Pacers (Feb 20)
    CLIPPERS (July 10)
    Lakers (Feb 19)
    Grizzlies (Jan 6)
    Bucks (Feb 20)
    Thunder (July 11)
    Kings (Feb 19)
    Raptors (Dec 9)
    Perfect. And a handful are July 10th so could put a real deadline on a move.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Glad someone read between the lines. That is a big part of what is going on here
    I think Dell isn't going to move Gordon for what he's being offered. Gordon is my least favorite professional athlete of all time. But I'm probably not trading him at this point when he's potentially as healthy as he's ever been (according to reports) and should be playing for the opportunity to opt out and sign a longer deal... not for the Kevin Martin and Chase Budinger PoPo Platter. Not even for a bunch of cap room this off season to overpay any of the wings in this market.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    We're never moving Gordon, are we?
    Said this from day 1. Not because Dell/Monty loves him... but rather no one else loves him enough to take him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I know everyone hates Gordon, and I'm not far behind. But 3 guards like Jrue, Tyreke and Gordon can be just as deadly as our bigs in Davis, Asik and Anderson. Gordon can play with either Jrue or Tyreke. It's a great rotation. I want Gordon on the floor over Rivers. I want Gordon over guys like Jason Thompson and Kevin Martin, etc. If we got a true expiring or SF, let's go. But all things being equal, Gordon can play basketball and we need to win next year. If you can make it work with Gordon, I'm on board.
    Gordon at a 9/10 mill price tag... then yes I agree 100%. I don't think he'll ever be worth 15 mill. Not in a Pel uni anyway. And no I don't hate the guy, but I hate the fact that he's killing our ability to make moves with that ridiculous contract. Its not his fault, but it is what it is.
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 07-03-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Also, he will not be stretched
    @mcnamara247

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    There's upside here. If you dislike Gordon enough to stretch him, why not see what he looks like somewhat healthy, in front of rim protection like Asik and Davis, and with a role that YOU define for him. Best case scenario he still shoots 40% from three and provides some pop for the 2nd team and keeps us from having to play below replacement level players. Pie in the sky scenario, he realizes it's a contract year and he maximizes his opportunity. Obviously, if he becomes a full on malcontent, you can swallow your medicine and accept the inevitable. At least show Benson you tried to save his dough before you waive Gordon. We go into next summer ready to add the final piece to the puzzle or address any roster issue with the Core 4 and Asik.

I'm sure this has been asked/answered, but I apologize in advanced because I missed it. But has ANYBODY ever been "stretched"? I see this thrown around so much here as if its a common thing, but do you know of any player that has done this? Seriously don't know.

Ever Or This summer.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    It would be the way to go if possible. I looked at the option of S&T with Aminu a few days ago:

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...92#post1227992

We do have a couple of second rounders in 2016 to entice a team to do this.

I'm not sure Roberts would make enough in FA to keep Withey, however.
    So, what do the mavs give up?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Ever Or This summer.
    What would be the purpose of stretching him after this year? He'd either opt in any be an expiring contract in 2015 or he opts out and is off the books.

If you recall from my post about the Wolves offering Martin, I indicated the Pelicans guy seemed to value Gordon a lot more than what us fans do. Or at least a lot more than Kevin Martin.

I think they'll only consider stretching him if he gets another serious injury.

I always feel the need to remind people how much I dislike Gordon, but if Monty can figure out how to get Jrue/Gordon/Tyreke to play together, isn't that line up as good as any we could realistically pair with our frontcourt this offseason?

I mean, isn't Tyreke the same size as PJ Tucker? It's not ridiculous to think Dell and Monty view him as our starting SF next season.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    They give up nothing because they don't need to do this trade. They would essentially be helping us get Asik so for their troubles, in the above scenario, they would be getting the FA they want to sign anyway (AFA) and 2.3mil in either bench play (Ely + Babbit) or cuttable/tradeable pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    They are interested in Aminu. It wouldn't be purely a salary cap dump.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Says who, and if it is 100% impossible why did you bother telling me about it?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    If you recall from my post about the Wolves offering Martin, I indicated the Pelicans guy seemed to value Gordon a lot more than what us fans do. Or at least a lot more than Kevin Martin.

I think they'll only consider stretching him if he gets another serious injury.

I always feel the need to remind people how much I dislike Gordon, but if Monty can figure out how to get Jrue/Gordon/Tyreke to play together, isn't that line up as good as any we could realistically pair with our frontcourt this offseason?

I mean, isn't Tyreke the same size as PJ Tucker? It's not ridiculous to think Dell and Monty view him as our starting SF next season.
    I like everything you said. But in regards to the last sentence, IIRC Demps may have hinted that he doesn't really like Reke at the 3 because he doesn't like him having to defend them. Not that he thinks he can't but that it drains him and takes away what he can do on the offensive end. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    What would be the purpose of stretching him after this year? He'd either opt in any be an expiring contract in 2015 or he opts out and is off the books.
    Assume he opts in, are you confident Eric Gordons expiring can get you an impact player?

I like everything you said. But in regards to the last sentence, IIRC Demps may have hinted that he doesn't really like Reke at the 3 because he doesn't like him having to defend them. Not that he thinks he can't but that it drains him and takes away what he can do on the offensive end. Or something like that.
    But does having Asik possibly change what we're looking for at the 3? You need a guy like Aminu or Tucker on defense at the 3 if you have Stiemsma and Ajinca at the 5. Maybe not so much with Asik at the 5.

Assume he opts in, are you confident Eric Gordons expiring can get you an impact player?
    Not at all. But if he doesn't that's 15 mil off the books that summer.

But does having Asik possibly change what we're looking for at the 3? You need a guy like Aminu or Tucker on defense at the 3 if you have Stiemsma and Ajinca at the 5. Maybe not so much with Asik at the 5.
    Well we are indifferent on Aminu's defense but you bring up a good point and it's possible. I just remember Dell saying something like that, his mindset could have changed with the Asik deal. But you have to assume he has been knowing about Asik for a little longer than us.

Not at all. But if he doesn't that's 15 mil off the books that summer.
    That doesn't help you when AD is starting his Derrick Rose rule deal as EGs opt in year expires. Which is why I asked MM if stretching is completely off the table.

I think if the article is accurate and it goes down like that, it is a pretty safe assumption that we play it safe this summer and don't do much of anything.

That doesn't help you when AD is starting his Derrick Rose rule deal as EGs opt in year expires. Which is why I asked MM if stretching is completely off the table.
    Its not on the table right now. Don't know about long term.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If we gotta keep Gordon, then he can atleast stay healthy and play well.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Man will this guy come off the bench AND be happy with that role? That is a good question, hopefully so.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    Man will this guy come off the bench AND be happy with that role? That is a good question, hopefully so.
    I think you start him at SG and Tyreke at SF. If Monty is a good coach, he'll have to make it work.

I think you start him at SG and Tyreke at SF. If Monty is a good coach, he'll have to make it work.
    Nope, Reke starts at SG and Gordon comes off the bench. The failed "Reke at SF" experiment is thankfully over. The Jrue/Evans backcourt is one that MM will tell you is glove in hand...

Thread Information