Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pelton calls Russ Smith "Best playmaker" at Summer League

Blog Entries

Pelton calls Russ Smith "Best playmaker" at Summer League

From the article (insider)--

"Best playmaker: Russ Smith | New Orleans Pelicans

"Russdiculous" has become a pass-first show in Vegas, sometimes to the point where Smith has been too unselfish looking for teammates. Nobody can stay in front of Smith on the perimeter, allowing him to dish out a league-best 7.7 assists per game. Only one other player (Ray McCallum of the Sacramento Kings) is averaging even five assists."

Nice to see the rookie getting some props for his play.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Needs more control improve jumper and he will be a player for us

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    This is great to hear.

He's been fun to watch so far. Can't ask for more than that at this point.

Russ will no doubt work his *** off in the next two months leading up to training camp, to improve on his weaknesses. Russ has a huge chip on his shoulder. Can't wait until the season starts....

I asked Pelton after the draft - "Am I crazy to think Russ can be better than Shabazz (Napier)"

His response was -"Yes, because Shabazz is a true PG."

Glad to see he is willing to change his mind. And I stick by it. I never got why Shabazz got hype and Russ didn't. Very similar offensive numbers but Russ ate his lunch when they matched up and Russ is a 1000 times better defender
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I asked Pelton after the draft - "Am I crazy to think Russ can be better than Shabazz (Napier)"

Glad to see he is willing to change his mind. And I stick by it. I never got why Shabazz got hype and Russ didn't. Very similar offensive numbers but Russ ate his lunch when they matched up and Russ is a 1000 times better defender
    Because Lebron didn't tweet about Russ

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Because Lebron didn't tweet about Russ
    So true. Makes me wonder who he was tweeting about the year before when Russ was leading Louisville to the title

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    His defense and hustle will keep him in the league. Add in his ability to catch fire on the other side and his crafty passing and I think it's possible hes our backup PG of the future.
    @DanielVeuleman

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   

Yeah I saw that conversation and was about to bring it up. I really like Russ, think he definitely has a future.

Pres of the fan club. Might pass up Anderson as my favorite player.

Besides the face of the franchise of course

I have a bit of a fear that he will be causing some arguments on this board. Monty won't play him much, and on the nights we win it will be quiet. When he doesn't play him and we lose, Monty will be bashed for it. I see it coming now.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    I have a bit of a fear that he will be causing some arguments on this board. Monty won't play him much, and on the nights we win it will be quiet. When he doesn't play him and we lose, Monty will be bashed for it. I see it coming now.
    I really hope not. I really don't think our back up guard should make any difference and at this point Austin is definitely better. I hope everyone realizes Russ is not going to help this team right now. Maybe he can get a few minutes to harass the other team's PG, but he really shouldn't play much. I'm a big Russ fan, but he shouldn't play yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    I really hope not. I really don't think our back up guard should make any difference and at this point Austin is definitely better. I hope everyone realizes Russ is not going to help this team right now. Maybe he can get a few minutes to harass the other team's PG, but he really shouldn't play much. I'm a big Russ fan, but he shouldn't play yet.
    Oh my God dude are you ****ing kidding me???? Austin Rivers sucks huge **** and will never be worth ****. Russ would take this idiot to school any day of the weak. There is NO comparison.

Well that didn't take long. Jury is out on Austin as a PG but same can be said of Russ, who is actually older than Austin. I'd predict that, barring injury, Russ's playing time will be limited this year. And that's fine. Part of building a winning organization is developing your rookie talent. Both Smith and Young are veteran college players coming into the league (unlike Austin), so you can argue they are more game ready. But there is still a major adjustment for almost all college players. Let these guys sit and learn. The organization obviously likes Smith as they gave him a multi-year deal as a second round pick. Austin is far from a finished product, but he's got two years in the league and in our system. He's shown some real growth as a player, particularly on the defensive side and as a catch and shoot spacer. His handle and stronger finishing at the rim make him a legit threat to penetrate and draw fouls (while his foul shooting has remained atrocious for a guard). This year will be key for determining whether Rivers will be a legit rotation player for us going forward. I've seen enough to be encouraged that he can be.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSULSULSU View Post
    Oh my God dude are you ****ing kidding me???? Austin Rivers sucks huge **** and will never be worth ****. Russ would take this idiot to school any day of the weak. There is NO comparison.
    I just wanna quote this because this is an awful post.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    I just wanna quote this because this is an awful post.
    good god I couldn't say it better lmao thats one of those posts that makes you squint like fry

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by LSULSULSU View Post
    You should probably start paying better attention before you post. Watch some video, do some research because when you post things like this you just seem like a complete joke. If you continue to post like that, people on this board will just embarrass you. Maybe try and put more thought into your next post bud.

You should probably start paying better attention before you post. Watch some video, do some research because when you post things like this you just seem like a complete joke. If you continue to post like that, people on this board will just embarrass you. Maybe try and put more thought into your next post bud.
    I like how you ended it in bud people ALWAYS take offense to that like when chicks say Hun lmao It's a ninja insult

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by isitsunday View Post
    I like how you ended it in bud people ALWAYS take offense to that like when chicks say Hun lmao It's a ninja insult
    You already know

Why would our backup PG not make a difference if they are playing 6-13 MPG? Russ Smith should make a difference. Why would Russ not help this team right now? Russ Smith is an NBA ready player. This is not someone who needs a ton of time. He is already a better PG than Austin Rivers. He can get into the lane, pass and score better than Austin Rivers. He may be better defensively already as well. Austin Rivers can catch and shoot better I'm assuming. Not sure what else.

Then Monty should be gone if he won't play rookies who can contribute already. Would Monty have sat Michael Carter-Williams on the bench for basically no playing time? MCW who averaged 16.7 pts, 6.2 rebounds, 6.3 assists as a rookie PG.

What about Tyreke Evans as a rookie when he went for 20-5-5. Would Tyreke have been on the bench under Monty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Pres of the fan club. Might pass up Anderson as my favorite player.

Besides the face of the franchise of course
    You have good taste in players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    His defense and hustle will keep him in the league. Add in his ability to catch fire on the other side and his crafty passing and I think it's possible hes our backup PG of the future.
    Possible backup PG of the future? There is no reason for him not to be the backup PG right now.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-19-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isitsunday View Post
    good god I couldn't say it better lmao thats one of those posts that makes you squint like fry

MCW is anything but a very good player. He simply isn't. He has padded stats because he played on the most horrible team ever, for heavy minutes. On any team that had any intention to contend, he wouldn't have touched the court a lot imo

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    MCW is anything but a very good player. He simply isn't. He has padded stats because he played on the most horrible team ever, for heavy minutes. On any team that had any intention to contend, he wouldn't have touched the court a lot imo
    Well he did shoot only 40.5% and .264 3P% so MCW needs to improve his shooting. Ahh, so stats are meaningless now when players put up impressive numbers on terrible teams.

Look at Ty Lawson as a rookie. He shot the highest FG % of his career. 51.5% playing 20.2 MPG mostly off the bench. 8.3 points and 3.1 assists.

Thread Information