Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we go after Michael Beasley?

Pelicans Should we go after Michael Beasley?

I know he has had issues in the past, but by all accounts, he was a good teammate and exhibited model behavior with the Heat. I believe he has matured to an extent and may be hungry and ready to contribute significantly to a team that will give him a starting position. Defense is suspect, but he could maybe get better under Monty and Asik would mask some of those defensive errors. He would be a significant upgrade over what we have had at the SF position since an old Jamal Mashburn...

I'd offer him the mid level exception and a starting role..... Then maybe I wouldn't disagree with bringing Aminu back as crazy as that sounds for defensive purposes... What do y'all think?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Lol

Again with Beasley.
    Using Tapatalk

By all accounts he was good? Here is a paragraph from an article just two weeks ago:

'The summer should be an interesting one for former second overall pick Michael Beasley, who is a free agent and is not likely to return to Miami after a disappointing second stint with the club. NBA sources said James was not pleased with Beasley’s focus and he lost the confidence of coach Erik Spoelstra shortly into the season. In one sequence that typified his career, Beasley swooped in for a tip-dunk in Game 5 of the NBA Finals. On the Spurs’ next possession, Beasley got lost on a pick-and-roll, allowing Diaw an open 3-pointer, which of course he swished. Beasley is likely to get a one-year deal on the open market and his past year in Miami did little to help his reputation.'

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...TSL/story.html

Terrible human being, below average basketball player, and not a fit at all skill set wise. Other than that though....
    @mcnamara247

I don't think Beasley is a person we think of as a fit here
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

What's this passion with beasley? I seriously don't get it. He's crap. More than that, he's toxic crap

No way......I smell cannabis just with the mention of his name......

I've wanted Beasley here for basketball purposes but it appears by now if we don't sign Bynum as well to be his friend he won't fit here.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    By all accounts he was good? Here is a paragraph from an article just two weeks ago:

'The summer should be an interesting one for former second overall pick Michael Beasley, who is a free agent and is not likely to return to Miami after a disappointing second stint with the club. NBA sources said James was not pleased with Beasley’s focus and he lost the confidence of coach Erik Spoelstra shortly into the season. In one sequence that typified his career, Beasley swooped in for a tip-dunk in Game 5 of the NBA Finals. On the Spurs’ next possession, Beasley got lost on a pick-and-roll, allowing Diaw an open 3-pointer, which of course he swished. Beasley is likely to get a one-year deal on the open market and his past year in Miami did little to help his reputation.'

Terrible human being, below average basketball player, and not a fit at all skill set wise. Other than that though....
    In fairness to Beasley that article doesn't say he was bad in the locker room just lost focus which could happen given his lack of playing time. Not an excuse just saying that may not be the case if he's getting mins. Also this is from a completely unknown source and if it's anything about this time of the year fans should learn it's that all sources aren't good sources.

Not sure he's a great fit, but given our goal and our likely cap space to complete said goal if we could get Beasley on the cheap I wouldn't be against taking the gamble. Though I highly doubt Demps or Williams would.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Apparently there is some bizarre spear counterpart to girls liking bad boys or something?

LeBron said he was gonna take Beasley under his wing, and then gave up on him. It's over, he's not a good human being. Seems to have always been too. His basketball is not gonna make up for it.

Is he a good defender? no. Does he have a good outside shot? not really. Does he bring any veteran presence i.e. knowledge acquired from playing in the league a couple years to the table? not really. That about sums it up, he isn't what we need
    never assume

I'd rather us play without a SF and go 4 on 5 then to get Beasley

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    What's this passion with beasley? I seriously don't get it. He's crap. More than that, he's toxic crap
    Looking at his numbers he's not bad and could be a good pick up. He shot .499% from the field .389 from 3 averaging 1 attempt per game. Not sure how he look in team defense, but without going back through synergy(at work) just based off of memory he seemed to be a decent on ball defender.

I don't know enough to comment on the toxic part(clearly there's something with Beasley), but he's not crap. Given our cap situation ,especially if we aren't trading members of the core, if he could be had for a cheap one year deal I'd be all for it. IMO it'll be one of the lower risk moves Dell has made in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Looking at his numbers he's not bad and could be a good pick up. He shot .499% from the field .389 from 3 averaging 1 attempt per game. Not sure how he look in team defense, but without going back through synergy(at work) just based off of memory he seemed to be a decent on ball defender.

I don't know enough to comment on the toxic part(clearly there's something with Beasley), but he's not crap. Given our cap situation ,especially if we aren't trading members of the core, if he could be had for a cheap one year deal I'd be all for it. IMO it'll be one of the lower risk moves Dell has made in recent memory.
    I agree. The only way I bring him in if it's for like super super cheap. I mean like 42 dollars, a piece of lint and half eaten donut.

3 people like him, so three threads were started. It is obvious that the overwhelming majority of posters are on the other side on this discussion. But it only takes one person to start a thread, so here we are.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 07-04-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Hornets fan since day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

So there's a chance?

I haven't heard any stories about him being a bad person, unless smoking weed is an evil thing.

I hope the team doesn't 'go after' him, but I wouldn't mind if they extended him a camp invite. Anything more than a 1 year minimum deal is too much for him, though.

I wish he wasn't so dumb.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    He seems to have less trouble when in Miami but possibly they don't want him back after last season? Last year may be his last serious stint in the NBA for redemption, he just doesn't seem to have it all upstairs to be a consistent contributor in this league. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a foreign country or basically being journeyman surviving(in NBA terms lol) from 10 day contract to contract.
    Last edited by wuggie; 07-04-2014 at 07:52 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Off court is least of his concerns. In small minutes with good teammates and a good system last year was a chance for him to show he could constrain himself and play efficient, team-oriented basketball. He failed, and as a result he didn't get minutes. Don't get me wrong, he was better last year. He shot a good percentage from 3, his ancillary stats were better than they've been since his second year by a significant margin, he no longer flirted with having more shots than points. He's still a net negative. The big issue is usage and lack of defense. He finished the play, either scoring or turnover, 25% when he was on the floor. That's the same as Anthony Davis last year. It was also roughly the lowest usage of his career. Here, he'd be, charitably, the 6th best option on the team offensively. It's been fairly stable throughout; he gives no sense he could pick his spots. He takes stupid shots and thinks he's much better than he is (he was that good in college). He's never posted a positive net rating, and his defense is lackadaisical and subjectively awful. He doesn't care. He's easily the most complete and best offensive talent at SF available to us; he doesn't get it and didn't get it in a perfect situation. In our current roster, I think he reverts from the guy in Miami who took decent shots and still didn't help them win to the guy in Phoenix who jacks up terrible shots and takes the ball from their better options. I'm not sure there's ever been a clearer situation of addition by subtraction than Phoenix with Beasley last year. He is the last thing we need and if signed, I think he loses us games compared to James Southerland.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I haven't heard any stories about him being a bad person, unless smoking weed is an evil thing.

I hope the team doesn't 'go after' him, but I wouldn't mind if they extended him a camp invite. Anything more than a 1 year minimum deal is too much for him, though.

I wish he wasn't so dumb.
    bad person may be a stretch but refusing to give up a stupid habit not just for yourself but for your team is certainly selfish. Driving under the influence is also selfish and puts others lives at risk. Fighting fans at a street ball tournament never looks good either.

If I was Dell and I wanted to get fired, extending the MLE to this guy would be my go to move.

Wow, 26.2 points per game and 12,4 rebounds per game while shooting 53.25 from the field and 37.9% from 3 pt land in college.

Those stats were better than Durant's who played one year earlier in the same conference.

And the dude is still 25 years old too. Is there a bigger waste of talent? Can he come around? It would be swinging for the fences. But I wouldn't do it if it were my job on the line.

Go for it Dell. Anything to bring Aminu back!

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/8/8...rug-arrest-nba

Great, and I mean great, college player. Like I would have taken him over DRose. But game doesn't always translate. He's been actively harmful every year but the first two in his career.

This.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Thread Information