Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans finalizing trade for Asik

This better be one of those first rounders that becomes a 2nd rounder... This reeks of Dell trying to save his job. Very Washington Wizardesque. I don't hate it, but it's shortsighted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    It doesn't negatively affect our offense but to compete with these teams emerging in the west, we have to spread the floor for Davis because Asik isn't going to give us much in low post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have plenty of offense. Asik taking GS's place is positive on both ends of the floor times infinity. You said we definitely can't go into the season with Aminu "now," so I took it as you saying "now after this trade." We need to lose Aminu because he's Aminu, but this is a great trade no matter how you look at it IMO.

**** YES!!

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Can we retain him after next year?
    If not we gave up a pick for a rental.

I have to assume Gordon is gone so we should have the cap to re-sign Anderson, Davis and Asik?
    Asik only got pissed of beacuse he was a starter, then got bumped for Dwight when he joined the team. My opinion? You let him start. Keep him happy and win some games. Good chance of staying as long as he doesn't get screwed over.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I love this deal. We Asik is a great big to pair with Davis and Ryno. He is one of the best defensive bigs in the league, and he is also one of the best rebounders. Most importantly, he won't be expected to close out games, so AD and Ryno can finish the games with no issues. He is also only 27 years old.

A late 1st for one of the best defensive/rebounding bigs in the league? That's robbery IMO. We got a good deal because Houston is clearing cap space to go after Melo.
    28 on the 4th of July....

But he is still young enough

Anyone think Reke might be on the bubble now? Our space isn't looking too good now and we still have to fill out our roster.9

UHHH-MAZING

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Anyone think Reke might be on the bubble now? Our space isn't looking too good now and we still have to fill out our roster.9

It'll be fine, especially if Ryno will still play 30 plus minutes.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    I hope it comes with their 1st round pick this year. I mean we are paying 7 million extra for him.

considering Steamboat was really only out there to use up 6 fouls... anyone else is really a positive

and I think Smiht will be better coming off the bench instead of a starter he was last year
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

I'm surprised another team wouldn't offer what we just offered. Still confused how we can absorb his contract and really worried about the sf position now with no money.

28 on the 4th of July....

But he is still young enough
    Sure, but more importantly, he only has a few years of NBA tred on his tires, which means he is a very YOUNG "28-year-old." I would have no problem giving him a multi-year deal after this year, and if we can keep him below the $10 mil/year range, I think this is a huge win for us.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MMEmbreno View Post
    I'm surprised another team wouldn't offer what we just offered. Still confused how we can absorb his contract and really worried about the sf position now with no money.
    Still have MLE, broski

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Dealin dell is unpredictable and I love it! What does our cap look like after this deal?

A good explanation of how the pieces needs to fall in place for the deal to work:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...pick/11388103/

Basically, there is more to come as we have to clear about $8 mill in salary
    Last edited by eballa1; 06-25-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    This better be one of those first rounders that becomes a 2nd rounder... This reeks of Dell trying to save his job. Very Washington Wizardesque. I don't hate it, but it's shortsighted.
    Huh? Really banking on a 20's pick to help us out?

What are people talking about. This is a fantastic trade. They wanted to shed and we NEEDED a C. We gave up likely nothing to get him. As for the numbers, no one on here knows exactly how they work. Dell does. I care about what's on the court, not how Benson balances his checkbook. Great trade.

Can we retain him after next year?
    If not we gave up a pick for a rental.

I have to assume Gordon is gone so we should have the cap to re-sign Anderson, Davis and Asik?
    Worse come to worse you can go in to luxury tax land. Follow your dreams people!

YES WE CAN!
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Basically teams with cap space want to lose or want the big fish. I still feel like they should be giving us stuff for taking him. Who else would want him? Hornets? I can't think of anyone

Edit: maybe Atlanta
    Last edited by Pelifan; 06-25-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    perhaps there will be additional surprises....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Pelicans are fully stocked at all positions except for the wing now. Shouldnt be too hard to acquire a decent wing.

Good question, where do we stand now with the cap? I was thinking we are done, but we may have to move someone now

Can someone explain this to a dumb person like me?

The Pelicans would be over the projected salary cap for next season with this deal, so the deal isn't expected to be formalized until the free agency moratorium ends on July 10. At that time, New Orleans would need to send players whose salaries total $8.3 million (likely players with non-guaranteed money) to make the deal work.

I like this.
    aka Hornet Blood

Credit: wopester

I think it just means we have to make some other moves before this one is final

Thread Information