Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Great Rant from Jimmy Smith

Rant Another Great Rant from Jimmy Smith

I always look forward to Jimmy Smith's articles on NOLA.com to laugh at them. I think he should be reassigned to covering the Jesters because he is a joke
    http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...paying_th.html

And this is the guy who wanted us to draft Anthony Bennett last year

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...st_option.html
    http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s..._versio_3.html

Glad Dell is not consulting him for our roster

Jimmy Smith = Jeff Duncan of Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    Jimmy Smith = Jeff Duncan of Basketball.
    But maybe if we did draft Bennett last year we could have traded him for Jrue this offseason

People in New Orleans deserve better. Thank god they got Nakia Hogan covering basketball lately. At least it is a start
    @mcnamara247

The Franchise    Contributor   

Hey- that's mean

What do you have against the Jesters?

Love the fact that he says, "But in order to become playoff relevant, some important additions need to be made to the roster, the same additions that were in fact needed a year ago but were not addressed." - Umm, the afore mentioned Jrue Holliday and maybe Tyreke Evans, Mr. Smith? Noel (who didn't pay a minute last year) would have done more than Jrue? Wait, what?

The T-P. How far it has fallen...

You have to show them how much you dislike what their writing by not clicking a single link. I haven't clicked a link from Jeff Duncan since Bounty Gate and I haven't clicked a Jimmy Smith link since last year.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I messed up and clicked the link without thinking.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I emailed him. Told him to stop acting like a baby because he doesn't have access to the team. Told him step up his efforts of understanding how the NBA works. It's not the Pelicans job to show him the ropes. He's gotta take the initaitive and learn the business himself. If the Pelicans took him serious maybe he'd get more insight and be able to write smarter articles. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

This is the season I get all my pelicans coverage through FSNO, BSS, and this forum. I have never clicked on a TP link and I never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This is the season I get all my pelicans coverage through FSNO, BSS, and this forum. I have never clicked on a TP link and I never will.
    The Bird Writes is great too

The four pillars of Pelicans information: BSS, PR, The Bird Writes, and MM's twitter page.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Read the article and I see nothing "wrong" with it. This just appears to be one of those situations that if it's not a homer piece that makes it trash. Don't really follow Jimmy Smith and not sure with his past work looks like, but judging this write up on it's own it was a fair assessment.

It's trash because he doesn't analyze anything. A casual fan has no context. He presents no baseline and he presents not even a cursory critique of the Pels aims. Even if you don't agree with them you acknowledge them then proceed to tear it apart. That's called an effective argument. Anything less is trash.

I don't even bother to look at any Jimmy Smith article. He lost me a LONG time ago!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Read the article and I see nothing "wrong" with it. This just appears to be one of those situations that if it's not a homer piece that makes it trash. Don't really follow Jimmy Smith and not sure with his past work looks like, but judging this write up on it's own it was a fair assessment.
    You cannot be serious. That article was beyond terrible. Forget a homer, only a troll would find that garbage fitting.
    I'm a grinder

And the expert opinions offered up by the writers on this forum are any better?

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    And the expert opinions offered up by the writers on this forum are any better?
    umm seeing as nobody here is a professional and the opinions are objective I would say it's not even close. The fact that you are even comparing a fan site to a trained professional shows how garbage he is. Thanks for playing though.

Not referring to the "fans" who post on here. Thank you for trying though.

Everyone here is a fan. If you are calling someone out just do it. As far as I can tell, everyone here does what they do in their spare time. Again, why are you making the comparison between a professional writer and a fan (fan's opinions)

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    You cannot be serious. That article was beyond terrible. Forget a homer, only a troll would find that garbage fitting.
    Well thought out and resourced rebuttual. Not agreeing equals troll. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Everyone here is a fan. If you are calling someone out just do it. As far as I can tell, everyone here does what they do in their spare time. Again, why are you making the comparison between a professional writer and a fan (fan's opinions)

Not just any "professional writer" the Pelicans BEAT writer. Essentially, one of the go to guys for Pelicans news/info for the general public. (that makes me a sad pelican)

Honestly, I think he just trolls all of us. Skip Bayless style, pretty much same as Duncan.
    Writing "homer articles" doesn't get as many clicks as those of aggravated fans commenting and getting into flame wars in the comment section.
    Hell, his response comments in the previous article (which was worse than this one imo) were just egging on the comment flame wars.
    Unfortunately it took me too long to realize he's just a troll. No more clicks for him.

I wouldnt call him a troll. I would say he doesnt understand how to construct an argument and/or he stretches big time with his assumptions.

Example:

"One, the team realizes that protecting this year's No. 1 that went to the Philadelphia 76ers only through the top five was unwise"

So.... Just because they want a 1st round pick, that leads to this conclusion? I went to the store yesterday with $10 and bought two pizzas yesterday and ate one. Today, I go back and spend $5 on some chicken. Well, according to Smith, this means I regret buying the pizza. Um, no. I just want chicken too, especially if I can get it with the coupon I got for buying the pizza (Pierre Jackson in this scenario)

And this sentence:

"But in order to become playoff-relevant, some important additions need to be made to the roster, the same additions that were in fact needed a year ago but were not addressed."

Um, weren't we in pretty much universal agreement that PG was the biggest need?

And all of this leads to this conclusion:

"If it happens, though, it merely reinforces the belief that the team paid too high a price a year ago to acquire Holiday. But we already knew that."

Yet if you were to actually lay out his agrument, in no way does it necessarily lead to this conclusion.

He is not a troll - he just doesn't have much skill as an argument maker.

If you want to pick at the article then OK. But calling it trash is an emotional overreaction. If he took those same liberties praising the team and the deal nobody says anything negative. However because it's an opinion that is unpopular among the fans it's trash.

Thread Information