Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans Info

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   

Pelicans Info

Just wanted to share some of the information I've heard from my source recently.

The first thing he told me, which was a few weeks ago, was that two guys we might target this offseason were Spencer Hawes and Omer Asik. (Personally don't love either, definitely not Hawes given the money he'd get).

Then much more recently he had a few more interesting things to say. He said that Dell did not seem to think we'd be able to bring back Morrow (not sure if it's because we have other plans or he wants a more lucrative pay day). He also said we do not want to trade Ryan at all, but Dell thinks at some point we may have to, in order to improve team.

Also he mentioned he thinks this year will determine whether Monty keeps his job, but keep in mind this is coming from Dell Demps' camp, so it would be unlikely for him to say Dell was on the hot seat, even though it seems he has a shorter lease than Monty.

Edit: One more thing I forgot to add: Not that we have a coaching opening or will in the future, but my guy said that Dell is not a fan of Marc Jackson at all, wouldn't ever bring him here to be the coach. For the record, I'm not a fan either.
    Last edited by RekeHavoc; 06-17-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    Just wanted to share some of the information I've heard from my source recently.

The first thing he told me, which was a few weeks ago, was that two guys we might target this offseason were Spencer Hawes and Omer Asik. (Personally don't love either, definitely not Hawes given the money he'd get).

Then much more recently he had a few more interesting things to say. He said that Dell did not seem to think we'd be able to bring back Morrow (not sure if it's because we have other plans or he wants a more lucrative pay day). He also said we do not want to trade Ryan at all, but Dell thinks at some point we may have to, in order to improve team.

Also he mentioned he thinks this year will determine whether Monty keeps his job, but keep in mind this is coming from Dell Demps' camp, so it would be unlikely for him to say Dell was on the hot seat, even though it seems he has a shorter lease than Monty.
    I figured this much about Ryno, don't want to lose him but he is on a great contract which could help u get rid of a terrible contract in gordon, plus him and AD both play the 4 and we need a TRUE center.

even though it seems he has a shorter lease than Monty.
    Is this the sense you get from other sources, or from this Demps related source?

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Is this the sense you get from other sources, or from this Demps related source?
    Other sources, including national sources. He hasn't ever mentioned anything about Demps being on the hot seat.

I don't wan't Hawes or Asik and they only way we should trade Ryno is for a sf.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I figured this much about Ryno, don't want to lose him but he is on a great contract which could help u get rid of a terrible contract in gordon, plus him and AD both play the 4 and we need a TRUE center.
    My only concern here is that this argument is being made for Ryno and AD, but honestly (and i'm not saying you are stating this here guru, just in general) wouldn't we have the same issue if we get Monroe (whose natural position is also the 4)?

Although OP here is saying Omer Asik is a target, his contract is $14 mil expiring. I don't know what we'd have to give up to get him... Guru had mentioned in other threads about pairing Ryno with Gordon to ship out to make Gordon's contract more attractive, but this pairing wouldn't really help with the Rockets (especially with all the money they've invested in Harden). So I don't know how Dell would even try to make that work out.

Hawes. I just don't like that guy. I don't know what it is, but as a player, he just doesn't do it for me. He rebounds pretty well on the defensive end, which is nice. But I don't think he's all that great of a defensive player (him being on the Sixers and Cavs doesn't help really show how great of a defender he is since those teams were just bad defensively)

I hope Dell's wrong about Morrow though... I'd love to get him back.

yeah im thinking id trade Gordon/Ryno for Asik and Parsons (S/T) but as mentioned done know if the Rockets value you that as much as of course we would
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw Hawes' name. But then again this front office brought in Steamer, and was trying like h3ll to bring in Oden (who didn't play much, and may never play much).

I'm thinking Hawes would be a significant upgrade over Steamer (which ain't saying much).

Slim pickins at the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    My only concern here is that this argument is being made for Ryno and AD, but honestly (and i'm not saying you are stating this here guru, just in general) wouldn't we have the same issue if we get Monroe (whose natural position is also the 4)?

Although OP here is saying Omer Asik is a target, his contract is $14 mil expiring. I don't know what we'd have to give up to get him... Guru had mentioned in other threads about pairing Ryno with Gordon to ship out to make Gordon's contract more attractive, but this pairing wouldn't really help with the Rockets (especially with all the money they've invested in Harden). So I don't know how Dell would even try to make that work out.

Hawes. I just don't like that guy. I don't know what it is, but as a player, he just doesn't do it for me. He rebounds pretty well on the defensive end, which is nice. But I don't think he's all that great of a defensive player (him being on the Sixers and Cavs doesn't help really show how great of a defender he is since those teams were just bad defensively)

Well I personally think, and could be wrong, that Monroe can play the 5, he has the size at 6"11 253 lbs but ur right he isn't a true center but i think he would be adequate enough. Plus I love the fact he would give us a low post scorer.

Also I agree that dell wouldn't want to make the rockets better, but we have gone down the howard and ryno team before and they are a playoff team, i think harden is over rated personally but no doubt it would make them better. But as someone stated a long time ago, eventually you have to worry about improving your own roster if it means making someone else's better as well. You never know, howard or harden could get traded tomorrow, then we missed an opportunity to add parsons.

Hindsight is always 20/20, this is why being a GM isn't easy.

One thing I know for sure is this team needs a SF and a Low post scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw Hawes' name. But then again this front office brought in Steamer, and was trying like h3ll to bring in Oden (who didn't play much, and may never play much).

I'm thinking Hawes would be a significant upgrade over Steamer (which ain't saying much).

Slim pickins at the 5.
    I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw that too. He just has that effect on people. He looks like a smug *******... well, just an ******* in general now that I think about it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

Slim pickins at the 5.
    Our best bet is probably to get Withey to just run around the building for 30 minutes everyday so he can play basketball that long, too.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    Yeah I have zero interest in Hawes. I think he's probably out of our price range anyway. Maybe we could afford him, but wouldn't have any money to do much else. Wouldn't be too worried about it...

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Well I personally think, and could be wrong, that Monroe can play the 5, he has the size at 6"11 253 lbs but ur right he isn't a true center but i think he would be adequate enough. Plus I love the fact he would give us a low post scorer.
    If we are paying a guy an upwards of $11+ mil/yr, I would hope he's more than adequate. I don't just wanna sign someone to sign somebody... that's my biggest concern with Monroe. He can score down low, and that is a big plus. But we have 3 scorers already in Jrue, Tyreke and AD... all will take double digit shot attempts.. and if we manage to keep Ryno, we'll have a lot less to spread around. The more I'm thinking about it, the less I'm hoping for Monroe.

I agree with everyone. No thanks on hawes.

Quote Originally Posted by RekeHavoc View Post
    Yeah I have zero interest in Hawes. I think he's probably out of our price range anyway. Maybe we could afford him, but wouldn't have any money to do much else. Wouldn't be too worried about it...
    Speaking of affording him, did you get any idea whether they were planning to after people with the MLE, Trade, or clear the decks and maximize cap space?

If these sources are accurate... Well let's just say I'm not too confident in our FO right now.

Asik's cap hit is only like $8 mil IIRC. It's 14 mil for Houston but 8 for everyone else. That's why Houston desperately wants to rid themselves of him and Lin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Asik's cap hit is only like $8 mil IIRC. It's 14 mil for Houston but 8 for everyone else. That's why Houston desperately wants to rid themselves of him and Lin.
    Ahhhhhhhh, ok. That makes sense. I saw the $8mil figure as well and was confused. I knew he had a higher cap hit than that for them. Didn't realize it was just for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    This is not true. It is 8.3 cap hit for EVERYONE, yet everyone has to pay 15 mil in real money to him next yr if they acquire him
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This is not true. It is 8.3 cap hit for EVERYONE, yet everyone has to pay 15 mil in real money to him next yr if they acquire him
    So basically he counts for 8.3 against your cap figure, but you have to pay him the addition 6+mil on the side?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    All of this can drive someone crazy. Maybe PJ can become the difference maker in all of this. Either playing for the Pelicans or in a trade for someone.

G.O.A.T.    Contributor   
    I really think they want a Center to pair with AD, not sure whether this is because of Monty of it's what the Fromt Office wants. I do hope they realize that SF is a more glaring need and have something up their sleeve. Also, I wouldn't be too worried about the Hawes and Asik comment. I think it was more of just naming two of the many guys we are going to target.

So basically he counts for 8.3 against your cap figure, but you have to pay him the addition 6+mil on the side?
    The more appropriate way to look at it, IMO, is that you have to pay him $15 mil, but he only counts for 8.3 mil against your cap. But either way, yes, that is how it works with Asik and Lin. And that is how they are viewed per CBA rules regarding trades, as guys who count for 8.3 mil.

The more appropriate way to look at it, IMO, is that you have to pay him $15 mil, but he only counts for 8.3 mil against your cap. But either way, yes, that is how it works with Asik and Lin. And that is how they are viewed per CBA rules regarding trades, as guys who count for 8.3 mil.
    Cool, thanks for the clarification. Wasn't sure how that all worked out

And this is exactly why the league (all the GMs) should make them keep Asik and Lin on those poison pill deals.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Thread Information