Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans finalizing trade for Asik

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Trading for Asik makes it such that you can't trade for others (that's option B) --- hence, that's the opportunity cost. The cost of the next best option.

So to rewind:

Option A: Trade for Asik

Option B: Make other trades that take the same amount of money from Benson's pockets.

The perceived value difference between option A and option B is opportunity cost (this gets muddier when we consider that because of the Asik trade, we need to make more moves to create cap space).
    And what I am saying is that Option B could not exist because of the CBA. Like, literally not possible. I dont know how to better explain this to you. You only have so many exceptions, and he will use all of them in Option A, just as he would in a scenario where he wouldn't have gotten Asik. In the scenario where he doesnt get Asik, though, he couldnt have magically spent another 7 mil on players. There would be no exception to make this possible. Even if Benson was begging Dell to spend an extra 7 mil, it just wouldnt be possible.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    I didn't mean literally any other way, just that you can't say "well, Asik is really only worth 8.3mil". That money still leaves Benson's pockets that could have been used in some other way. Do we have any updates on the pick protection? Are you hearing anything?
    I doubt benson cares about 7 mil(not the cap,the money on top of that asik is owed due to his deal) when they got 1.5 of that covered and he's making serious revenue with the pels/saints.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Not quite. You get taken off half the difference between the amount he gets (10 mil) and the league min (1 mil). So in this case, 4.5 mil would be removed from what we owe. And if he gets 10 mil each of the years, we would get 9 mil off. 21 mil stretched over 5 years. Yeah, 4.2 mil per year. But anyway, it is basically a little less than half of what he gets over the next two years off of the total, which is then stretched over 5 years.
    Ok thanks for the clarification.
    If you will excuse me, I have to go return some video tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    Some of you are like a guy that wins a million dollars from Publisher's Clearing House, then complains about the taxes and whines about not winning the grand prize.

To get a center that really gives AD an opportunity to reach his considerable potential, the Pelicans were going to have to give up assets. Do you believe they could have acquired a center of Asik's quality without giving up anything of value? Plus that player would likely have a huge contract attached to him as well. Certainly I would prefer that Asik were locked into a longer deal, but that's still a possibility and no center with the kind of skills the Pelicans need was going to be a bargain. It's that bargain player that would probably keep the team from achieving its objectives.

Would I rather the pick was better protected (assuming the reports are accurate)? Sure. But while some of you project the most negative scenarios in your game of What If?, isn't it just as likely that this trade and an accompanying move to secure a SF will make the team more competitive? If the Pelicans' goal was to annually put the team in the best position for the draft, then I might agree with you, but the objective is to win games, make the playoffs and, dare I say it, put the team in position to win a championship. Asik may not be the best center in the NBA, but he could very well become a piece in a larger plan to put the Pelicans in the playoff picture with a chance to do some damage once they get there, especially with the right SF.

IMHO, the Pelicans pick is more likely to be in the 20's if they secure the right SF than it is to be in the top 10, so climb off of the ledge and let's see what else Demps is up to.
    Amen and amen.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I thought Houston owed him that extra money that's not counted against the cap? I thought the Pels pay him the 8.5 or whatever, and Houston pays that extra 6/7 mill?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I thought Houston owed him that extra money that's not counted against the cap? I thought the Pels pay him the 8.5 or whatever, and Houston pays that extra 6/7 mill?
    No, he gets 15 mil this year from whoever has him. Houston gave us 1.5 mil to ease the burden a little, but Benson will be shelling out that money.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Whoever has the contract in the third year is responsible for the balloon payment. Only 8.5 of it is towards the cap. The rest is funny money.

Thanks guys.

I think everybody should take the time out to read this piece. Should get you pumped

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/...ouston-rockets

I think everybody should take the time out to read this piece. Should get you pumped

great article, asik is a true defensive juggernaut and rebounder, can't wait! He will help AD so much.

But also he will eat into AD's rebounds lol but will make the team better as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    great article, asik is a true defensive juggernaut and rebounder, can't wait! He will help AD so much.

But also he will eat into AD's rebounds lol but will make the team better as a whole.
    Didn't we place a bet AD was a 12Reb per game player next year? I seem to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Didn't we place a bet AD was a 12Reb per game player next year? I seem to remember that.
    aww man good point, I said he would be a 25-12-3 guy

this really hurts my odds, but i'll glady lose a bet if it means we are winning.

And for those who dont like to read and are more visual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0IFNcYpKzg

And you cant forget, Austin is gonna eat in for 5 of those boards too (with 18pts and 5 assists too) j/k

My favorite quote from the article: "The primary role of any big man is to defend the paint, but Asik doesn't just "protect" the paint. He rotates around the key like a junkyard dog protecting property."

lol hate u guys, I'm trying to effectively use the law of attraction here.

Ok that was well done and very impressive. Asik will help this team a lot no doubts about that.

My favorite quote from the article: "The primary role of any big man is to defend the paint, but Asik doesn't just "protect" the paint. He rotates around the key like a junkyard dog protecting property."
    that was also my fave part.

I still think we need to trade gordon in order to be a dominant team in the West.. the dudes gonna create chemistry issues like he always does, distrusting the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    I still think we need to trade gordon in order to be a dominant team in the West.. the dudes gonna create chemistry issues like he always does, distrusting the team.
    The final step. If that is somehow the next move, gonna be hard to walk away from this offseason w/o giving it an A+. Dell just needs to pull that final rabbit.

Ballsy trade. Monty gets his guy, and now our only true need is a SF (and backup SF if we're being honest). I like it.

He was my #1 choice for this off season.
    Double double machine, and he dont expect to have the ball in his hands on offense.
    Davis and Asik will be the best front court in the league.
    Great trade.

I know AD and Ryno have to be happy they no longer has to guard centers

Keep in mind the dude averaged 12 rebounds a game one season, thats insane..
    Lets hope the bulls don't land Love or Melo and are forced to trade for eric gordon to have some hope for a competitive season.

Pelicans finalizing trade for Asik

After watching some videos and doing more reading, Asik really comes off as a guy who gets off on destroying people on defense and eating rebounds. I think he couldn't care less about scoring. He just wants to rock people on defense.

I can respect that.

Edited for MM's sanity.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-26-2014 at 01:50 AM. Reason: yes

Thread Information