Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Patric Young signs on for summer league..

Huge pickup.. Will be shocked if he doesn't make the team. IMO the 4/5 positions are set.. Hopefully Dell can work some magic and find a way to move out Gordon and Rivers and net us a decent SF and we are set.

I know nothing about this guy. Why didn't he get drafted if he has such ridiculous athletic ability?
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    I know nothing about this guy. Why didn't he get drafted if he has such ridiculous athletic ability?
    This was a back loaded draft. There were a few 2nd rounders who should have been 1sts. There were also some undrafteds who shouldn't have been. Curious to see what the stars of this draft look like 3 years from now. Could be known as one of the deepest drafts ever.

The scouting report i read said he looks like a better athlete than he is, his combine #s look good. Not great but pretty good. He's not an elite athlete by any means though. Good athlete is probably the more accurate description.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    This was my list of best available players not taken is last nights draft. We have one, where are the others going?

1. Patrick Young- C- Pels
    2. Artem Klimenco- C
    3. C.J Fair- SF- Dallas
    4. James Michael McAdoo- PF
    5. DeAndre Kane- SG- Lakers
    6. LaQuinton Ross- SF- Lakers
    7. Melvin Ejim- SF
    8. Jordan Bachynski- C
    Looking like Ejim may do summer league with the Spurs and Sixers.

I wonder...with withey, ajinca and now the turk...is there really space for him? We went from not having a single option at 5 to having almost too many players..

Yeah i know, too early to tell if he's going to be decent or not but his play has always fascinated me...probably because he reminds me of ben wallace, and he's my favourite nba player ever

It is surprising that he wasn't drafted considering how physical and how athletic he is. That sort of combination will usually get you drafted. But what do I care, I am more excited about this signing than I am the Russ Smith pick.

You can always use a 5th big, but things aren't looking good for Jason Smith right now.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

He's a senior that never averaged more than 6.4 rebounds per game in his four years at Florida. Given his lack of offensive game, it's hard for scouts to be thrilled for an undersized center who can't rebound.

His stats aren't impressive but his defense is.

And if this doesn't work out for him he can walk across the parking lot and tryout for the Saints.

What I see is 6'10" (in shoes) 250lbs. with great feet, high motor, and an excellent P-N-R defender. Grabs offensive rebounds, protects the rim, finishes at the rim at an elite level, vocal leader, hard worker, winner.

So he can't hit from 15'. With AD and Ryno, this is less of a concern. If Asik is the best sort of player next to AD, Young is a pretty nice fit in many of the same ways. Not as good, but good.

I like it!

6"10 250lbs
    7'1.5" wingspan
    38"vert

strong as an ox

beast.

Wow, if only Patrick Young could become our Ben Wallace!!!!!

He would even serve as Omar Asik insurance in case he bolts after a year,

or Young simply were to outperform Asik defensively and on the boards all at a cheaper price (hey it's possible for a guy with a 7'2" reach 35" vertical and a chiseled frame like that.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post

or Young simply were to outperform Asik defensively and on the boards all at a cheaper price (hey it's possible for a guy with a 7'2" reach 35" vertical and a chiseled frame like that.
    Problem is wallace was probably the best rebounder in the nba in his prime. Averaged north of 15 rpg more than once iirc. Young on the other hand..

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Problem is wallace was probably the best rebounder in the nba in his prime. Averaged north of 15 rpg more than once iirc. Young on the other hand..
    ...is a rookie who hasn't done anything yet.

Thankfully he said "could become" and not "will be."

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    ...is a rookie who hasn't done anything yet.

Thankfully he said "could become" and not "will be."
    I still think you could become our Rasheed Wallace man. No hard feelings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFfRR8U0H68

Extremely complimentary video from draftexpress.

I particularly love the analysis of his high awareness on defense and his unrelenting motor.

Russ Smith and Young are both guys that seem to be defensive-oriented and not at all incompetent when it comes to offense.

They are also locker-room leaders and high character, hard-working guys.

Really pleased with both of these pickups, and fully expect both to make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I still think you could become our Rasheed Wallace man. No hard feelings.
    ...did you grow up down the street from me? Cuz...there's a misquote from when I was 14 that...kinda became a meme...of sorts...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think the a pelicans are getting the best players they can get. It's okay if he is not perfect, as long as he is the best they can get, at a need position.

I do love this addition to the summer league roster. I may have to fly out to vegas on my off days to check the team out. It's only a 45min flight from LA.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post

He will be a smaller version of Ben. Reason his stats were not better is b/c he played 4 years at one of the most talented/unselfish teams in college.

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    He will be a smaller version of Ben. Reason his stats were not better is b/c he played 4 years at one of the most talented/unselfish teams in college.
    What do you mean by "smaller version"? He's an inch taller and about as phyiscally imposing as Ben in his prime.

I was just about to say that...

He may or may not be as dominant a rebounder...but his defense is already extensive. For a college player, anyway.

Can't wait to see our SL play.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Love Love Love this addition to SL roster.

Interested to see Russ and Patric (Is it pronounced Patrick, or Patreeeeese?) and hope they defend the living crap out of the other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Love Love Love this addition to SL roster.

Interested to see Russ and Patric (Is it pronounced Patrick, or Patreeeeese?) and hope they defend the living crap out of the other teams.
    The 'k' is invisible.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    The 'k' is invisible.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Thread Information