Pelicans Report

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer League

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican_Brief View Post
    Is a potential Dwight Howard not a good comparison for Young? That's all I see when I see him out there.
    IDK
    But he rebounded better than expected
    I think he had 6 offensive and 7 defensive for a total of 13 in limited minutes
    Seems like HE made the best of his opportunity
    And that means he is probably coachable

But he and Withey did not clique

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    But he and Withey did not clique
    I don't think they saw anytime out on the floor together, unless it was very little.

I hope to see Russ Smith adjust and expand on his midrange pull up game. Most of his passes right now are kick outs. If he can freeze bigs on the P&R in the midrange game it'll open the lane for drives or dishes

Patric Young:

11 points and 13 rebounds in 19 minutes

i like it.

13 rebounds? That must be his life high, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I fully expect Rivers to break out this season. Moreover, I would think that he and Russ would be VERY fun to watch as a defensive duo harassing ball-handlers left and right.
    Props Slim. You have an unwavering love for Rivers. I respect that. I personally don't think Rivers potential will amount to a hill of beans but props for being a true fan.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Russ went 8/17 and had more turnovers than assists. Let's breath for a second guy. At least let him play two games before he's better than our 10 pick who has went against NBA players for two years.
    I'll give the kid a pass in his first ever nba action in the first half especially when he came out so effectively in the second half.
    Wherehappens.

He was 1-7, so that means he was 7-10 once he adjusted. He gave a great reason for his struggles in the first half, and the ability to adjust so quickly is something you have to give props to. The turnovers ceased in the 4th quarter too and the assists piled up in those last few minutes.

Gonna throw this out there - Is Russ the Tim Tebow of basketball? Bad all game and then unstoppable in the final 5 minutes??
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He was 1-7, so that means he was 7-10 once he adjusted. He gave a great reason for his struggles in the first half, and the ability to adjust so quickly is something you have to give props to. The turnovers ceased in the 4th quarter too and the assists piled up in those last few minutes.

Gonna throw this out there - Is Russ the Tim Tebow of basketball? Bad all game and then unstoppable in the final 5 minutes??
    I had to make an account just so I can say....This is exactly what ran through my head as I was watching that comeback...Tebow is that you lmao

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I mean, did people even hear Russ's post game interview? Dude actually started watching his opponents for pointers and mentioned things like how the floor spacing is completely different thanks to the 3pt line. In college, come off a screen and with his speed he's in floater/layup range but now he's in midrange...range.

If that ain't promising, don't know what is.

As if Pat Young and Russ weren't already on the team b/c of their contracts...

they cemented it last night.

I was also impressed with what Howard contributed. I hope that wouldn't be his usual effort on D though. Maybe the knees just are shot at this point. I'd still take him over Miller/Southerland though.

Side note: how do we ALWAYS look so terrible in Summer League? At least in first halves. Like it's just plain bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I mean, did people even hear Russ's post game interview? Dude actually started watching his opponents for pointers and mentioned things like how the floor spacing is completely different thanks to the 3pt line. In college, come off a screen and with his speed he's in floater/layup range but now he's in midrange...range.

If that ain't promising, don't know what is.
    It took Russ a half a game to figure this out and Rivers is going on year 3 still trying to figure this out.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    Side note: how do we ALWAYS look so terrible in Summer League? At least in first halves. Like it's just plain bad.
    I assume by ALWAYS you mean the last two or three seasons. I think it is a simple answer really. We haven't really had any young talent to play on our summer league teams those seasons.

Lets start with the year we drafted AD and Rivers...AD was held out and Rivers got hurt early on so our best young talent was Miller at that point. Not a lot to hang your hat on.

Last year was probably the best year of all three seasons and our best player was Rivers. You have Roberts, Rivers, Miller and an unpolished 2nd rounder in Pierre Jackson. Still not really a complete summer league roster really. Withey joined in later because the trade happened right around the same time that summer league was starting.

This year we will see... But so far Withey is our most experienced young player and you have a 2nd rounder in Smith and an un-drafted FA in Young.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Props Slim. You have an unwavering love for Rivers. I respect that. I personally don't think Rivers potential will amount to a hill of beans but props for being a true fan.
    Appreciate it man

I'm to the point where, man, I just want him to do it for himself. He has been scrutinized to the max by fans and media, and none of it is his fault (can't help who ya daddy is). He's actually a really humble guy who is just doing what he loves. He works so hard, and he deserves to have success at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    It took Russ a half a game to figure this out and Rivers is going on year 3 still trying to figure this out.
    Lol. Come on. I like Russ Smith quite a bit too. But Rivers has at least went against NBA talent and showed he can drive on them.

Heck, Russ had almost 3x's the turnovers as Rivers did in D league. There's a huge difference between recognizing something and being able to consistently capitalize on it.

I don't understand the need for people (not just you) to feel like they need to put down Rivers to build up Russ. They both have different skill sets. I actually want both of them to be good because I think that backcourt defense would be awesome to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Lol. Come on. I like Russ Smith quite a bit too. But Rivers has at least went against NBA talent and showed he can drive on them.

Heck, Russ had almost 3x's the turnovers as Rivers did in D league. There's a huge difference between recognizing something and being able to consistently capitalize on it.

I don't understand the need for people (not just you) to feel like they need to put down Rivers to build up Russ. They both have different skill sets. I actually want both of them to be good because I think that backcourt defense would be awesome to watch.
    Yeah and Rivers is younger than Smith. Russ isn't a one and done 19 year old. Much more seasoned than Rivers was at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican_Brief View Post
    I don't think they saw anytime out on the floor together, unless it was very little.
    I watched the replay tonight. They played together for 3 minutes and 40 seconds mostly in the second quarter

Did you guys see Jrue's little brother light it up for Golden State with almost 29 points 12 rebounds. He's 6'6 and could definitely help with depth at the SF position. Not saying he's a starter but he could wind up being a back-up.

19 point comeback
    Russicoulis became Russanity in the fourth quarter especially in the last 5 minutes. He can dribble or drive with his right or left hand. He is a better than average passer. He turns over the ball more than average but can recover on D. He can dribble in the lane. He can create and shoot off the dribble. He is not a great FT or 3 point shooter. He played over 27 minutes in a 40 minute game. He is a good transition passer and scorer. He can use both hands. He can finish at rim against taller players. He doesn't foul despite playing aggressive on D. He can draw fouls. He is a tough competitor and has a high basketball IQ. He has a cross over, eurostep type dribble. He is a leader and talks a lot on O and D. He is a clutch shooter. He has good court vision. He sometimes gives up dribble and leaves his feet causing unnecessary turnovers. He can dribble in the lane. He is a winner!!!

Justin, Jure Holiday brother has 30/13 and 2-5 from the 3

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Did you guys see Jrue's little brother light it up for Golden State with almost 29 points 12 rebounds. He's 6'6 and could definitely help with depth at the SF position. Not saying he's a starter but he could wind up being a back-up.
    Was a nice performance...

Patric Young:
    He has an NBA body. He played limited minutes but had 13 rebounds. 6 on offense and 7 on defense. He has a nicer than expected touch on offense and can use both hands to put the ball in the basket. He is a poor pick player which is hard to understand given his size. He can't roll to the basket and has poor handles receiving the ball in the roll. He has a weird hitch in his FT shooting but shoots better FT than expected. He is a good switcher on D. He works hard to recover on D. He has soft hand on O. He is better conditioned than other players and doesn't even break a sweat although he did only play limited minutes. He communicates well on D. He can draw fouls and get to free throw line. He can't convert in the paint on O. He is active in the lane especially on D. He is a good outlet passer. He clears boards with authority. He is not a good shot blocker. He plays good help D. He can put the ball on floor. He can create turnovers. He has a better than expected short range game. He knows his limits. He struggles to get to the rim.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 07-12-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Jeff Withey:
    He doesn't get to the line. He is a poor shooter unless he's dunking. He is poor at perimeter D. He can shoot FT's. He can block near the rim. He can't makes picks. He can play high post. He is a pretty good defensive rebounder. He can't play perimeter D. He's got poorer than average handles.

Thread Information