Pelicans Report

Thread: AD23forMVP's Andrew Wiggins Scouting Report

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

AD23forMVP's Andrew Wiggins Scouting Report

Andrew Wiggins, Kansas

NBA Position: SF, SG
    General Information: DOB: 2/23/95, 19 years old, Freshman
    Measurables: 6'8, 197 lbs, 7'0 wingspan. Measurables from 2013 Nike Hoop Summit
    2013-2014 Season Statistics: 17.1 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 1.5 APG, 2.3 TPG, 44.8 FG%, 34.1 3PT%, 77.5 FT%, 32.8 MPG
    2013-2014 Advanced Statistics: 56.3 TS%, 10.4 TRB%, 9.2 AST%, 13.1 TO%, 26.3 USG%, 116.1 ORTG, 102.8 DRTG, .170 WS/48

PROS:
    Offense:
    • Has a good understanding of spacing and angles.
      • General idea is that "no offensive movement" means that a player is not constantly moving around the floor, but this also refers to an offensive player not creating better spacing and angles when another offensive player enters their area.

• Great cutter. Cuts to open areas.
    • Good form on FT- 77.5%.
    • Is aggressive running off of screens.
    • Shows a good ability to read defenses at a young age.
    • Works hard when establishing low post position.
    • Great hands, catches the majority of all passes.
    • Explosive first step in a straight line drive. Long strides.
    • Has an explosive first step on straight line drives, but the second and third step are even more explosive on any sort of dribble drive.
    • Shows great lift ability on lay ups and jump shots.
      • Because of his size at 6'8, 7 foot wingspan, and ability to get good lift he can get clean shots off over defenders.
    • Capable pull up shooter out of the PnR.
    • Struggled hitting jumpers in college, but should improve that skill in the NBA. *Actual ability to get those shots up over defenders will help his offensive game if and when he becomes a constant jump shooter.
    • Will immediately be one of the NBA's quickest jumpers upon his entrance to the league. *Second jump sets him apart, elite.
    • Will immediately be one of the NBA's better reaction players upon his entrance to the league.
    • Good offensive rebounder for a SF.
      • Will only improve even more as he adds strength.
      • Uses his elite leaping abilities to go up and get the ball at its highest point.
      • Attacks the glass and isn't afraid to battle against bigger defenders.

• Likes to attack the rim. Very good at getting there off a straight line. Gets to the free throw line.
    • Likes to go down into the post. Doesn't possess many back to the basket moves but likes to face up.
    • Moves effortlessly, almost glides.
    • Good post entry passer.
    • Great in transition. Will have more success getting out and running in the NBA.
    • Can handle the ball or fill the lane in transition.
    • Capable spot up shooter
      • Good form and mechanics.
      • Will only improve as he gets older, should be an above average spot up shooter in his prime.
      • Quick release and great balance on his shots.

• Lethal spin move going to the rim. Can spin right or left.
    • Attacks the middle of the floor. If he is along the right sideline, he goes left. If he is along the left sideline, he goes right. Doesn't look to drive baseline all that often.
    • Has a good floater.

Defense:
    • Does a very good job seeing man and ball defensively.
    • Anticipation is good for a player of his age. Anticipates and recognizes off ball screens and gets around them.
    • Length allows him to do a lot of things.
      • Gets out and contests shots.
      • Recovers quicker.
      • Challenges shots at the rim.
      • Plays the passing lanes and forces turnovers.

• Does a good job moving his feet when defending on ball in the half court.
    • Gets back and forth defensively, doesn't lollygag up and down the court.
    • Good defensive rebounder for a SF.
      • Will only improve even more as he adds strength.
      • Uses his elite leaping abilities to go up and get the ball at its highest point.
      • Attacks the glass and isn't afraid to battle against bigger defenders.

• Uses his length to deny entry on the wing.
    • Was not a great college defender, but length and athleticism allowed him to recover after mistakes.
    • Outworks others to gain possession of 50/50 balls.
    • Closest out effectively and does not often allow offensive player to drive by because of over aggression closing out.
    • Good shot blocker for a wing player. *Could he average 3 combined blocks and steals (as in 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks) per game in his prime? *What about 3.5?
    • Solid on ball college defender. *Improved as the season progressed.
      • Huge upside as a defender in his prime.
      • Moves very well laterally.

• Will be able to guard multiple positions in the NBA due to his length/quickness.

CONS:
    Offense:
    • To complacent or passive. Does he have a "killer instinct? *Does he have the "go to guy" instinct?
    • Passes up to many offensive opportunities.
      • IE: Passes up open shots. Does not attack mismatches, etc.

• Struggles mightily to finish at the rim.
      • Struggles to finish one on one at the rim.
      • Struggles finishing through contact.
      • Struggles finishing in traffic.
      • Gets great lift around the rim but does not always go as hard as he should.
      • As a result of not going hard enough, has to rely on his touch around the rim which is average at best, and that may be me being generous.

• Does not display ability to initiate the offense. Generally plays out of the corners.
    • Does not set up screens before coming off of them. Limits the effectiveness of the screen.
    • Keeps the ball to far from body (loose handle) when dribbling, leaves more opportunity for defenders to get hands on the ball.
    • Likes to use the jab step on the perimeter, but his first step off the jab is not elite because he goes off the wrong foot.
    • Lacks an incredibly explosive first step off a dribble move. Example being the jab.
    • Should improve as a shooter, but right now he is a below average 3pt shooter.
    • Could use more arc on his shots. Getting more leg into the shot would help his improvement.
    • Attempts more off the dribble jumpers than jumpers of the spot up variety.
    • Inconsistent with how much bend he gets on his jumpers.
      • Body is upright and has a lot of hard misses off the back of the rim.
    • Does not square up off the dribble. *Not the type of form you would hope to see.
    • Not a playmaker. Lacks the ability to make passes on the move.
      • IE: Can't drive and dish.

• 0.68 assist to turnover ratio
    • Does not have great handles. Lacks dribble moves, or "shake." Hurts his ability to create for himself or others.
    • Because of his lack of handles, uses more jabs, ball fakes, head fakes, etc. Didn't always work in college and will work less in the NBA.
    • Like previously stated, is to complacent and passive offensively, but when he does decide to go his shot selection is questionable.
      • IE: Settles for a lot of long twos, attempts to finish at the rim after the defense collapses, etc.

• Does not pull himself out of slumps. If he starts the game off struggling he'll struggle throughout.
    • Struggles going left or finishing with his left hand.

Defense:
    • Over gambles which leads to getting out of position. Normal in young players.
    • Not consistent with help or weakside defense. Falls asleep and is vulnerable.
    • Stands to upright when not defending on ball. Gets him in some bad positions.
    • Kind of a matador when helping at the rim. *Doesn't get into the lane often, just stands in place and swipes as the offensive player drives by.
    • PnR defense is questionable. Doesn't get through on ball screens with the same anticipation and energy that he does with off ball screens.
    • Inconsistent in whether he leaves his feet to contest or stays grounded with arms straight up in air.
    • Poor understanding of transition defense. Struggles to find man or pick up ball.
    • Motor is not always running. Gets caught walking.

Bottom Line: Did not live up to hype and expectations at Kansas, but still has a very good future ahead of him. Will likely never be a superstar or franchise changer in the mold of a LeBron or Durant, but should develop into a player with similar impacts as Paul George or Luol Deng, perhaps better. But he still has a ways to go. Offensively he needs to develop better ball handling skills as well as better perimeter shooting skills. Defensively he needs to become more aware as a team defender. But the building blocks are there and the potential is evident. Personally I would not put money on him to turn into LeBron or Durant, but I wouldn't say it's off the table either. Just wouldn't bank on it.
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 06-22-2014 at 04:04 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Got...dayum.

I assume you're doing this for more players? If so, I eagerly await them.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I am. So far I've got Wiggins, Jabari Parker, and Marcus Smart done. Plan to finish Joel Embiid by Tuesday at the latest.

Then I'll do Aaron Gordon and probably Noah Vonleh (though Gordon and Vonleh won't be as lengthy as I only have a few games of theirs).

I watched only some 5-6 games and i agree on all of these points. Nice scout report man (just correct *to to *too), well done

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I am. So far I've got Wiggins, Jabari Parker, and Marcus Smart done. Plan to finish Joel Embiid by Tuesday at the latest.

Then I'll do Aaron Gordon and probably Noah Vonleh (though Gordon and Vonleh won't be as lengthy as I only have a few games of theirs).
    Definitely want to see these ASAP. Appreciate your effort. Quality stuff.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

That is on hell of an analysis right there. Dam!!!!!

Wiggins has awful touch around the rim. He also refuses to use his left hand, that part of his game worries me. With an athlete like him ball handling doesn't worry me so much though. I see Paul George and worst case Derozan. I don't think he's the guy you want as a number 1 option on offense. If he's not brought along slowly in a good situation like George or Kawhi he might struggle. Parker May go first because he is that scorer and will be ready, but I think wiggins ends up the better player.

Really great! Love the effort. Can't wait for more. I haven't studied this draft much since we didn't have a pick. This is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Thread Information