Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans looking to get a top 5 pick?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You will only get killed because it is not possible, seeing that he just signed a ridiculous 2 year extension.
    Amended...

And you dont get disappointed when you start to talk so much about it that you think it is possible, and then it doesn't happen?
    I just guess I see the downside as worse than the upside. At least with impossible rumors like this. I get the possible ones or even the not likely, but hopeful ones.

To me, discussing this is like discussing if some hockey writer tweeted he heard Gordon for Durant was a possibility this summer. It falls in a whole different category
    Just have to keep in mind that the odds of said move/trade stand little chance of happening. If it happens, Great, If Not, off to something else to talk about. Keep a real perspective and you wont be disappointed

Especially for someone like me in Illinois. Very hard to find coverage of the Pels this far north obviously. But I have been a League Pass subscriber for years. I read the Times-Pacayune a lot as well.

They wouldn't if the people didn't allow it.

I hear people complain about ESPN all the time and how it is all about rumors, but that is what people want. I write an in depth piece evaluating on court basketball and it gets 1/6th the views as a rumor or speculation piece. The media only feeds the people what they want. I guess I just wished the people wanted other things.
    Congrats on getting 1/6th the viewers, but people are going to keep buying that lottery ticket and thinking about the chance to quit their job, when reality says quit dreaming your going to be punching that time clock from 9-5 for the next 30 years.

Del and Monty give conferences all the time yet people keep thinking they can read between the lines and that they can read their minds and predict their next moves rather than just go with what's in front of them.

People like to let their imaginations get the best of them some times.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Just have to keep in mind that the odds of said move/trade stand little chance of happening. If it happens, Great, If Not, off to something else to talk about. Keep a real perspective and you wont be disappointed
    If you can keep a rational head, I guess there is no downside. I guess I just wish actual gameplay would ignite conversations as much as false rumors did. One way or another, it will be over in 6 days.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Congrats on getting 1/6th the viewers, but people are going to keep buying that lottery ticket and thinking about the chance to quit their job, when reality says quit dreaming your going to be punching that time clock from 9-5 for the next 30 years.

Del and Monty give conferences all the time yet people keep thinking they can read between the lines and that they can read their minds and predict their next moves rather than just go with what's in front of them.

People like to let their imaginations get the best of them some times.
    Trust me, I understand that this is the reality. I guess I am asking if this is the way it HAS to be? And if we are heading more and more this way each and every day, what is the news cycle going to look like in 10-20 years? I am terrified to learn the answer to that question.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLHornetsFan View Post
    Especially for someone like me in Illinois. Very hard to find coverage of the Pels this far north obviously. But I have been a League Pass subscriber for years. I read the Times-Pacayune a lot as well.
    Now I see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    This, basically.... and while you're right and I wouldn't have read it on twitter and started this forum, it was here and people were talking about it, and it's different that Gordon for Durant, because it takes a minute or two of contemplating to make sure it isn't actually possible. I think that's why this thread happened. Once something new pops up, we all move on the the possibility of signing Blatche or the rumor that Chicago is shopping their #19 pick... It's just the flavor of the minute. Obviously some people got really into it... and I suspect that if I was into College BBall maybe I would've been the same. But, I don't think it adds up to "expectations." I don't think if Amick added us to the list of possible Melo suitors in a S&T, and we got Tucker and Blatche and re-signed Morrow, that many sane fans would spend the whole season saying "Dang, why didn't Dell get Melo!"

Trust me, I understand that this is the reality. I guess I am asking if this is the way it HAS to be? And if we are heading more and more this way each and every day, what is the news cycle going to look like in 10-20 years? I am terrified to learn the answer to that question.
    This is a frightening Question.

Yeah not a lot of good coverage in their. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    This, basically.... and while you're right and I wouldn't have read it on twitter and started this forum, it was here and people were talking about it, and it's different that Gordon for Durant, because it takes a minute or two of contemplating to make sure it isn't actually possible. I think that's why this thread happened. Once something new pops up, we all move on the the possibility of signing Blatche or the rumor that Chicago is shopping their #19 pick... It's just the flavor of the minute. Obviously some people got really into it... and I suspect that if I was into College BBall maybe I would've been the same. But, I don't think it adds up to "expectations." I don't think if Amick added us to the list of possible Melo suitors in a S&T, and we got Tucker and Blatche and re-signed Morrow, that many sane fans would spend the whole season saying "Dang, why didn't Dell get Melo!"
    Sane and fans are two terms that cant coexist.

Definition of fanatic is: a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal

Not much room for sanity. There are different levels of us, though. We need more words. I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" for example. I enjoy watching and following the team but not excessively or single mindedly. We need a new word

The problem for me is that I read everything you guys write. So, when I run out of stuff to read or learn about the Pels or the NBA, I end up on here, having some meaningful and some superfluous conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLHornetsFan View Post
    Yeah not a lot of good coverage in their. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thats why The Bird Writes and Bourbon Street Shots exist. So you can get good coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    The problem for me is that I read everything you guys write. So, when I run out of stuff to read or learn about the Pels or the NBA, I end up on here, having some meaningful and some superfluous conversations.
    Yeah, I wasnt trying to act snobby and I hope it didnt come off that way. But there is a level of rumor that should just be ignored IMO. This is one of those to me.

Not much room for sanity. There are different levels of us, though. We need more words. I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" for example. I enjoy watching and following the team but not excessively or single mindedly. We need a new word
    Rational enthusiasts.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I like that. I am the biggest Pelicans RE in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Rational enthusiasts.
    I feel that I'm an NBA and Pelicans connoisseur. (Without the WASPy pretense)

connoisseur: one who enjoys with discrimination and appreciation of subtleties

A Rec'er - A rational enthusiast and connoisseur.

I am a Pelican Rec'er.

Michael I know everybody has been talking about the Love trade but if it were to happen, How would Love and Davis co-exist. I guess it would be just like having a beefed up Ryan Anderson on the team.

A Rec'er - A rational enthusiast and connoisseur.

I am a Pelican Rec'er.
    Nicely adapted.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Nicely adapted.
    I love it, This should be coined.

I believe in Premier League they call fans "supporters". That lacks the connotation of being mindless or zealots I think, which is hilarious considering the audience.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

It's funny how binary following a sports team has become. You're either a loyal fan or a babbling pessimist.

Pelicans looking to get a top 5 pick?

MM, I understand the argument about "disappointed" fans if the top 5 pick doesn't happen, and the "fanatic" comment. HOWEVER, there are levels to fandom. My fandom doesn't make me irrational. It makes me long for constant improvement and a winning program. If we do NOTHING this offseason, win 50 games next year or make the playoffs, I'm good. (FWIW, getting Jrue and Ryno back makes us a better team than the end of last year).

My issues with the team come when we do (or don't do) things to make us better. I've learned to not live in the moment and let things play out before jumping to conclusions. Dell, Monty, heck probably all the guys at BSS know more about the game than I do. This provides an explanation to defer judgment on personnel moves until I see how it results on the court.

I said all that to say, don't lump ALL fans into the sect that don't know a skip pass from Skip Bayless.

I feel like this especially applies to Saints Report. Good luck going against the grain while maintaining rational thought. You'll be red Thumbed to death if you say something that most don't agree with. For Example, I don't think Roger Goodell is the Anti-Christ.

Thread Information