. It's what we do here. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I didn't know I was posting to a communist forum where other people tell me where to set my expectations. Here I was thinking I could have whatever expectations I wanted. The whole Young / Wallace thing is irrelevant anyway from the standpoint of sitting there and telling people "don't get your hopes up". Where has anyone said he was going to put up numbers? I've seen a lot of talking about Ben Wallace "type". But it seems like only those who don't like the comparison bring up production. . .which no one else is mentioning.

It's like you can't pay a guy a complement without someone reading into it and trying to "correct" you for saying something you didn't even say. I don't remember hearing any Pelicans coaches comparing Miller to Melo, but we do have at least one coach and Demps making the Young / Wallace comparison. Maybe go troll their twitters next.
    I laid out the confusion in the argument very clearly, pointing out that one side is arguing X and the other Y, thereby talking across each other. Because of that, both sides are valid.

So, we are saying the same thing, yet you seem angry. Why so worked up?

Patric Young

I laid out the confusion in the argument very clearly, pointing out that one side is arguing X and the other Y, thereby talking across each other. Because of that, both sides are valid.

So, we are saying the same thing, yet you seem angry. Why so worked up?
    Maybe because of multiple posts mocking people for accepting the comparison the coaches and GM used?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-09-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: yes

Maybe because of multiple posts mocking people?
    Such a double standard here. Anybody else can joke. I can't.

I like to have fun too. I can't be sarcastic? Other people do it and we laugh, but I do it and I am "talking down." That isn't fair.

I have no obligation to anybody on this board. I am a fan just like anyone else. If literally anybody else posted the same things, it would be all in good fun. But for me, it is mocking and talking down.

I write my serious, professional stuff on the site. This place is for enjoyment. Not right that I can't have some fun too. I made nothing personal. If you guys expect more from me on here - some sort of "professionalism" - that aint gonna happen. Just a fan here.

what the hell is going on here....
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    what the hell is going on here....
    You will know soon enough.

Such a double standard here. Anybody else can joke. I can't.

I like to have fun too. I can't be sarcastic? Other people do it and we laugh, but I do it and I am "talking down." That isn't fair.

I have no obligation to anybody on this board. I am a fan just like anyone else. If literally anybody else posted the same things, it would be all in good fun. But for me, it is mocking and talking down.

I write my serious, professional stuff on the site. This place is for enjoyment. Not right that I can't have some fun too. I made nothing personal. If you guys expect more from me on here - some sort of "professionalism" - that aint gonna happen. Just a fan here.
    Um. It wasn't just you. That's why I didn't quote you when I made my original post.

You will know soon enough.
    sigh...I've been hearing that too much lately

I was supposed to start my new job this week, supposed to have orientation last saturday, supposed to be making money now. I called friday just to make sure that I had the right time for saturday, they tell me that my orientation was moved back to next saturday(this coming one), they just forgot to tell me.

My life is this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    sigh...I've been hearing that too much lately
    You see some of your comments on your article? People can't wait to point out anything negative when you put yourself out there. Very, very, very rarely will you get a positive comment or a thank you. If you work hard enough or are good enough, that will just make you a bigger target. People will prove their worth by getting you to react or by proving you wrong.

It does eventually make you stronger and gives you a skill set that you need in this day and age. But it will be tough to get through. Get ready for it.

In other news. I'm attempting to get TREW to racket up the late night Q&A to a whole new level.

I'm come to believe what this for needs is a chat room.

In other news. I'm attempting to get TREW to racket up the late night Q&A to a whole new level.

I hope Trew is wasted and answering from a Gentlemen's club. Could be comic gold

I hope Trew is wasted and answering from a Gentlemen's club. Could be comic gold

You see some of your comments on your article? People can't wait to point out anything negative when you put yourself out there. Very, very, very rarely will you get a positive comment or a thank you. If you work hard enough or are good enough, that will just make you a bigger target. People will prove their worth by getting you to react or by proving you wrong.

It does eventually make you stronger and gives you a skill set that you need in this day and age. But it will be tough to get through. Get ready for it.
    yea I saw, my thing is, when something happens more will be written right? I think we are good enough to compete now, regardless of who we pick up for sf, so I write that. First guy to comment says nah write this in a week or two when something new happens. Well rest assured a lot more will be written when something happens but in the meantime here is where we stand now and why it is positive.

also I'm working on writing something to counter all the criticism we get for trading 1st round draft picks, so far I've looked at how many 1st round picks actually won a championship on the team that drafted them since 2000. I'm gonna look at draft position (late or lottery), contribution of the picked players, how many were actually "picked" and how many were draft-day trades, etc etc. Haven't formed anything in writing yet, any suggestions?
    Last edited by jgman; 07-09-2014 at 01:09 AM.

Thread Information