Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Patric Young

Patric Young

Looks like he got some guaranteed money and Dell really wanted to draft him. Greatly increases the odds he makes final roster IMO. Great read.

http://www.onlygators.com/07/07/2014...eans-pelicans/
    @mcnamara247

Banned
    I really hope he can turn into a bruising/hustling type of rebounder/energy guy. Really liked his energy at Florida.

Championship!

Seriously though, I hope he makes it

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    I really hope he can turn into a bruising/hustling type of rebounder/energy guy. Really liked his energy at Florida.
    Gonna be so tough for him to score on anything but put backs and transition until he develops a little 15 footer, but he can play defense from Day 1. The issue is that he can't rebound on that end. Gotta play him with AD. Could play with Asik, but that would kill spacing.

In this context guaranteed money would probably be $50k or whatever they pay you to make it all the way through camp. Like when last year we had the option to cut Roberts for $50k but we chose to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    In this context guaranteed money would probably be $50k or whatever they pay you to make it all the way through camp. Like when last year we had the option to cut Roberts for $50k but we chose to keep him.
    Very true. But thats still more than 99% of the undrafted guys on summer league rosters. Shows they had significant interest and really want him to make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Looks like he got some guaranteed money and Dell really wanted to draft him. Greatly increases the odds he makes final roster IMO. Great read.

http://www.onlygators.com/07/07/2014...eans-pelicans/
    saw his twitter avi had the pelicans logo in the background... seemed a little premature before i read this. make some sense now

I think, one way or the other, Ajinca or Withey is gone to make the Asik trade work. Young can step right into the 3rd string role. Different kind of player, but can have similar long term impact.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Question MM:

Does Patric have the quickness to guard the 3 or do you think he'll play the 4 when on court with Brow?

Withey is like young, only he can't defend but he can block shots, while young can defend but can't block shots like withey does. On offense...eh. Rebounding sucks on defense for both. They are somewhat similar

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Question MM:

Does Patric have the quickness to guard the 3 or do you think he'll play the 4 when on court with Brow?
    Young would defend the 5. He can defend some low post 4's like Z-Bo too. But if he and AD are on the court, he is defending the 5. And no, I don't think you put him on 3's. And even if he could, who do you have at the 4 and 5 that doesn't absolutely kill your spacing when combined with Young? Only answer would be Ryno and AD, but with those 3 out there (which I don't think they ever would be), AD would guard the 3's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Withey is like young, only he can't defend but he can block shots, while young can defend but can't block shots like withey does. On offense...eh. Rebounding sucks on defense for both. They are somewhat similar
    Withey might be one of the worst P&R defending big men in the league because of his feet. Young will be great at that from Day 1.

Withey has more touch on offense - can actually knock down a jumper and face up.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I was just watching his DX video and wow. He has a ton of skill especially on the defensive end. Despite some of his red flags offensively and his D rebounding, what a great get. Dell's a smart man lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    I was just watching his DX video and wow. He has a ton of skill especially on the defensive end. Despite some of his red flags offensively and his D rebounding, what a great get. Dell's a smart man lol
    And the intangibles might be his best asset. Fantastic guy who busts his butt. Tough as nails and a winner.

Very true. But thats still more than 99% of the undrafted guys on summer league rosters. Shows they had significant interest and really want him to make the team.
    For sure, and it's more than you'd make in a season in DLeague IIRC.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Ok so a possible 5 man rotaton of bigs could look like

PF: Davis, Anderson, Young
    C: Asik, Withey, Young

I'd assume we'd keep Withey over Ajinca in this scenario.

That looks like it would work to me.

The piece was well written and articulate. I love that he was open and honest about the draft night experience and it makes you root for guys like this. I hope he tears it up and makes the team! Let's go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Ok so a possible 5 man rotaton of bigs could look like

PF: Davis, Anderson, Young
    C: Asik, Withey, Young

I'd assume we'd keep Withey over Ajinca in this scenario.

That looks like it would work to me.
    Wouldn't mind keeping Babbitt too for Ryno insurance

It also speaks to how they see Russ Smith. They had the opportunity to draft him Young with the Philly pick and went with Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A View Post
    It also speaks to how they see Russ Smith. They had the opportunity to draft him Young with the Philly pick and went with Smith.
    Good point. Probably looked at the teams drafting after them and took an educated guess as to which guy was more likely to go undrafted. Worked out great for them.

If you would have told me going into that night that they would add Smith and Young and lose the rights to Pierre, I would have been a very happy man.

Our PG on-the-ball defense is gonna be sick with Jrue, Austin and Russ. Then throw in the rim-protectors we now have. All of our bigs block shots.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Bizarre we got him. Thought he was exactly the kinda player we needed pre-draft. No clue how he went undrafted.

Two four year guys coming from solid programs, that should be able to contribute this season. Best case scenario we can get both of them to contribute the way Draymond Green has done for the Warriors...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Good point. Probably looked at the teams drafting after them and took an educated guess as to which guy was more likely to go undrafted. Worked out great for them.

If you would have told me going into that night that they would add Smith and Young and lose the rights to Pierre, I would have been a very happy man.
    To get both of them, while starting the night without a draft pick, is awesome.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Dude should be able to instantly come onto an roster and defend bigs almost as good as the next guy. Given his strength/power and athleticism, something would have to be severely wrong for this guy to not make the roster.

Thread Information