Pelicans Report

Page 71 of 101 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2501

Thread: NBA off-season Rumors

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post

So what, is this like some kinda "Goodbye, meeting?"

It'll surprise me truly if LeBron goes back. And the skeptic in me sees it as trying to win back the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    No. It doesn't change the fact that he's an oft-injured player on one of the worse contracts in the league. I appreciate the enthusiasm though. I wish I was as optimistic as you.
    I'm King Optimist, and even I see the writing on the wall.

I think it could happen if a very specific sequence of circumstances play out. But I don't expect it to.

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Meeting lasted only a hour.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Meeting lasted only a hour.
    Doesn't sound like a lot of negotiating could've gone down. Or if so, cursory.

Huh...could this thing actually happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

I'll say this, if LBJ goes to Cavs and they don't get love hrs worse off than if he would have went back.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

On the money side of things, I don't think there is much negotiation. He wants the max and that's what he'll get. I have a feeling it was Riley's last ditched efforts to beg.

There are so many conflicting stories.

There's a lot of cons to joining the Cavs:
    1. Dan Gilbert
    2. Rookie NBA head coach (Coached in euroleagues before); seems like they would have waited and hired Marc Jackson if this were real
    3. Dan Gilbert
    4. Nothing but green players next to him that really don't play defense.
    5. Dan Gilbert
    6. Not a ton of money to sign another guy next to him just role players like broke down Mike Miller and Ray Allen.
    7. Cleveland is run like a C class organization

Cons to playing in Miami
    1. May lose in the finals again
    2. Not at home

I have a gut feeling he's going to Cleveland but i really have no clue why. If i had to bet $ on it, it'd be Miami.

The only thing to discuss with Riley was number of years. He knew the roster, he had talked to Wade, and knows Bosh will follow him.

I can see number of years being a small issue, but what else was there to talk about? Probably got assurance he can get how ever many or few years he wants. Now can talk to family and decide.

I still will be absolutely shocked if it is Cleveland
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    There are so many conflicting stories.

There's a lot of cons to joining the Cavs:
    1. Dan Gilbert
    2. Rookie NBA head coach (Coached in euroleagues before); seems like they would have waited and hired Marc Jackson if this were real
    3. Dan Gilbert
    4. Nothing but green players next to him that really don't play defense.
    5. Dan Gilbert
    6. Not a ton of money to sign another guy next to him just role players like broke down Mike Miller and Ray Allen.
    7. Cleveland is run like a C class organization

Cons to playing in Miami
    1. May lose in the finals again
    2. Not at home

I have a gut feeling he's going to Cleveland but i really have no clue why. If i had to bet $ on it, it'd be Miami.
    That rookie coach is being praised by almost everyone. Grant land loved him, coaches speak highly of him, Players who have played for him have called him a genius and better then Phil Jackson. That's not light praise. If he were in LA he would be considered the second coming by the media at this point.

Wiggins should be a good and willing defender day one.

Kyrie is a stud. The possibility of adding Love would create possibly the best 3 tandem in the league.

My vote is still out on the new front office but they have done everything right so far.

I agree with the rest though.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I can see number of years being a small issue, but what else was there to talk about? Probably got assurance he can get how ever many or few years he wants. Now can talk to family and decide.
    The Zach Lowe article from earlier in the week about how ridiculous the idea of max players having to sacrifice for the "good of the team" was really sacrificing for the "good of the owner" made me think this could be about something else. One of the allegeded issues from before this whole process started was questions about how much money Mickey Arison would be willing to spend. There are some team building implications to going over the $81 million tax apron, they actually couldn't sign McRoberts because they'd be at the Taxpayer MLE, but maybe LeBron wants assurances that his owner has as much skin in the game as he does. Maybe he wants Bosh and Wade to get as much money as they can while still being able to improve the team.

And of course Riley will tell him yes. I mean, I really don't know what new things he could have learned today. He has to know already. But I get the point of not rushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I still will be absolutely shocked if it is Cleveland
    I have a hard time with it too. I can't imagine him on The Decision II saying, "I'm taking my talents back to the banks of Lake Erie."

James could have shot down these rumors a couple days ago I just can't imagine after " the decision" and how it hurt Cleveland that he would have let this continue if he wasn't going home . This is his home , he loves this place and the people I will be shocked if he leaves them at the altar once again .

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    James could have shot down these rumors a couple days ago I just can't imagine after " the decision" and how it hurt Cleveland that he would have let this continue if he wasn't going home . This is his home , he loves this place and the people I will be shocked if he leaves them at the altar once again .
    This will be what Cavs fans say if he chooses Miami again. Some have said that Lebron is not at fault for not shooting the rumors down and if he chooses Miami, he has nothing to answer for. Cavs fans will not agree.

Cleveland is not LeBron's home; Akron is. He doesn't care about Cleveland like a lot of New Orleanians don't care about Baton Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Cleveland is not LeBron's home; Akron is. He doesn't care about Cleveland like a lot of New Orleanians don't care about Baton Rouge.
    you have it bass ackwards

there are a lot of BR people who care about what happens w/ the Saints/Pelicans... and that's what LeBron has w/ the Cavs

I really think it's gonna come down to his family and where he wants to raise his kids . He's got his rings he doesn't have to be in the finals next year this team is a better option for the future than Miami . Don't under estimate the power of the wife and she wants to be close to her family in Clevland .

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    If LeBron rights a wrong by going back to Cleveland I will applaud him and feel it is a major victory for the small market guys like us when we want to retain or attract a free agent

Tomorrow you will see , James to Cleveland , Bosh to Houston and Melo back in NYC , just my opinion well see .

It's really not possible for LeBron to be hated any more than he already has been. But I think he really isn't sure. Miami has made it to the Finals 4 years in a row. Even if Kyrie/Love seems like a better core for the next 5 years, if he's only planning to sign a 2 year deal, then it's the next 2 years that matter. If the Cleveland core would require at least 1 year of growing pains like he had with the Heat, then the Cavs are not necessarily the better team for the next 2 years.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Again, I think you are missing the 40 miles away part.....

You don't think Robert Alford (SELU) would consider playing for the Saints playing at home?
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-09-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    It's really not possible for LeBron to be hated any more than he already has been. But I think he really isn't sure. Miami has made it to the Finals 4 years in a row. Even if Kyrie/Love seems like a better core for the next 5 years, if he's only planning to sign a 2 year deal, then it's the next 2 years that matter. If the Cleveland core would require at least 1 year of growing pains like he had with the Heat, then the Cavs are not necessarily the better team for the next 2 years.
    One year of growing pains would be a miracle. Cant think of one core that went from never making the playoffs to winning a title in 1-2 years. Minimum 2-3 years before they are ready to win it all. If LBJ cares about titles, he can't go there. Only if it is about something else.

Thread Information