Pelicans Report

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38

Thread: Official 2014 NBA Draft Thread

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Eric Gordon is listed 6'4 215. Marcus Smart is listed 6'4 220. I'm sure you must see the similarities. They are guys that have good, but not great handles. They can dribble drive, but you do NOT want them running the offense and certainly you don't want them chasing after quicker PG's. They are short for SG standards, and if paired with a smaller point guard like Parker, Paul, Burke, etc. would put your team at a massive disadvantage.

It's not just a matter of trying to contest those 6'6 SG's, but often they will have to switch on a SF that could often run in the 6'8 to 6'9 range. They become a liability you have to coach around from the SG position.

He is zero like Pippen, zero like Tyreke. Totally different sized and styled players. He and Eric Gordon might as well share mothers.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Then that makes him oversized.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Eric Gordon is listed 6'4 215. Marcus Smart is listed 6'4 220. I'm sure you must see the similarities. They are guys that have good, but not great handles. They can dribble drive, but you do NOT want them running the offense and certainly you don't want them chasing after quicker PG's. They are short for SG standards, and if paired with a smaller point guard like Parker, Paul, Burke, etc. would put your team at a massive disadvantage.

It's not just a matter of trying to contest those 6'6 SG's, but often they will have to switch on a SF that could often run in the 6'8 to 6'9 range. They become a liability you have to coach around from the SG position.

He is zero like Pippen, zero like Tyreke. Totally different sized and styled players. He and Eric Gordon might as well share mothers.
    Except Gordon could shoot the ball and Smart can't.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Except Gordon could shoot the ball and Smart can't.
    Right, like I said in my last post. He's a less skilled version of Gordon, and his inconsistent shot makes him a real less than ideal SG.

I don't think either is a legit 6,4. I know Marcus isn't just by standing by him several times and playing pickup games with him. Let's just wait and see. Smart is a much better all around player than twinkie boy.

I wonder if each team could pick one, what the results would be.

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    I don't think either is a legit 6,4. I know Marcus isn't just by standing by him several times and playing pickup games with him. Let's just wait and see. Smart is a much better all around player than twinkie boy.

I wonder if each team could pick one, what the results would be.
    I agree, I just figured I would use the same site to pull both heights(ESPN). If they are wrong, they are probably equally wrong.

As for who is better, a young healthy Gordon was a BA. We love to rip on him know, he's got a crappy attitude, and he's massively overpaid, but there are worse things than being compared to him basketball wise. My personal opinion is Gordon is more of a natural scorer, while Smart is stronger and real streaky. When he's on, he will light it up. And he should get to the line a lot.

...we get to go McDonalds
    It'd be a massive mistake to Marcus to put him at SG. He's a big PG. Ultimately, my belief is that guys who work and have a good head on their shoulders will ultimately succeed. I think Marcus fits the bill in both criteria here, even with the fan-shove.

Marcus will make himself a better shooter because it's necessary. I just feel like bringing him off the bench is a huge advantage. He's going to crash the boards for you, he's going to play defense for you, and he's going to give 100%. His role will now be completely different from college.

As for the Gordon comparisons -- Gordon's a flat-out better basketball player than Smart. Gordon, skills-wise, could do everything on the court. His only question mark was his height and would that hinder him? I don't think size is an issue with Smart, it's the skills that are questioned.

I don't know about "flat-out". If we're talking about what gordon is now, it's flat out nothing. He's a better shooter than fanshove but that's about it. He's horrible as far as rebounding goes, he's a lazy defender, he doesn't steal many balls (let alone block them), and he's far from being an assist man.

If we're talking about "potential gordon" of 4 years ago, well, that's a whole different story

And personally...i don't see how one can become a much better shooter just because he'll practice more. Yes you can get better...but more often than not, you don't get a whole lot better. Tyreke has been trying to get better ever since entering the league...still sucks. Aminu? Still sucks.

Sure, it's possible to get better but i never get why "oh well, shooting, he'll just hit the gim and become larry byrd" is posted so often. It's not really that automatic.
    Last edited by Kurgan; 06-28-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I don't know about "flat-out". If we're talking about what gordon is now, it's flat out nothing. He's a better shooter than fanshove but that's about it. He's horrible as far as rebounding goes, he's a lazy defender, he doesn't steal many balls (let alone block them), and he's far from being an assist man.

If we're talking about "potential gordon" of 4 years ago, well, that's a whole different story

And personally...i don't see how one can become a much better shooter just because he'll practice more. Yes you can get better...but more often than not, you don't get a whole lot better. Tyreke has been trying to get better ever since entering the league...still sucks. Aminu? Still sucks.

Sure, it's possible to get better but i never get why "oh well, shooting, he'll just hit the gim and become larry byrd" is posted so often. It's not really that automatic.
    1. Definitely not talking about the Gordon of today. Talking about the Gordon coming out of college.

2. Agree with you on the shooting part. Guys like Rondo have gotten better, but I don't think expect Smart to suddenly become a good shooter. But he doesn't have to be. He just needs to shoot well enough to not be left alone on the 3-point arc. My main point with Smart is just this -- the guys who show up and put in time to get better are the ones who stick in the NBA -- I think he's that type of guy and he has the requisite athletic gifts that it won't all be for naught.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post

1. Definitely not talking about the Gordon of today. Talking about the Gordon coming out of college.

2. Agree with you on the shooting part. Guys like Rondo have gotten better, but I don't think expect Smart to suddenly become a good shooter. But he doesn't have to be. He just needs to shoot well enough to not be left alone on the 3-point arc. My main point with Smart is just this -- the guys who show up and put in time to get better are the ones who stick in the NBA -- I think he's that type of guy and he has the requisite athletic gifts that it won't all be for naught.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I can practically guarantee Smart won't bust. When someone comes back for another year of school, when someone is super passionate, when someone cares about playing defense -- those guys bust only because physically they can't keep up. That's definitely not the case with Marcus. If the Pelicans were in this draft, that's the guy I would have targeted. Our team sometimes plays with absolutely no emotion and I think having a guy like Marcus would be a jumpstart. Not to mention it'd be nice having a backup PG not named Brian Roberts.
    How are we defining bust. If that means out of the league then I agree. I see him more in the mold of a defensives perimeter stopper. Like a bigger Avery Bradley.

Thread Information