Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Doing the Asik Trade WITHOUT moving a core piece

Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeNOLA View Post
    I dont know how many times I've said that Tyreke and Ryan Anderson are a good pair and is probably best for the TEAM for them to come off the bench.
    Probably as many times as Dell and Monty have said it. But people won't want to hear it because of the stats Tyreke put up as a starter last year.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Probably as many times as Dell and Monty have said it. But people won't want to hear it because of the stats Tyreke put up as a starter last year.
    Yes I agree. If I'm not mistaken Tyreke avg close to 20 ppg coming off the bench once we got a couple of (basically) fully healthy games under our belts. I think the time frame was around mid Dec to early Jan I believe. So it can work. With Ryan Anderson coming off the bench that unit needs a driver a penetrator, Since ryan anderson would bring a big away from the paint. And with the starters (now adding asik to the fold) we need a shooter on the perimeter or a guy that can do both. what would make the 2nd unit even better if we could find a respectable 3 that can rotate with that group so that the opposing team can not pull a Wilson Chandler on us. (putting the 3 on Anderson and hiding their 4 on Aminu) on the games I have watched, after Denver did this other teams took noticed and some stared to do the same thing.

I don't think he would come off the bench with Asik as the starter.

Reke and Ryno are best off together. Gordon would start, so luckily we won't have to worry about how much his pouting would hurt the locker room
    MM you would know better than I but didn't Reke complain alot about coming off the bench (I think he's production as a starter as oppose to off the bench showed it)? Personally if I was Monty, I really wouldn't care what Gordon thinks about coming off the bench. He is always complaining and doesn't want to be there regardless. I say start Reke to pair up with Holiday (which is a way better combo) and have Gordon come off the bench with Ryno. If Gordon doesn't like it then let him opt out next year and prove he can be a number 1 guy somewhere else and let Rivers take his spot. I'm tired of the Pelicans trying to baby him.

Hopefully Dell can make the deal with the Clippers...Aminu,Smith for Dudley and then convince Gordon he can be better than Jamal Crawford coming off the bench....I know I'm reaching.....

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    MM you would know better than I but didn't Reke complain alot about coming off the bench (I think he's production as a starter as oppose to off the bench showed it)? Personally if I was Monty, I really wouldn't care what Gordon thinks about coming off the bench. He is always complaining and doesn't want to be there regardless. I say start Reke to pair up with Holiday (which is a way better combo) and have Gordon come off the bench with Ryno. If Gordon doesn't like it then let him opt out next year and prove he can be a number 1 guy somewhere else and let Rivers take his spot. I'm tired of the Pelicans trying to baby him.
    No. Tyreke told Monty that he prefers to come off the bench, but he never complained. Said it was easier to get into the flow.

Jrue and Reke are a better combo defensively, but with Asik here now, I think Jrue and Gordon might compliment that front court better offensively.

And the wild card here is - What Eric Gordon are we getting? What if all the whispers are true and Gordon will come into this season healthier and stronger than ever?

Nobody wants Gordon gone more than me, but if he is here, I expect him to be the starter. And not because he will whine about coming off the bench, but because he will be the better fit with the starting unit.

Does anybody else think it is kind of ironic that people mention Gordon as a bad locker room guy that will pout and cause a fit if he doesn't start yet it seems like the new guy who we just traded for in Asik actually DID do this yet it gets swept under the rug?

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post

He said he felt more comfortable starting than coming off the bench. Yes that is true, however he bought in to coming off the bench. But also Manu felt the same way. But Pop convinced him that it was best for the team for him to come off the bench. Now that would be Monty's job, being that he said he envisioned him being this team's manu. I'm all for what's best for the team. Whether Tyreke is a starter or coming off the bench. However, as the team stands now, it is best for him to come of the bench with Ryan Anderson. That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by PrimeTimeNOLA; 07-03-2014 at 07:42 PM.

No. Tyreke told Monty that he prefers to come off the bench, but he never complained. Said it was easier to get into the flow.

Jrue and Reke are a better combo defensively, but with Asik here now, I think Jrue and Gordon might compliment that front court better offensively.

And the wild card here is - What Eric Gordon are we getting? What if all the whispers are true and Gordon will come into this season healthier and stronger than ever?

Nobody wants Gordon gone more than me, but if he is here, I expect him to be the starter. And not because he will whine about coming off the bench, but because he will be the better fit with the starting unit.
    This should be the first time since his Clippers days that he comes into the start of training camp as a full participant and that should help somewhat. How much so is anybody's guess. I would think maybe a 5%-10% increase from the Gordon we saw last year. Hopefully, that is enough for him to raise his trade value during the season or lead him into opting out after next season.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Just want to clarify -- Tyreke told Monty he prefers to start or prefer to come off the bench? I know you said he prefers coming off the bench, but the way it reads makes me believe you meant to say the opposite.

If that's the case I have no issue with EG starting. Rarely hear about players preferring to do this. I've made my peace with whatever happens to him but I just didn't like the idea of him throwing his weight around making demands given what we've gotten from him already.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    Does anybody else think it is kind of ironic that people mention Gordon as a bad locker room guy that will pout and cause a fit if he doesn't start yet it seems like the new guy who we just traded for in Asik actually DID do this yet it gets swept under the rug?
    To be fair, Asik signed a deal with Houston anticipating to be the starter. Then they go out and get D-12 after him being there not that long. He wants to start and he thought he was going to. While I admit I hate players that whine but this situations are different. We signed Gordon to be the guy or one of the guys. We've given him every chance to show something. Not sure Asik really got much of a chance. I understand wanting D-12 over him but if I'm Asik I'm none too happy about that

Sorry - Reke told Monty he prefers to start, but never complained.

I think there are lots of bad correlations being drawn with Tyreke's play last year. I think his play had less to do with what position he played and more to do with health and getting more comfortable with his new team. No matter if he played the 1,2, or 3, we were going to get a much more comfortable and consistent Tyreke in March/April than in bad ankles December/January.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I think there are lots of bad correlations being drawn with Tyreke's play last year. I think his play had less to do with what position he played and more to do with health and getting more comfortable with his new team. No matter if he played the 1,2, or 3, we were going to get a much more comfortable and consistent Tyreke in March/April than in bad ankles December/January.
    And Monty said as much. Also said he loosened the reigns on him at end of year

I just wanted to clarify. Tyreke's production was never tied to him starting. It was tied to the minutes he was getting.

That is my biggest concern going into next year. Has Monty learned his lesson? I hope so.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I just wanted to clarify. Tyreke's production was never tied to him starting. It was tied to the minutes he was getting.

That is my biggest concern going into next year. Has Monty learned his lesson? I hope so.
    I'd also say it was tied to the quality of players he was surrounded with.

And his health.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'd also say it was tied to the quality of players he was surrounded with.
    Yes, that might have played a part too. Although some will try to say that's why he put up good numbers as a starter was because we had no other options. Which of course isn't true. He did it all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post

That number belongs to Mr Anthony Morrow.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Dumping Eric Gordon or Austin Rivers would be addition by subtraction

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Dumping Eric Gordon or Austin Rivers would be addition by subtraction
    Dumping Rivers? Not it wouldnt, he is a decent trade chip
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    Dumping Rivers? Not it wouldnt, he is a decent trade chip
    Not really he still sucks... He's just a fan favorite
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Fire

He's developing and only 21, hardly a finished product. Don't want to trade. He's more valuable to us anyway. Not even worth dumping unless we have to

Thread Information