Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: I'm not one to gossip, but...Trade w/ Wolves?!?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I wish I could talk to Dell. I think if we can get Gordon off our hands it will really be great for this team. I just don't want a bad contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I used to play little league ball at Galatus, but I didn't know anyone named Harold...
    I coached at Galatas from 1994 to 2001. Then I was transferred back to my home town of Lafayette Great memories with some great kids and parents at Galatas though. I was known throughout Driftwood as "Coach Mike". One thing I regret about moving back is the Hornets now Pels moved into the town right when I moved out. We rely on this forum for news though and fortunately we have always gotten all the games on TV here. I still can't believe the North Shore did not for a long time while a city 2 hours away does Radio is lacking however. Hopefully the team starts winning which will create a demand for coverage throughout the state. Sorry to digress. Question I have is; if the Gordon trade has merit, when do we think we will hear about it in the conventional press. I realize the original post was they have offered Martin for him and there was no post saying we had made the decision to pull the trigger on it. Sorry if this has been covered before but I have been busy today.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Can you prove Davis is a superstar? Since the sky is blue. We can't prove anything opinion based. But it isn't a problem when some here do it.
    Forget the question. Maybe AD is not a superstar despite all of these opinions:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...to-a-superstar
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...-as-superstar/
    http://www.si.com/nba/point-forward/...a-fundamentals
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/11/nba-...-anthony-davis
    http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/0...ets-omer-asik/
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/1/2...stics-analysis
    http://houndsports.com/2014/03/25/wi...anthony-davis/
    http://grantland.com/features/building-the-brow/
    http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...e-a-superstar/
    http://twothreehoops.com/columns/11-...ext-superstar/

I'd like to play the game of da ThRONe but it is clear that no one else does

CLOSED THREAD

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    The thing is if any other player outside of AD had done what he's done at 21 years old, DaThrone would agree he was about as close to a sure thing to be a superstar as a 21 year old can be. But because of his opinions about AD coming into the draft, he's still holding on to the illusion that AD is not a superstar. To be fair, he did admit he was wrong about AD coming into the league, but I think it still causes him to undervalue and not see him the way everyone else does, because it's pretty obvious Anthony will be a superstar in this league.

I can't argue that I think AD is going to be an amazing player but I do think that most people on here overrate him. Most fans think that he is a great defender because that was all the hype on him coming into the NBA and he blocks shots. His defense was bad-average this last year. He showed flashes of what he will probably be defensively (a top five defensive player in the league), and really amazed me with how well he shot (especially in that game in Phoenix). But most people on here act as though he is a top five player in the league right now. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I can't wait until AD is a great player in the league but I think that we have a problem on here where people see what they want to and propagate the same idea reinforcing their own confirmation bias. I value people like DaThrone even though I often disagree with him because we NEED to have people who tell us the other side. We need people to disagree with us. And we need them to be logical about it. You can be logical from a different school of thought and that's great as long as your arguments are consistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You say you don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but when you say they're overrating him or that he's not as good as they think, it's gonna rub some the wrong way.

You gotta roll with the punches. Positivity, the release of endorphins and adrenaline are all part of what makes people irrational. Cold, reason, or perceived reason in the face of that? Can come off as just being a stick in a mud to someone who wants to just have fun and make broad predictions of greatness. Bring someone down off that high and you get anger as a response.

I also appreciate Throne for not wavering. I thoroughly disagree with his stance on Davis, though I also love me some Drummond. But I wouldn't trade one for the other...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You say you don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but when you say they're overrating him or that he's not as good as they think, it's gonna rub some the wrong way.

You gotta roll with the punches. Positivity, the release of endorphins and adrenaline are all part of what makes people irrational. Cold, reason, or perceived reason in the face of that? Can come off as just being a stick in a mud to someone who wants to just have fun and make broad predictions of greatness. Bring someone down off that high and you get anger as a response.

I also appreciate Throne for not wavering. I thoroughly disagree with his stance on Davis, though I also love me some Drummond. But I wouldn't trade one for the other...ever.
    haha Agreed on the trade.
    But I'm sure you can see the hypocrisy of the argument "YOU'RE DUMB AND WRONG BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO HAVE FUN AND ENJOY A LIGHT CONVERSATION". If people want to have their heads in the sand and freak out whenever someone says the sky is falling, then they better stop all communication altogether. Communication lends itself to exposing truth and reason.

Just because someone says that reality is bleak, and you don't see it as such, you must decide for yourself using your own reason. Now why not explain yourself back instead?

Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    I can't argue that I think AD is going to be an amazing player but I do think that most people on here overrate him. Most fans think that he is a great defender because that was all the hype on him coming into the NBA and he blocks shots. His defense was bad-average this last year. He showed flashes of what he will probably be defensively (a top five defensive player in the league), and really amazed me with how well he shot (especially in that game in Phoenix). But most people on here act as though he is a top five player in the league right now. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I can't wait until AD is a great player in the league but I think that we have a problem on here where people see what they want to and propagate the same idea reinforcing their own confirmation bias. I value people like DaThrone even though I often disagree with him because we NEED to have people who tell us the other side. We need people to disagree with us. And we need them to be logical about it. You can be logical from a different school of thought and that's great as long as your arguments are consistent.
    Not only does he put up fantastic raw statistics (21-10-3), his advanced statistics (WS%, PER) are also off the charts - at 20 years old! He had a top 5 PER in the entire league last year and was an all-star. His defense was inconsistent last year, but he was also playing on one of the worst defensive teams in the league, when you figure our issues at C, Aminu's inconsistencies, Holiday's injury causing so much playing time for Roberts, etc. He almost had to do too much. He's a complete stud, a guy you can build a championship around. Let's be honest, the "Big 3" model only works when one of your 3 is Garnett (in his prime) or LeBron. The OKC model only works when one of your draft picks is Durant. The San Antonio model works when you have Tim Duncan for two decades. The ancillary pieces come and go, are interchangeable.

We have our stud. We just need to surround and protect him as best we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    People who say he's a top five player right now actually have a decent statistical argument for their position:

Led the league in shot block percentage

12th lowest turnover percentage

11th in ORTg

7th in WS per 48

11th in FT attempts (generally a good indicator of offensive success)

4th in PER

And this is all with a usage percentage of 25%, which isn't even the highest on the team (Tyreke at 27%).

Now I happen to agree with the notion that he needs to improve his positional defense before he truly is an elite-elite player, but a rational case can be made for his elite status as I type this post.

As an aside, I disagree with the notion that one needs pessimism to "balance out" the optimism of an opinion, particularly if that pessimism is as ungrounded as the optimism is. Better instead to eliminate both in favor of an objective, unbiased look at the facts (e.g. the advanced metrics).

Thread Information