Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pelicans Have Four Options. Here they Are

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I guess if you consider 33 MPG, 14 PPG value, and no defense value. Gordon has averaged 31 mpg and 16 ppg. So... there's that.
    Those are raw stats. Peja made our team better. Made the CCC impossible to defend.

Look at our teams' numbers with Gordon on the floor. He unquestionably makes us worse. Far worse.

I agree that it is the single worst move in our organizations history next to trading Kobe for Divac.
    @mcnamara247

Giving Monty a four year extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    There is no bigger mistake this franchise has made than gordon. Posey was big, but he didn't earn as much. Gordon makes our first unit worse...possibly even our second unit if he'll play even more lethargically than he did with the 1s.

And gordon will not improve. Rivers is at best, to me, a reserve, someone who can be good against second units if he keeps improving, but that's it. Point is...he's not killing all of our chances by getting paid 12 or how many millions.

So trading gordon is #1 on the list on anyone at all, for obvious reasons.

Well, almost anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Those are raw stats. Peja made our team better. Made the CCC impossible to defend.

Look at our teams' numbers with Gordon on the floor. He unquestionably makes us worse. Far worse.

I agree that it is the single worst move in our organizations history next to trading Kobe for Divac.
    I disagree. Pejas contract and injury woes were a huge reason we could never make it over the hump. With Gordon, we never had a shot to compete from the get-go. It's really a low impact big mistake because we have no shot to truly contend throughout his tenure. Meanwhile in Peja's tender, we had a shot.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Hey , CHA has the Hornets not us Gordon is the worst move the team has made

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    Hey , CHA has the Hornets not us Gordon is the worst move the team has made
    It was a different city, but same organization

I disagree. Pejas contract and injury woes were a huge reason we could never make it over the hump. With Gordon, we never had a shot to compete from the get-go. It's really a low impact big mistake because we have no shot to truly contend throughout his tenure. Meanwhile in Peja's tender, we had a shot.
    We never get to the hump w/o Peja, though in all likelihood. Its all speculation, but I got one magical year from Peja that led to the best season in franchise history. Gordon has given me anxiety and misery.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Can't Dell also just blame the entire Gordon fiasco on David Stern?

Dell can say he never wanted Gordon in the first place because he was scheduled to be a restricted free agent, and because he was the main asset Stern saddled him with, he also couldn't just let Gordon walk...

At least that would be my excuse. I'd blame the hell out of David Stern for putting me in a bad spot.

Blame Stern. Blame "Basketball Reasons"

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBaller23 View Post
    MM, when would you expect this to be settled one way or the other? As soon as the moratorium is lifted? Or do you expect Dell to try waiting around until the big fish in FA have landed? I would assume it would need to happen sooner than later for Houston to chase the big names..
    Last line of article:

"At the end of the day, or more accurately by the beginning of July, Dell will have to pull the trigger on one of these four options and we will see the roster of the 2014-15 Pelicans finally take shape."

Draft Pick
    Mason has heard it is Rivers or Gordon. Only Ryno if they get blown away by an offer.
    To be clear, all I have heard is that they're not trying to trade Anderson. We know Davis isn't going anywhere, Jrue almost definitely isn't, & Tyreke is worth more to the Pelicans than he is on the trade market w/ that contract. Therefore, we're left with Gordon or Rivers. If the Pelicans got some crazy offer that they could not say no to, then yeah, maybe Ryno gets dealt, but they are definitely not looking to move him. Expect it to be Rivers, while holding out hope that a team is foolish enough to take Gordon.

Finally some sense, there was not way they could just let him walk. And now they just can't trade him for a bag of bones. They have pressure to make the playoffs and build a team that Anthony Davis will be willing to resign with. Gordon brings value, i have yet to see one mention of anything that we get by trading Gordon. If that option is available where we actually get better by trading Gordon i'm all for it. Sad most people could care less about that and just want him gone and want to keep Austin Rivers who is a nothing.

Peja was horrible. He absolutely prevented us from taking the next step with that 2008 team. He gave us one decent year.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Can't Dell also just blame the entire Gordon fiasco on David Stern?

Dell can say he never wanted Gordon in the first place because he was scheduled to be a restricted free agent, and because he was the main asset Stern saddled him with, he also couldn't just let Gordon walk...

At least that would be my excuse. I'd blame the hell out of David Stern for putting me in a bad spot.

Blame Stern. Blame "Basketball Reasons"

I guess if you consider 33 MPG, 14 PPG value, and no defense value. Gordon has averaged 31 mpg and 16 ppg. So... there's that.
    Peja made us a much better team when he was on the court. Gordon has not (and has not seen the court enough). Peja probably played double the games Gordon has for the team and provide a very important piece to a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonGinsberg View Post
    To be clear, all I have heard is that they're not trying to trade Anderson. We know Davis isn't going anywhere, Jrue almost definitely isn't, & Tyreke is worth more to the Pelicans than he is on the trade market w/ that contract. Therefore, we're left with Gordon or Rivers. If the Pelicans got some crazy offer that they could not say no to, then yeah, maybe Ryno gets dealt, but they are definitely not looking to move him. Expect it to be Rivers, while holding out hope that a team is foolish enough to take Gordon.
    Thanks for the clarification. That is a little different than hearing we are trading either Gordon or Rivers.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. That is a little different than hearing we are trading either Gordon or Rivers.
    One of them has to go by July 8th (iirc the date), that's the only fact that matters to me. Something has to get done and those 2 are just the most likely candidates.

So i'm Dell Demps and I have pressure to make the playoffs, do I trade a guy who averaged 15ppg and shot 40% from 3 and keep Austin Rivers???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????? REALLY????????????????????????????????????????

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    Finally some sense, there was not way they could just let him walk. And now they just can't trade him for a bag of bones. They have pressure to make the playoffs and build a team that Anthony Davis will be willing to resign with. Gordon brings value, i have yet to see one mention of anything that we get by trading Gordon. If that option is available where we actually get better by trading Gordon i'm all for it. Sad most people could care less about that and just want him gone and want to keep Austin Rivers who is a nothing.

Peja was horrible. He absolutely prevented us from taking the next step with that 2008 team. He gave us one decent year.
    Ha! Awesome. You quoted my post, but I completely disagree with you.

They could have, and should have let Gordon walk in 2012. But given the context and circumstance, that was a very difficult thing to do. Not sure if any GM would've done it.

Fast forward, if Gordon embraced the role of 6th Man and had a better attitude, he'd absolutely be valuable to this team. But he still wouldn't be providing $15 million worth of value. If you can trade Gordon for an empty bag, you can take the $15m you were spending on Gordon, and use it on players that provide greater value than Gordon currently does.

Would I rather Gordon or would I rather Trevor Ariza and Channing Frye? I'll take the latter all day ever day, so long as Gordon is the pouting, under-performing, and overpaid player that he is. The 2013 version of Ariza and Frye provide more value than every version of Eric Gordon the NBA has seen, except for maybe the 2010 version. That was 4 years ago. D. Wade was an All NBA Superstar 4 years ago. Kobe was Kobe 4 years ago. Anthony Davis was 6'3" 4 years ago.

Four years is a long time.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 06-27-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Peja made us a much better team when he was on the court. Gordon has not (and has not seen the court enough). Peja probably played double the games Gordon has for the team and provide a very important piece to a playoff team.
    Yeah not true. Gordon has played in 52% of his games here (pathetic) and a lot he was held out by our staff. Peja played 65% and got the benefit of another year. Again i outlined why i though peja was worse above in response to MM.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Gosh, moving Gordon would be great. It may be speculation that he's moved, but it'd be simply and mathematically perfect for us!

Doesn't each team have to spend so much money now under the new agreements or was that the NFL?

What are the consequences of just cutting Gordon
    Why can't we amnesty him?

Quote Originally Posted by FLYINGPELICANS View Post
    Cutting him doesn't take him off of our books and he signed his deal after the new CBA. Only deals before the new CBA are eligible for the amnesty clause.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 06-27-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Signed after the new CBA, isn't eligible. His contract is fully guaranteed and would still impact the cap.

Can we please stop with the notion that Gordon had to be gifted this awful deal for some magical reason.

You know what I'm saying I mean... But it's...it's easy ... to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about Austin Rivers. And we in here talking about Austin Rivers. I mean, listen, we're talking about Austin Rivers, not a real player, we talking about Austin Rivers. Not a real player. Not a real player, but we're talking about Austin Rivers, man. I mean, how silly is that? ... And we talking about Austin Rivers. I know I supposed to like him like everyone on this form. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about Austin Rivers man. What are we talking about? Austin Rivers? We're talking about Austin Rivers, man. We're talking about Austin Rivers. We're talking about Austin Rivers. We ain't talking about a real player. We're talking about Austin Rivers, man.

Gordon wasn't on the team at the time of the new CBA to be amnestied. He must be stretched or traded or we pay his full salary

The NFL has a much better CBA

Thread Information