Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing the Asik Trade WITHOUT moving a core piece

Doing the Asik Trade WITHOUT moving a core piece

We have learned that Dell has explored options where we can do the Asik deal without losing a core piece. Check this out and talk about whether you think this scenario is better, worse, or the same as some of the others

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...rumors-thread/
    @mcnamara247

I see Demps not trading a core piece, so this is probably what will happen. I expect Gordon, Anderson, and Rivers to be on the team opening night.
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

It would be the way to go if possible. I looked at the option of S&T with Aminu a few days ago:

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...92#post1227992

Quote Originally Posted by greewe
    Depending on how much they'd be willing to offer Aminu, could we send him out instead of Rivers in a 3 teamer?

Rockets get:
    2015 NOP first

Pelicans get:
    Asik ($8.3)

Mavs get:
    Aminu ($3.7; estimating based on his value in the past)
    Ely ($1.3 unguaranteed)
    Babbitt ($1 unguaranteed)

We'd be sending out $6 million to make it an "even" trade, no? Then we keep Rivers and Ajinca? We could probably send Dallas one of our 2016 second rounders or something for their troubles.
    We do have a couple of second rounders in 2016 to entice a team to do this.

I'm not sure Roberts would make enough in FA to keep Withey, however.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Seeing how much Rivers' name has been mentioned as being available, I have a hard him believing Rivers or Gordon will be here come October. I'd much rather Rivers on the team than Gordon though. If we move Ryno, it better be for someone great.

Interesting. I would prefer to keep Withey if possible, but it may not be. I do not see Roberts getting $3.4 million per year for 3 years. Like you said, the most likely would be Morrow, but that would put us in a jam at the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    It would be the way to go if possible. I looked at the option of S&T with Aminu a few days ago:

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...92#post1227992

We do have a couple of second rounders in 2016 to entice a team to do this.

I'm not sure Roberts would make enough in FA to keep Withey, however.

Not really. Those picks are fake (top 55 protected)

But yeah, it is a possible option if the third team helps us out.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We have learned that Dell has explored options where we can do the Asik deal without losing a core piece

Duh?

Not really. Those picks are fake (top 55 protected)

But yeah, it is a possible option if the third team helps us out.
    You're right. Forgot about that. Cash it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    Duh?
    Actually, not duh. Literally every outlet has reported that Rivers, Anderson, or Gordon would have to go. Even I thought that days ago. But this other route might be building steam.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 07-03-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Actually, not uh. Literally every outlet has reported that Rivers, Anderson, or Gordon would have to go. Even I thought that days ago. But this other route might be building steam.
    So in your opinion what is the better route? This one or the one where someone would have to go?

Quote Originally Posted by clintjr23 View Post
    So in your opinion what is the better route? This one or the one where someone would have to go?
    Ideally, you move Aminu and keep the MLE. But if it comes down to

1. Dump Rivers/Withey and keep ME

2. S&T Morrow using MLE and keeping Rivers and Withey

I would choose #2. Then, I would get a stop gap SF and bring back Miller and Southerland to back up for a year. Target the 2015 FA class and/or pray that Gordon actually plays well to start the year and can be moved for a SF before February

I like Withey and Rivers, but are they worth not having our MLE? I mean what are some realistic options at the 3 that we can use that for? That would help to understand the true value of the MLE. Marvin Williams? Is the MLE enough for PJ Tucker?

Quote Originally Posted by clintjr23 View Post
    It's hard to know. Obviously it would be good to keep Ryno and Rivers. The question is whether or not it would be prudent at this point to keep Gordon if you have offer(s) on the table for him (Martin and Budinger, for example). If Dell feels like he can get a better deal for Gordon at the deadline or next offseason (Jeff Green, for example), or if he feels like Gordon would make a better sixth man than Martin, it may be wise to keep the roster intact.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    If a team could have say Aminu, for $2.4 million, and we send cash to pay for most of it, you would have to think that's possible. What teams have existing trade exceptions large enough. Is there a way to look that up?

Ideally, you move Aminu and keep the MLE. But if it comes down to

1. Dump Rivers/Withey and keep ME

2. S&T Morrow using MLE and keeping Rivers and Withey

I would choose #2. Then, I would get a stop gap SF and bring back Miller and Southerland to back up for a year. Target the 2015 FA class and/or pray that Gordon actually plays well to start the year and can be moved for a SF before February
    This is pretty much exactly what I think. I'm ok with losing Withey (I have low expectations of him), but I am an irrational fan of Rivers so I really don't want to see him go.

Only one I know of for sure with that big of trade exemption is the Clippers.

If it keeps our MLE then I do it. It's a better method than just trading Rivers and having nothing but the Bi-Annual.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Only one I know of for sure with that big of trade exemption is the Clippers.
    So far Clippers and Thunder would fit. Clippers from Bledsoe, Thunder from Kevin Martin.

Edit: Memphis for Jared Bayless, though I have no way of knowing the expiration of these. Can't imagine Memphis giving Robert more than $2.4, but who knows.
    Last edited by Spaniard; 07-03-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    If a team could have say Aminu, for $2.4 million, and we send cash to pay for most of it, you would have to think that's possible. What teams have existing trade exceptions large enough. Is there a way to look that up?
    Exceptions that are large enough and when they expire

Celtics (July 14)
    Nuggets (July 10)
    Warriors (July 10)
    Pacers (Feb 20)
    CLIPPERS (July 10)
    Lakers (Feb 19)
    Grizzlies (Jan 6)
    Bucks (Feb 20)
    Thunder (July 11)
    Kings (Feb 19)
    Raptors (Dec 9)

We're never moving Gordon, are we?

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I still think it is better to trade Gordon if at all possible. Every good thing he does is done better by another guard already on our team, and we all know he has strong negatives.

If we can't trade Gordon, I would prefer to do the buy-out and stretch. Kiss his heart goodbye.....

If Benson won't do that, then we should trade Rivers and Roberts. With all his improvement, Rivers is still at or below replacement level but he has name recognition that might inflate his trade value. Roberts seems like a guy that would help us out after all we have done for him.

Of course I want to rehire Withey and Morrow and Babbit, but if some of them must go to preserve the MLE for a shooting SF, then so be it. I would actually like Aminu back on the team, but in a backup role to insert when Asik is off the floor for rebounding and defense against certain lineups. Aminu/Davis/Anderson provides sufficient floor spacing for my taste....

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    We're never moving Gordon, are we?
    Glad someone read between the lines. That is a big part of what is going on here

Glad someone read between the lines. That is a big part of what is going on here
    Sad face. Back to Plan A: make his life a living hell to the extent that he has no choice but to opt out next year.

I know everyone hates Gordon, and I'm not far behind. But 3 guards like Jrue, Tyreke and Gordon can be just as deadly as our bigs in Davis, Asik and Anderson. Gordon can play with either Jrue or Tyreke. It's a great rotation. I want Gordon on the floor over Rivers. I want Gordon over guys like Jason Thompson and Kevin Martin, etc. If we got a true expiring or SF, let's go. But all things being equal, Gordon can play basketball and we need to win next year. If you can make it work with Gordon, I'm on board.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think we're doing a small deal, keeping Rivers, and starting Tyreke at SF.

I don't think Dell wants to overpay for any of the SFs in this market anyway. That's not really his style.

I'm starting to expect Dell and Monty to at least see what last year's team healthy, plus Omar Asik looks like before doing anything major. Is health, further player development of Anthony Davis and others, and the addition of Omar Asik, enough to add 16 wins?

Thread Information