Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans looking to get a top 5 pick?

False rumors dont tell me he is putting in work. The fact that he is always putting in work tells me he is probably putting in work. He has never been idol. Has always been amongst the most active GMs. I dont need a made up rumor to tell me he is working as hard as he possibly can to improve the team.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I guess I just wonder where the line is though. I mean, building a time machine and bringing Larry Bird back from 1984 to play for us would be a real interesting scenario, but I doubt we get a ten page thread going on it. So, whats the line?

I guess it is me. I personally dont find it interesting to discuss things that arent possible. Seems like I am the oddball, and I am cool with that. Just genuinely trying to understand.
    As someone who frequents reddit.com/r/nba, I have to disagree with you on this one. The top post there yesterday was "Would Lebron still be the best player in the league if he had to wear flip flops." But yes, it's just a cure for short-term broedom. I'm nearly alone here but I'd rather add Tucker and Blatche and hopefully Morrow than trade an asset for a Late 1st rounder, or trade a bunch of assets for a top 5 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    As someone who frequents reddit.com/r/nba, I have to disagree with you on this one. The top post there yesterday was "Would Lebron still be the best player in the league if he had to wear flip flops." But yes, it's just a cure for short-term broedom. I'm nearly alone here but I'd rather add Tucker and Blatche and hopefully Morrow than trade an asset for a Late 1st rounder, or trade a bunch of assets for a top 5 pick.
    And this is not what fandom was about 20-30 yrs ago, which leads to my bigger question: What is it like 20-30 yrs from now?

I feel like an old man at 33 yelling at kids to appreciate the game and stop with the riff raff. By 53 or 63, I will be unbearable.

I know its me - I need to change, because the tidal wave will not. But I cant bring myself to do it.

We wouldn't have to give up all of that to get a top 5 pick. We could give up jrue and a 1st and get in the top 5. If philly can get the number 6 pick and another 1st rounder, surely we could go jrue + 1st for a top five pick

Quote Originally Posted by Pels23 View Post
    We wouldn't have to give up all of that to get a top 5 pick. We could give up jrue and a 1st and get in the top 5. If philly can get the number 6 pick and another 1st rounder, surely we could go jrue + 1st for a top five pick
    The difference is that Philly found a team that wanted to start winning immediately. Who in that top 5 is hitting the accelerator button and wants to win immediately? They are all building incredibly slow, aside from Cleveland - who has Kyrie.

The difference is that Philly found a team that wanted to start winning immediately. Who in that top 5 is hitting the accelerator button and wants to win immediately? They are all building incredibly slow, aside from Cleveland - who has Kyrie.
    Not mention that this draft is graded as one of the highest in recent memory while last year draft was graded as one of the lowest in recent memory.

Not mention that this draft is graded as one of the highest in recent memory while last year draft was graded as one of the lowest in recent memory.

And this is not what fandom was about 20-30 yrs ago, which leads to my bigger question: What is it like 20-30 yrs from now?

I feel like an old man at 33 yelling at kids to appreciate the game and stop with the riff raff. By 53 or 63, I will be unbearable.

I know its me - I need to change, because the tidal wave will not. But I cant bring myself to do it.
    I think the key is to be less demanding of the people you are posting to unless you're very sure they can take it.

Do the same thing that you currently do; that is put up information that backs your point, and put forward your point, and if people blow you off and continue what they're doing, then so be it. If conversation gets out of control, block or ban users that are messing things up or move threads to the dump.

I personally enjoy the insight you and Schwan bring to the conversation, and it makes me alot smarter in my discussion with friends about NBA in general. I also trust that you have better inside info than most so your comments on topics like this have more weighting than others. But telling people to stop wishing, not going to happen. It's a big part for many people of what makes following the NBA fun, and you'll just get frustrated trying to stop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I think this needs to be cleaned up a bit. I think this one is seen as having better high end prospects. I dont think that it is necessarily better 9-60. I think it is pretty similar to most, including last years in that regard and will play out that way. Its top tier, though, is comparable to a class like 2012, without the once in a decade type player, though.

I dont think, though, overall it is going to go down as one of the best. Will be deeper than 2012, but w/o the high end talent. I think it will be close to the 2011 draft when it is all said and done. A good draft, but not one that changed the league.

I think this needs to be cleaned up a bit. I think this one is seen as having better high end prospects. I dont think that it is necessarily better 9-60. I think it is pretty similar to most, including last years in that regard and will play out that way. Its top tier, though, is comparable to a class like 2012, without the once in a decade type player, though.

I dont think, though, overall it is going to go down as one of the best. Will be deeper than 2012, but w/o the high end talent. I think it will be close to the 2011 draft when it is all said and done. A good draft, but not one that changed the league.
    This is your opinion which is fine and should carry some weight especially here, but this is not the consensus thought on this draft and was illustrated when Chad Ford released his tier list. So there's nothing to "clean up" you are just giving your take on the draft which happens to be different than most of the NBA scouts and "insiders".

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The fact that he is always putting in work tells me he is probably putting in work.
    Classic stuff, there.

It's a pipedream but I would love Vonleh. Picture a defensive minded Bosh.
    SIGN A SF

But then, when it dont come true, what does it matter that they were mentioned?

I guess I am trying to understand the value people see in unrealistic rumors. Is it just a short term thing that distracts you from otherwise being bored? Because there is certainly no long term benefit. When Thursday comes and goes w/o us getting a top 5 guy, there will be no benefit then. So, is it just a short term escape from boredom that this provides?
    It's entertaining!

Doesnt make a ton of sense. We dont have the assets to get Wiggins/Parker and none of the other top prospects are a great fit for us. Wouldn't give up Jrue

disagree, this class is one of the deepest in recent years imo

And this is not what fandom was about 20-30 yrs ago
    What do you know about what it was like 30 years ago? It's exactly what it was like 30 years ago, and 40 and 50. And it's what it'll be like in another 20 or 30 years.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I doubt this is true, but if it were I'm not really interested in moving Ryno for a Vonleh, Gordon, etc. I'd take Wiggins and Parker, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    What do you know about what it was like 30 years ago? It's exactly what it was like 30 years ago, and 40 and 50. And it's what it'll be like in another 20 or 30 years.
    This is simply not true. My dad is a huge sports fan and we have talked since I was a kid. They didnt spend the majority of their talking about rumors, looking at possibilities years from now, and wondering how they could get this guy or that guy on their team. They focused on the guys they had and lived and died with each game. In the present.

I am trying not to judge the present form, and I said I was the problem and needed to change, but there is no way I will believe it is not vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This is your opinion which is fine and should carry some weight especially here, but this is not the consensus thought on this draft and was illustrated when Chad Ford released his tier list. So there's nothing to "clean up" you are just giving your take on the draft which happens to be different than most of the NBA scouts and "insiders".
    Ford and others got this "2014 is the best ever" bandwagon going last year. Almost everybody outside of Ford has jumped off that statement and still say it is strong, but not one of the best ever. Aside from maybe Parker, all the guys thought to be franchise caliber guys have underperformed. Have not heard one analyst call anybody in this draft a franchise pillar, asie for maybe Embiid before he got hurt.

But yes, it is my opinion. Just like it is theirs. I just think you are remembering the old narrative, not the more recent one. Look at Kevin Pelton's analysis for instance. He actually deemed it a below average draft. And his numbers are similar to Hollinger's metrics, so he probably would have said the same thing.

We'll know in a couple of years. Not like we will remember to bring it back up or care by then.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    The reason for so many rumors nowadays is the oversaturation of news via social media. People leaking info to make a name for themselves as an insider.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    The reason for so many rumors nowadays is the oversaturation of news via social media. People leaking info to make a name for themselves as an insider.
    Nailhead meets hammer.

A few weeks ago we hear (well I heard on this site) half the teams in the top of the lottery are looking to trade their picks.

A few weeks later we hear a rumor of the Pels are looking into making a move to get in the top of the lottery.

In the words of that angry guy from 12 Angry Men "What in the hell is going on around here?"
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Nailhead meets hammer.
    If you (not you specifically, insiders haha) throw enough crapghetti against the wall, something will eventually stick haha

I agree, but it starts with the customer not the salesman in my opinion. If people wanted hardcore analysis and game breakdown, the media would service that. But when ESPN puts up two minutes of game breakdown and two minutes of Tim Tebow rumors and Tebow gets 20 times better ratings, they would be fools not to shift their coverage that way.

Same with reporters - they get their name by breaking a story, not breaking down the game. Outside of Zach Lowe, I would bet 90% of basketball fans cant name a reporter who breaks down the game, but most of them can name the "sources" guys.

My point is that we can change it. We blame ESPN and other outlets, but they just give consumers what they want. It is up to the consumers to change their desires.

Just because somebody wants jrue holiday doesn't mean theyre in win now mode. Jrue is a young talented point guard. A team like orlando could pair him up with Oladipo and have their guards for the future.

Thread Information