Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Should we go after Michael Beasley?

Some other facts at mid season that showed the Heat were actually better with Beasley on the floor. The Heat posted an offensive rating of 111.3 and a defensive rating of 96.9 when Beasley is on the floor. Bosh's presence on the court produced an offensive rating of 107.5 and a defensive rating of 99.4, per NBA.com.

Quote Originally Posted by studentofthegam View Post
    Don't you love how everyone ran away when the numbers/facts started coming out? I think it shows a lot that you were the only one who stayed and backed up your **** talking.
    ok look we were having a good debate relax, everyone left because you talk like this.
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    That looks nice but it isn't the story. If I told you withey played about 5 minutes a game for half the season and averaged 3-4pts, 2-3rbs, and maybe 1blk, his per36 would be around 24pts, 17rbs and 7blks.
    Beasley averaged 16 minutes so those are not comparable examples.

Some other facts at mid season that showed the Heat were actually better with Bosh on the floor. The Heat posted an offensive rating of 111.3 and a defensive rating of 96.9 when Beasley is on the floor. Bosh's presence on the court produced an offensive rating of 107.5 and a defensive rating of 99.4, per NBA.com.
    Don't you think this could be due to the fact that Bosh played large portions of the game and Beasley only played at the end of blowouts or simply sporadically?

Beasley averaged 16 minutes so those are not comparable examples.
    he only played in 55 games, he straight up was benched for the others.

Don't you think this could be due to the fact that Bosh played large portions of the game and Beasley only played at the end of blowouts or simply sporadically?
    If we are going to use MM's example of how the Heat were worse with Beasley why can't this one be used to show they were better?
    Last edited by studentofthegam; 07-07-2014 at 12:36 AM.

he only played in 55 games, he straight up was benched for the others.
    The Heat were 2 time champions and had a very good team.

If we are going to use MM's example of how the Heat were worse with Beasley why can't this one be used to show they where better?
    MM's example is not just the Heat, it was his entire career. I'm not saying your example doesn't count, it is just you are arguing how well he did this past year when he didn't really play that much, yea ~15mpg but only in 55 games. He played the least amount of time in his entire career this year. MM's was looking at a much bigger sample

The Heat were 2 time champions and had a very good team.
    That's true, don't you think that helped his numbers too? That probably did effect his playing time, but that still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't played much and he needs to do more to change most people's perception of him.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    In which way is he a better fit?
    We don’t need another guy jacking up shots.

We need a guy who can do the little things, a glue guy.
    A guy who takes 5-6 shots a game and hits half of them.
    We need a guy who play’s credible defence and spreads the floor.

I’d rather Miller or Southerland than Beasley 10 times out of 10.
    First didn't say he was a good fit I said he filled a position of need not the same thing. Also Beasley made half of his shots last year and shot well from behind the arc. And he's defense of intensity looked much better just from recall.

I'm not saying Beasley is plan A or B maybe not even C-E, but if we are at plan F and we still don't have an answer if Beasley comes reasonable priced I think it would be foolish not to kick the tires on him especially if it's a one year or partially guaranteed contract.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 07-07-2014 at 02:13 PM.

That's true, don't you think that helped his numbers too? That probably did effect his playing time, but that still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't played much and he needs to do more to change most people's perception of him.
    He's not perfect but I think he has shown enough for us to take a chance on him. In the past, Beasley was miscast as a star scorer, an offensive focal point expected to do just about everything. In Miami, he was asked to take shots within the flow of the team's offense and it worked so much better for him.

He's not perfect but I think he has shown enough for us to take a chance on him. In the past, Beasley was miscast as a star scorer, an offensive focal point expected to do just about everything. In Miami, he was asked to take shots within the flow of the team's offense and it worked so much better for him.
    fair enough. that's a much better and more reasonable argument. I still think I need to see him have a full year playing with the efficiency he had in his short time in Miami this year before I'd take a chance on him. I just wish we'd finally make a move, it has been a slow offseason, it seems pretty much every idea has been thrown out there already

Weather

fair enough. that's a much better and more reasonable argument. I still think I need to see him have a full year playing with the efficiency he had in his short time in Miami this year before I'd take a chance on him. I just wish we'd finally make a move, it has been a slow offseason, it seems pretty much every idea has been thrown out there already
    The problem with that is it might be too late by then. It's better to be the team that gets that production now because you get it almost risk free. Beasley goes somewhere and is a solid contributor for a year his asking price goes up. Again this isn't saying let's run out and waste our full MLE on Beasley. This is saying let's find the best fit at the 3 we can possible find. If we strike out then Michael Beasley may be an option Dow the line depending on cost.

Yeah, it's been quite a boring offseason. Everyone keeps saying that it will pick up after the LBJ/Melo saga is over, I hope they're right.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    The problem with that is it might be too late by then. It's better to be the team that gets that production now because you get it almost risk free. Beasley goes somewhere and is a solid contributor for a year his asking price goes up. Again this isn't saying let's run out and waste our full MLE on Beasley. This is saying let's find the best fit at the 3 we can possible find. If we strike out then Michael Beasley may be an option Dow the line depending on cost.
    I mean yea that is the gamble. You take a chance on a guy not many want, if it works out you look good if not you look bad. Hindsight is 20/20. Just because he'll be cheap doesn't mean it is close to risk free. Its just my opinion that he hasn't shown enough for us to give him even a one year deal. It isn't like he made a 100% turnaround, issues with his focus came up again. I don't think it is worth it even if we have no SF. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    First didn't say he was a good fit I say he filled a position of need not the same thing. Also Beasley made half of his shots last hear and shot well from behind the arc. And he's defense of intensity looked much better just from recall.

I'm not saying Beasley is plan A or B maybe not even C-E, but if we are at plan F and we still don't have an answer if Beasley comes reasonable priced I think it would be foolish not to kick the tires on him especially if it's a one year or partially guaranteed contract.

Agreed…. Plan E to F……Then all I would worry about is if he becomes an issue in the locker room.

Should we go after Michael Beasley?

So my biggest concern with him is he only took 15% of his shots from 3pt. For comparison he took more from the "dumb zone" than from 3. It's also concerning that he put up his best numbers in the season he got his least minutes and that as has been pointed out, kid way through the season it could be argued he was playing better than Bosh but he somehow finds himself out of the rotation by playoffs. Why? If he is putting up great numbers what do you have to do to get benched by the coach?

Something else that is an issue is he has a high usage rate. If he got starter minutes he'd average 17 shots a game. Keep in mind that's with more coming from the dumb zone than 3. Over 50% of his offense comes within 10ft of the basket. Having Tyreke and Asik this makes him. Very poor fit IMO. I like the rebounding but it's something we don't really need when we have one of the best defensive rebounders in the game. What we need is a SF who can stretch the floor.

With the curious case of him losing his rotational spot, being high usage, getting career low minutes, and not being a good fit for the team, He would not be my first choice.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 07-07-2014 at 07:35 AM. Reason: yes

When I get home, I'd like to do a comparison of him and Aminu's last season, just for ****s and giggles.

Hall of Famer ScoutWithoutClout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    MichaelMcNamara: But you said to think of Beasley as a more talented Aminu with the ability to shoot. their games are in no ways similar. Aminu and Beasley's games are in no way similar.

So, let's discuss. Show us all your brilliant basketball mind and earn the boards respect.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNGnsclDl-4
    "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."—Charles Barkley

they are both very good rebounders for the small forward position, they are also both elite athletes. those are the main two similarities. watch any video of beasley on youtube, he's more dynamic and the best option for the price. also if you read comments on bleacher report after heat games, the fans really wanted to see more of beasley

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    they are both very good rebounders for the small forward position, they are also both elite athletes. those are the main two similarities. watch any video of beasley on youtube, he's more dynamic and the best option for the price. also if you read comments on bleacher report after heat games, the fans really wanted to see more of beasley
    But what's his price?

thats a great point. he's had locker room negative impact for his whole career. its a risk we have to take though because he'll only command a 1 year deal, and we need a winning season. i remember this guy scoring 30 against ariza when he was with us, and theres not many free agents at the 3 that we can attract, that can put up 30 that easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QzL2-_dFck

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutWithoutClout View Post
    thats a great point. he's had locker room negative impact for his whole career. its a risk we have to take though because he'll only command a 1 year deal, and we need a winning season. i remember this guy scoring 30 against ariza when he was with us, and theres not many free agents at the 3 that we can attract, that can put up 30 that easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QzL2-_dFck
    All before he smoked too much gunja.

dude have u worked in the league or talked to people who do? 90% of the nba smokes ganja. they're told in advance when their drug tests are so they can detox

Thread Information