Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Doing the Asik Trade WITHOUT moving a core piece

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I think you start him at SG and Tyreke at SF. If Monty is a good coach, he'll have to make it work.
    But Monty is the one that made it absolutely clear that Tyreke is a guard in his presser. He will fight tooth and nail on this IMO.

Really, its all just a mess until Gordon gets moved because you are probably right - Tyreke would have to play SF for at least 20 mins a game if Gordon is still here.
    @mcnamara247

I am of the beliefs that if we keep very one and move the players like Ely, Babbit, Withey this team will perform better, and because they are performing better you will see their trade value grow through the season.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Jrue/Gordon/Reke/Davis/Asik

Rivers/??/??/Anderson/Ajinca

I feel like you could get away with Reke at the 3 defensively with Asik and Davis protecting the rim. Gordon, Jrue and Davis all shoot well enough for Evans. Anderson Rivers and Ajinca are solid depth and you sign a couple min. shooters fit backup wings (someone not name "Aminu") and go to war, pray to God almighty that Gordon opts out so we can get a real SF next offseason.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Jrue/Gordon/Reke/Davis/Asik

Rivers/??/??/Anderson/Ajinca

I feel like you could get away with Reke at the 3 defensively with Asik and Davis protecting the rim. Gordon, Jrue and Davis all shoot well enough for Evans. Anderson Rivers and Ajinca are solid depth and you sign a couple min. shooters fit backup wings (someone not name "Aminu") and go to war, pray to God almighty that Gordon opts out so we can get a real SF next offseason.
    What does next offseasons SF pool even look like?
    Jrue dat

How can you say the Reke at SF trial is over, when we never really seen him START at SF? Yes Reke played some minutes at SF but it wasn't with the starters. Majority with the second squad where he was the primary ball handler.

Quote Originally Posted by Smow- View Post
    It's very solid.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 07-03-2014 at 12:44 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by BDAY_ View Post
    How can you say the Reke at SF trial is over, when we never really seen him START at SF? Yes Reke played some minutes at SF but it wasn't with the starters. Majority with the second squad where he was the primary ball handler.
    Nobody here is saying it. Monty is saying it.

And Reke generally came in at about the 6 min mark, so he played SF against starters and Monty said it wore him down and it is not a fit for him.

It might be a necessary evil for next year, but it can't be the long term plan.

Kawhi and Jimmy Butler are the ideals

Followed by :

Wilson Chandler
    Rudy Gay
    Kyle Singler
    Geral Green
    Jeff Green
    Tobias Harris
    Damarre Carroll
    Thad Young
    Jared Dudley

Very small chance MKG could be on their too.

Kawhi and Jimmy Butler are the ideals

Followed by :

Wilson Chandler
    Rudy Gay
    Kyle Singler
    Gerald Green
    Jeff Green
    Tobias Harris
    Damarre Carroll
    Thad Young
    Jared Dudley

Very small chance MKG could be on their too.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 07-03-2014 at 01:00 PM.

I think you meant to say Gobius Koffi.

I think this team is going to make some serous moves this off season they want a winner now and it's time to make some bold decisions . They are still trying to win over fans and attract players in the future and you can't do that waiting to upgrade year after year .

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    I think this team is going to make some serous moves this off season they want a winner now and it's time to make some bold decisions . They are still trying to win over fans and attract players in the future and you can't do that waiting to upgrade year after year .
    Don't know how they get anyone better than Asik. Problem is that casual fans don't appreciate defense, so I don't know if it will have desired PR effect, but once the team starts winning on the court, tickets will be bought.

We traded for Asik that's a huge move. Would it be great to ship Gordon for a great fit at the 3 spot of course, but that's not realistic. Not sure what other serious moves can be made this offseason that benefits the team.

A guard rotation of Jrue/Tyreke/Gordon and big rotation of AD/Asik/Ryno with a 3&D guy on the wing is a contender down the line if AD develops into a top 5 player in the league.

I realize that the Asik move is huge I wanted him last year and I know Rome wasn't built overnight I'm just saying I hope we stay aggressive because we have an elite player AD and I want to see him surrounded with enough talent to be a contender within the next couple of years .

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sujaguar00 View Post
    Nope, Reke starts at SG and Gordon comes off the bench. The failed "Reke at SF" experiment is thankfully over. The Jrue/Evans backcourt is one that MM will tell you is glove in hand...
    I agree that the ideal situation in a vacuum isn't Reke at SF. But I don't think Pelicans will be in a position to create their ideal starting/finishing lineup until Gordon is off the roster. Given who is available and cost of free agents, and what has been offered for Gordon in a trade, I think the best case scenario is Gordon being healthy and playing like some version of his 2010 and 2013 self, and Tyreke being able to give you productive minutes at SF.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Nobody here is saying it. Monty is saying it.

And Reke generally came in at about the 6 min mark, so he played SF against starters and Monty said it wore him down and it is not a fit for him.

It might be a necessary evil for next year, but it can't be the long term plan.
    This was pre-Asik Monty, though right? I think Monty will have to be able/willing to adjust his defense to make sure Tyreke doesn't get worn down, and hopefully they're telling Tyreke what he needs to work on physically in order to hold up better for significant minutes at SF.

...I just believe that Monty and Dell will come to agreement that starting Tyreke at SF is better than starting a lesser wing over either Tyreke or Gordon because 1) Gordon will sulk coming off the bench, and we need him to have a good year 2) Tyreke doesn't play as well coming off the bench.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 07-03-2014 at 02:29 PM.

The Franchise
    This thread makes me sad.
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    This thread makes me sad.
    I agree. This thread makes me incredibly sad. All of those trade rumors building up to this certainly didn't help.

I agree that the ideal situation in a vacuum isn't Reke at SF. But I don't think Pelicans will be in a position to create their ideal starting/finishing lineup until Gordon is off the roster. Given who is available and cost of free agents, and what has been offered for Gordon in a trade, I think the best case scenario is Gordon being healthy and playing like some version of his 2010 and 2013 self, and Tyreke being able to give you productive minutes at SF.

This was pre-Asik Monty, though right? I think Monty will have to be able/willing to adjust his defense to make sure Tyreke doesn't get worn down, and hopefully they're telling Tyreke what he needs to work on physically in order to hold up better for significant minutes at SF.

...I just believe that Monty and Dell will come to agreement that starting Tyreke at SF is better than starting a lesser wing over either Tyreke or Gordon because 1) Gordon will sulk coming off the bench, and we need him to have a good year 2) Tyreke doesn't play as well coming off the bench.
    Yeah Evans at the 3 may be much more of a necessity(and less of a liability) now that we have Asik and really little to no cap space to get better at that wing position. Not to mention the other point you made about Gordon not wanting to come off the bench and Evans statically being so much better as a starter. Since Eric and Jrue are capable 3pt shooters it doesn't kill our spacing. It may raise some troubles defensively, but we don't really have much of a choice if we are stuck with Gordon another year or two.

...could also be that over the past 2 days (via McNamara and others) the Pelicans are trying to dial back some of the talk that their players are readily available. If you've got a deal for Gordon or Rivers on the table, and teams are trying to low ball you or get you to take back something else you don't want because they believe you HAVE TO get a deal done, it would make since for you to start putting it out there that you're perfectly comfortable keeping Gordon and Rivers and getting your Asik deal done by other means...

Basically, we're where we've always been. Anything can happen.

I agree. Now we have Asik so Reke at sf isn't as bad.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Exceptions that are large enough and when they expire

Celtics (July 14)
    Nuggets (July 10)
    Warriors (July 10)
    Pacers (Feb 20)
    CLIPPERS (July 10)
    Lakers (Feb 19)
    Grizzlies (Jan 6)
    Bucks (Feb 20)
    Thunder (July 11)
    Kings (Feb 19)
    Raptors (Dec 9)
    Soooo, the Thunder want Morrow. Just saying, they could trade for Morrow and keep MLE for Gasol.

I don't think we'll have any trouble S/T Morrow or Aminu to a team with a TPE. But I'd prefer it to be Roberts...

I think Morrow and Aminu still have roles on our team.

I don't think we'll have any trouble S/T Morrow or Aminu to a team with a TPE. But I'd prefer it to be Roberts...

I think Morrow and Aminu still have roles on our team.
    Given the other options, I'll do the S&T with either.

I do agree that they both could have a backup role on the team. But that's why they have value elsewhere.

I think if we can't land Tucker this year then I'd rather go with Evans at the 3.
    The rest of the SF free agent class that the Pels can get are all scrubs and not
    worth losing Anderson or Rivers for.

Thread Information