Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pelicans Have Four Options. Here they Are

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBaller23 View Post
    MM, when would you expect this to be settled one way or the other? As soon as the moratorium is lifted? Or do you expect Dell to try waiting around until the big fish in FA have landed? I would assume it would need to happen sooner than later for Houston to chase the big names..
    This will be done during the moratorium period. Houston is not going to wait on us with the big plans they have. Dell has to have it figured out before then.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Not trying to attack you, I just want to know your train of thought...why in the world would anyone want to move Ryno before Rivers?
    Imagine the Ryno deal nets you X small forward that you like. And/or imagine it gets you a pick as well that you can attach to Gordon and ship him out.

In a vacuum, keep Ryno over Rivers all day. But Ryno could bring you back much more in return theoretically, so that has to be factored in

Getting Russ almost confirms Rivers is being shipped out IMO.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Unless you already have a deal in place that includes Gordon and a 1st and he's gone, I'm never trading Ryno before Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Rivers is wildly overrated on this forum.

1. Trade Gordon
    2. Trade Rivers
    3. Stretch Gordon
    4. Trade Ryno
    This would be my order UNLESS Gordon agreed to a buyout around 15-20 mil, which is possible if he thinks he can make that back on the open market. Then, that catapaults up to #2 and might even be #1 depending on the offers I get when I try to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This would be my order UNLESS Gordon agreed to a buyout around 15-20 mil, which is possible if he thinks he can make that back on the open market. Then, that catapaults up to #2 and might even be #1 depending on the offers I get when I try to trade him.
    That's a pretty perfect scenario. I think you tell him he's going to be a 6th man. If he complains say look, there's another option. You say 6th man and have a good attitude or accept this buyout; I'd be willing to bet he'd take 20. Now the question is, with the Asik deal and us having to pay that much money (than his cap) to Asik will Benson be willing to shell out another wad of cash at things that to create more flexibility?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Imagine the Ryno deal nets you X small forward that you like. And/or imagine it gets you a pick as well that you can attach to Gordon and ship him out.

In a vacuum, keep Ryno over Rivers all day. But Ryno could bring you back much more in return theoretically, so that has to be factored in
    Which was my train of thought. Also if we get rid of Rivers we're shedding salary, but it doesn't net us something else and limits our other options for retaining some other players we have. The other options give us more flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Which was my train of thought. Also if we get rid of Rivers we're shedding salary, but it doesn't net us something else and limits our other options for retaining some other players we have. The other options give us more flexibility.
    I understand. Ryno can fetch us more than just cap space unlike Rivers. I guess it comes down to how much you value Ryno over what else would be coming in.

Agree, that's why I believe our best roster includes Gordon. It just does. Rivers is a nothing, a nobody. Really, i don't get the love for him on here. He's a mistake, if you can move him now do it!!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I disagree I do think Rivers has shown improvement. However I agree of the 4 it seems like the way to go. As bad as Gordon contract is if we trade him for a guy that gives us nothing and still eats up cap space this year we have no chance of making the playoffs. No playoffs Williams and Demps are gone and we have to bring in a new GM and HC to sort out what's here.

In my perfect world Monty would be gone. I'd love to see what another coach could do with this roster with Gordon on it.

There is no bigger mistake this franchise has made than gordon. Posey was big, but he didn't earn as much. Gordon makes our first unit worse...possibly even our second unit if he'll play even more lethargically than he did with the 1s.

And gordon will not improve. Rivers is at best, to me, a reserve, someone who can be good against second units if he keeps improving, but that's it. Point is...he's not killing all of our chances by getting paid 12 or how many millions.

So trading gordon is #1 on the list on anyone at all, for obvious reasons.

Well, almost anyone.

Mason has heard it is Rivers or Gordon. Only Ryno if they get blown away by an offer.

This will be done during the moratorium period. Houston is not going to wait on us with the big plans they have. Dell has to have it figured out before then.
    The good thing is we will know the cap figure by then. In his presser, Demps seemed to think it could possibly be higher than some expect.

Mason has heard it is Rivers or Gordon. Only Ryno if they get blown away by an offer.
    If you're talking trade and not stretch...oh god please PLEASE YES.

If there is anyone to be killed to trade gordon tell me, i'll contact the everpresent italian mafia based in nola.

I like the fact that Gordon is even mentioned as a possibility.

Is Gordon and Rivers for Mayo just completely unrealistic? I mean, that guy gave up on them last year. Rivers is a nice young asset that fits their timeline and Gordon is an upgrade. Also, worst case scenario is Gordon hates it there and opts out.

Am I crazy?

This would open up an exception to slide Asik into and give us a ton of options to fill the SF position. Could bring back Morrow. Heck, we can stretch Mayo at that point and really open up a ton of room. Can I dream about this for a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    There is no bigger mistake this franchise has made than gordon. Posey was big, but he didn't earn as much. Gordon makes our first unit worse...possibly even our second unit if he'll play even more lethargically than he did with the 1s.

And gordon will not improve. Rivers is at best, to me, a reserve, someone who can be good against second units if he keeps improving, but that's it. Point is...he's not killing all of our chances by getting paid 12 or how many millions.

So trading gordon is #1 on the list on anyone at all, for obvious reasons.

Well, almost anyone.
    Peja was pretty close.

Mayo and Morrow, yes i can see the playoffs now!!!!! Wow.

Is Gordon and Rivers for Mayo just completely unrealistic? I mean, that guy gave up on them last year. Rivers is a nice young asset that fits their timeline and Gordon is an upgrade. Also, worst case scenario is Gordon hates it there and opts out.

Am I crazy?

This would open up an exception to slide Asik into and give us a ton of options to fill the SF position. Could bring back Morrow. Heck, we can stretch Mayo at that point and really open up a ton of room. Can I dream about this for a few days?
    I would be on board.

and I forgot Monty as the head coach. Yes, we are playoff bound!

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Peja was pretty close.
    Not even close. Peja's contract was too long, but he did give this team a lot of value. Gordon really has not.

I want Delfino too

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not even close. Peja's contract was too long, but he did give this team a lot of value. Gordon really has not.
    I guess if you consider 33 MPG, 14 PPG value, and no defense value. Gordon has averaged 31 mpg and 16 ppg. So... there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I want Delfino too
    Nice avatar change.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Loomis and Dell are both smart and get it. First they have to wait for the official cap number.

Then I think if it's necessary and they have a deal that in a vacuum makes sense, they'll trade Austin Rivers. I don't think they will take less than his value because they're in a pinch.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're leaning towards buying out and stretching Gordon. The money is the same either way that Benson has to pay Gordon. Possibly less. And if Dell's seat is as hot as everyone seems to believe it is, Dell doesn't care about future dead money; all that should be important to him is structuring the best possible team in 2014/15 to give the Pelicans a chance to make the playoffs.

And I doubt if he has to admit he made a mistake. EVERYONE including Dell realizes now that he shouldn't have matched that contract for Gordon. They're not going to fire him if he takes advantage of an NBA tool to correct his mistake. They'll fire him if next season doesn't work out.

Thread Information