Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Defensive Potential

Pelicans Defensive Potential

This is under the assumption that we sign pj tucker. Pheonix is trying to land a big free agent small forward so I assume they wont retain him and he seems like a perfect monty type of player. Plus I think hes a good fit.

PG Jrue Holiday. One of the best defensive point guards. He has that same quickness of smaller guards but is stronger, taller and longer. An incredible on ball and PNR defender.

SG Tyreke Evans. I think evans is actually underrated as a defender. His best position to guard is shooting guard. He has the same advantages as jrue. He is just as quick but much bigger, longer and stronger, plus hes a natural at timing passes and disrupting passing lanes. If he starts at SG I expect a big jump in his defense. When he doesnt have to carry a team offensively and not tire himself out ive seen him dialed in and just cause havoc defensively. Both on and off ball.

SF PJ Tucker. Great on ball defender and post defender. Has above average length and strength plus he has that pitbull temperament and wont back down attitude.

PF Anthony Davis. One of the best shot blockers and help defenders in the league. Also a very good rim protector either blocking or altering shots. His increased size and strength from the offseason should improve his post D.

C Omer Asik. One of the best overall defensive bigs in the nba. He doesn't have any holes, he is exceptional at protecting the rim like a junkyard dog, has quick fluid feet for PNR and is big and strong for post D. Not to mention his defensive rebounding is incredible. You could say he doesn't get a lot of blocks but that doesnt equate to being a bad defender. This guy is top notch and the only guy I would put over him is noah, and MAYBE marc gasol.

So my question, as a group of 5 starters, what team has a better starting 5 defense than this lineup?

If it were to be Tucker, I don't know that I can think of a team that has as much defensive potential 1-5. The weakest line would be Tyreke and against SGs he has great length to make up for some of his mistakes.

Of course the biggest IF is actually getting Tucker. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If it were to be Tucker, I don't know that I can think of a team that has as much defensive potential 1-5. The weakest line would be Tyreke and against SGs he has great length to make up for some of his mistakes.

Agree, if we get tucker, which is a big if, I have a hard time naming a better defensive starting 5

Agree, if we get tucker, which is a big if, I have a hard time naming a better defensive starting 5

I agree 100%, but already penciling in Tucker as our starting SF is a huge assumption. I hope we can get him though.

Pelicans Defensive Potential

The big IF is huge after seeing some of the contracts so far.

Thanks for setting the tone Detroit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sleeper; 07-02-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: adf

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Well, I wouldn't work under the assumption that we sign Tucker until atleast a single rumor claiming interest comes out
    @DanielVeuleman

It's not a matter of if we sign, in the case we did could you pick a better 5

Hypothetical guys, I'm not saying we deff sign him

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    It's not a matter of if we sign, in the case we did could you pick a better 5
    If we did sign Tucker, I think we would have the best starting 5 defensively.
    Last edited by RUFshreve; 07-02-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Is there one rumor out there that says the pelicans are interested in Tucker?????????

He'd be great for this team but seems like the new thing is to overpay players.... So what would be a fair deal for him?

I will say this.... I truly believe Asik is going to dramatically improve this team. Asik and Davis should compliment each other and with Davis putting his weight to almost 240 and Asik being 7 feet 255 I think our interior will be tough as hell.

Also, don't overlook Russ Smith. If he makes an impact his defense will be awesome. His transition defense in particular is great.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I will say this.... I truly believe Asik is going to dramatically improve this team. Asik and Davis should compliment each other and with Davis putting his weight to almost 240 and Asik being 7 feet 255 I think our interior will be tough as hell.

Also, don't overlook Russ Smith. If he makes an impact his defense will be awesome. His transition defense in particular is great.

Agreed. Also, if either Young and Withey become the back-up bigs behind Ryno, AD, and Asik we will be looking pretty good down low.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Agreed. Also, if either Young and Withey become the back-up bigs behind Ryno, AD, and Asik we will be looking pretty good down low.
    Yes. I gotta say I like Withey. I hope Young can transition to the NBA. If he does I will be very excited because he can help us.

So can anyone think of a better 5? Nope me neither.

So can anyone think of a better 5? Nope me neither.
    For 2K15? No.

But, just like on offense, defense takes time to gel. Defense is about communication and trust. Takes time.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    For 2K15? No.

But, just like on offense, defense takes time to gel. Defense is about communication and trust. Takes time.
    Ok can you pick a starting give with more defensive potential?

I would need to know what the rosters would look like. I mean, if you can assume PJ on NOLA, can I assume Deng on Miami or Tucker on the Bulls?

That said, I think you are looking at it too simplistically. Defense is a team game. Guys have been in that Memphis system or Chicago system or Indy system with each other for years. Even if our starting 5 had more individual talent, we wouldn't be as good right away

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Yea, still have Indiana(with Lance), Memphis & Chicago. Could throw in Charlotte who I think will make some improvements this upcoming season.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Indeed. It isn't like individual defenders would suddenly make us able to shutdown the Spurs. Though, having two great defensive bigs sure won't hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Indeed. It isn't like individual defenders would suddenly make us able to shutdown the Spurs. Though, having two great defensive bigs sure won't hurt...
    Exactly. Spurs have two above average individual defenders on their team, but they are fantastic because they move as one flawless unit. That takes time. Talent only gets you so far. Need time too

That's why I said potentially. Chemistry aside. My answer would be yes. And I might be looking at it simplistic but that's the way I wanted the question viewed. On paper could you think of a better 5. And sure you can put deng on Miami, but that wouldn't do study unless you assume that LeBron, wade and bosh resign

Yes, they would have the most potential.

Thread over?

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    Yea, still have Indiana(with Lance), Memphis & Chicago. Could throw in Charlotte who I think will make some improvements this upcoming season.
    As far as Charlotte i dont think kemba nor jefferson are great defenders

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Yes, they would have the most potential.

Thread over?
    Negative, I would like others opinions as well, but I apprecIate your input as well, thank you.

Thread Information