Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Patric Young

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Can we allow him to earn his adoration for once guys ; I'm really want him to be a big deal too but the same things were happening last year w Whithey who was barely serviceable.
    but... but.... SUMMER LEAGUE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    but... but.... SUMMER LEAGUE!!!!!
    The funny thing is I don't even think we've played one of those yet! It's anticipation of summer league LOL.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Can we allow him to earn his adoration for once guys ; I'm really want him to be a big deal too but the same things were happening last year w Whithey who was barely serviceable.
    I'll trade you. If people stop being negative about the Asik trade, I'll stop being positive about Young.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'll trade you. If people stop being negative about the Asik trade, I'll stop being positive about Young.
    I don't mind being positive tbh I just think the hype machine is taking over now. That being said, I love the Asik trade!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Dennis Schroeder.

Oh yeah. What ever happened to him? He did anything in the league at all yet?
    He is the third point guard on his team, behind Shelvin Mack.
    Yes it would be awesome to get Patric Young.
    It's odd no one picked him.
    Could be a first rounder in the last years draft.

I still think comparing Young to Wallace is absolutely absurd. Prime Ben Wallace was an automatic top 5 rebounder and DPOY candidate. I understand the comparison from a physical standpoint and kind of from a skill set standpoint, but juxtaposing those two, just placing them in the same light, is an insult to Ben Wallace imo.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I don't mind being positive tbh I just think the hype machine is taking over now. That being said, I love the Asik trade!
    I see a lot of people pulling hard for the guy but I don't see a ton of people trying to say he is even a lock for our final team.

He seems cool and down to earth. Works hard and is different from any other big currently on our roster. I know I'm hoping he makes the team. But I don't see people saying he is going to be an all-star.

I see a lot of people pulling hard for the guy but I don't see a ton of people trying to say he is even a lock for our final team.

He seems cool and down to earth. Works hard and is different from any other big currently on our roster. I know I'm hoping he makes the team. But I don't see people saying he is going to be an all-star.
    This is just where it starts man.. Trust, I'm rooting for him too

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    I still think comparing Young to Wallace is absolutely absurd. Prime Ben Wallace was an automatic top 5 rebounder and DPOY candidate. I understand the comparison from a physical standpoint and kind of from a skill set standpoint, but juxtaposing those two, just placing them in the same light, is an insult to Ben Wallace imo.
    It was in the article. It was a comment made BY the coaching staff. About who they want him to try and be. I see nothing wrong with people telling him to model his game after Wallace.

It was in the article. It was a comment made BY the coaching staff. About who they want him to try and be. I see nothing wrong with people telling him to model his game after Wallace.
    Nah I wasn't referring to anything said in the article. I've seen that comparison directly made by many Pels fans since the moment we've drafted him both here and through other media outlets. That's who and what I was addressing. Sorry if that was unclear. I just think people need to keep in mind the standard that is being set when you talk about a Ben Wallace. I say shoot for the stars. But don't be surprised when you discover how far they are.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 07-08-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Nah I wasn't referring to anything said in the article. I've seen that comparison directly made by many Pels fans since the moment we've drafted him both here and through other media outlets. That's who and what I was addressing. Sorry if that was unclear. I just think people need to keep in mind the standard that is being set when you talk about a Ben Wallace. I say shoot for the stars. But don't be surprised when you discover how far they are.
    I knew what you meant my point was there are media outlets AND coaches on the very team using that comparison. It's not as if people here are pulling it out of thin air. It's obviously a valid comparison in some regards if it's what our Coaching staff uses.

I don't think anyone has said he WILL be Wallace.

I just don't like how if you say that he is nothing like Wallace that you are implying he won't be good. I mean, AD is nothing like Kareem, but that doesn't mean I don't think he can be an all-time great. It is just a bad comparison.

Wallace was known for his rebounding and shot blocking and Young's biggest weakness is probably his defensive rebounding.

Can he bring the same kind of intangibles? Sure. But production wise, he is just a different player. I mean, Young actually has a solid jumper. He won't ever shoot 30% from the line.

Just totally different strengths and totally different weaknesses.
    @mcnamara247

I think it's smart play for the coaching staff to build up his confidence so high. If he shows he can play with the type of energy and effort that Wallace brought night in and night in throughout his career, then he'll be the perfect 4th or 5th big for this team. The type of guy who can come in and punish other teams when they start fouling Davis hard. If not, oh well we have nearly nothing invested in him.

The Patric Young / Ben Wallace comparison is one of the worst comparisons I have ever heard.
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Quote Originally Posted by Big-EZ View Post
    The Patric Young / Ben Wallace comparison is one of the worst comparisons I have ever heard.
    But they are both undersized and strong.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Even though 6'10" pushing 250lbs isn't exactly undersized...

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Even though 6'10" pushing 250lbs isn't exactly undersized...
    His issue is his standing reach - similar to the average small forward. As a big, you play defense with your hands up, not with your head. To me, that makes his very undersized for his position. And it makes it very unlikely that he will be a good shot blocker and defensive rebounder.

Offensive rebounding is more quickness and effort. I think he will do that just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I just don't like how if you say that he is nothing like Wallace that you are implying he won't be good. I mean, AD is nothing like Kareem, but that doesn't mean I don't think he can be an all-time great. It is just a bad comparison.

Wallace was known for his rebounding and shot blocking and Young's biggest weakness is probably his defensive rebounding.

Can he bring the same kind of intangibles? Sure. But production wise, he is just a different player. I mean, Young actually has a solid jumper. He won't ever shoot 30% from the line.

Just totally different strengths and totally different weaknesses.
    That's not the discussion though.

People are criticizing the use of Ben Wallace when even the coaching staff has used that exact comparison. That's what is being discussed. I haven't seen anyone implying he was going to be bad but I've also not seen anyone say he would produce like Wallace either. It's just a comparison of who he should strive to be. That "type" of player.

Personally I don't care to compare him to anyone because players are all so different. But I don't think other people should come in all holier-than-thou and act like people are wrong for saying the comparison when the media and coaches are the ones perpetuating it. Obviously they feel there's merit to it.

Type of player (energy, effort, defense) and Type of production (numbers, efficiency, etc.) are two different things and I think that is where the disconnect is.

If you are talking about type of player, then yes, Young can be like that. But if you are projecting his max production, he is NOTHING like Wallace.

Its just an issue of two groups of people talking about two different things who think they are talking about the same thing. The cause of 90% of disagreements.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    His issue is his standing reach - similar to the average small forward. As a big, you play defense with your hands up, not with your head. To me, that makes his very undersized for his position. And it makes it very unlikely that he will be a good shot blocker and defensive rebounder.

Offensive rebounding is more quickness and effort. I think he will do that just fine.
    Fair enough. But you also play defense with your feet and lower body. Get too handsy and it's a foul. He's got great strength so it'll be hard for people to get position on him. And his weak side defense shouldn't suffer much at all, provided he has good timing. But luckily, few teams will bring a true post threat off the bench for him to have to contend with.

Yeah, I don't worry about his overall defense. Like I said, just his defensive rebounding and his ability to block shots. Those were Wallace's two strengths. But there have been tons of good defenders who didn't block shots. Not a necessity

Type of player (energy, effort, defense) and Type of production (numbers, efficiency, etc.) are two different things and I think that is where the disconnect is.

If you are talking about type of player, then yes, Young can be like that. But if you are projecting his max production, he is NOTHING like Wallace.

Its just an issue of two groups of people talking about two different things who think they are talking about the same thing. The cause of 90% of disagreements.
    Thank you for clarifying that point of disconnect. That's what I was trying to communicate. I understand the type of player comparison but the max production aspect is something that needs to be dismissed. Ben Wallace was an all-time great rebounder and defensive anchor in his prime.

I understand the comparison from a physical standpoint and kind of from a skill set standpoint, but juxtaposing those two, just placing them in the same light, is an insult to Ben Wallace imo.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 07-08-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I watched a lot of video recently on this guy. Wow. I really believe he will be a great backup center. He has unbelievable lateral quickness which will help him defend the pick n roll. He can maneuver himself in the paint causing other centers to have a terrible time getting in position. He draws fouls in the paint. He sets a hard pick which would look great for tyreke and Anderson on the floor.

He will do certain things very well and I think the Ben Wallace comparison is actually fine. BUT rebounding and shot blocking aren't his strengths. However, he's built like Wallace and he's tough. Put him on court with Davis and a high rebounding group and he may really do something great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I watched a lot of video recently on this guy. Wow. I really believe he will be a great backup center. He has unbelievable lateral quickness which will help him defend the pick n roll. He can maneuver himself in the paint causing other centers to have a terrible time getting in position. He draws fouls in the paint. He sets a hard pick which would look great for tyreke and Anderson on the floor.

He will do certain things very well and I think the Ben Wallace comparison is actually fine. BUT rebounding and shot blocking aren't his strengths. However, he's built like Wallace and he's tough. Put him on court with Davis and a high rebounding group and he may really do something great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know I should probably quit complaining about the Ben Wallace comparisons while I can, but statements like these make it hard to do that. That's like saying Player X is like Kobe except he isn't an above average scorer and lacks the competitive edge Kobe possessed...but other than that the Kobe comparison is totally fine. I mean rebounding and blocking...that's what Ben Wallace did better than just about every big in the mid 2000s. If those aren't Young's strengths, a Ben Wallace comparison from the context of his skillset, in addition to his potential max production (discussed in the posts above), is simply invalid. I'll give you build, but honestly anything else other than perhaps "intangibles" (like toughness and hustle) which as the word suggests is difficult to even define, let alone quantify, the comparisons to Big Ben should stop. My last post on this topic, I promise.

Russ Smith reminds me of Steve Nash, except he isn't a good shooter and doesn't have good court vision.

Thread Information