Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans looking to get a top 5 pick?

Quote Originally Posted by ILLHornetsFan View Post
    But in sports I never get too excited until something happens. I compare the NBA offseason to college basketball recruiting. Very Very similar anymore.
    You are one of the rare few. Just watch. If something spectacular doesn't happen, it will be considered a disappointing offseason. And it shouldnt be. Last summer we built the core. This is the fill in the gaps summer. But now, expectations will be over the moon if these rumors keep coming out.
    @mcnamara247

I enjoy rumors like this, while they might not be credible, how many credible rumors come to fruition anyway?

I don't see who we could possibly trade to get that high, and I don't know why we would even want to get that high unless it was for Parker or Wiggins.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    With all the respect I have to give to you and your thoughts and opinions, I'm very happy that you are not our GM.
    well, the scenario at the end was hyperbole to a certain extent. I wouldn't really give that much unless it cleared all of their saleries too.

Imagine if we had all the money those guys cost and picked up FA's

jrue or tyreke
    jodie meeks
    gordon heywood or luol deng
    anthony davis
    Noah Vonleh

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdda View Post
    Ignoring it would be the logical thing to do, but not near as much fun. Isn't talking about rumors part of the purpose of these types of forums? BTW, the rumor is completely illogical.
    Personally, I dont think that should be the purpose of a forum - at least not a primary purpose, but I guess it is what happens. I dont mind discussion of rational things floating around or things with multiple sources. But if this is the criteria to start really getting into a topic that we all know is completely illogical, I just think it sets people up for disappointment. But that is the choice of each individual person.

I just hope that when we grade the offseason, we do it without the idea of these rediculous rumors floating around in our mind.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I enjoy rumors like this, while they might not be credible, how many credible rumors come to fruition anyway?

I don't see who we could possibly trade to get that high, and I don't know why we would even want to get that high unless it was for Parker or Wiggins.
    So, please dont take this as a backhanded or set up question. I am genuinely intrigued because I obviously see things differently.

The way I read your post here, it says to me that you know the thing, in all likelihood, is not even close to real or possible. Yet, you also say you enjoy it. Please explain this to me.

Again, I am being sincere. Hard to prove it in type, but I swear I am. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So we are just gonna ignore that this tweet came from somebody who has no track record in the NBA and that is beyond unlikely? This thread is just going to continue on until Thursday, with everyone getting their hopes up and then nothing close to this comes to fruition.

Then, Dell has a solid offseason, but doesn't pull a miracle out of thin air and folks are disappointed because they got all excited about rumors that couldn't possibly happen in any realistic world.

Ugh.
    This, the dude profile mention every sport but the NBA lol

Yeah I think the whole top 5 rumor is pretty ridiculous. I still think Monroe would be a great addition at the right price. I think Luol Deng would be a great pickup as well but its not going to happen unless we move Gordon. He just isn't the same player he was his first few years. The perfect world would have been to land a top 3 pick and draft Parker and then trade Gordon for Monroe. But perfect world hardly ever happens.

This isn't happening...He's just trying to generate more clicks. While it is entirely possible that we will be active in the draft and beyond, trading into the top 5 would require giving up way too much. We're not that far away from being a good team...we don't have to break the bank to get better.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    So we are just gonna ignore that this tweet came from somebody who has no track record in the NBA and that is beyond unlikely? This thread is just going to continue on until Thursday, with everyone getting their hopes up and then nothing close to this comes to fruition.

Then, Dell has a solid offseason, but doesn't pull a miracle out of thin air and folks are disappointed because they got all excited about rumors that couldn't possibly happen in any realistic world.

Ugh.
    Someone is. But at least I won't. I'll be Gucci if the draft happens and we don't make a single move. But true enough, someone will throw a fecal fit over it.

So, please dont take this as a backhanded or set up question. I am genuinely intrigued because I obviously see things differently.

The way I read your post here, it says to me that you know the thing, in all likelihood, is not even close to real or possible. Yet, you also say you enjoy it. Please explain this to me.

As someone in the same boat as UNO, Its just something to at least talk about during perhaps the worst part of the year sporting wise. That little bit of hope gets me through a long Football and Basketball offseason. Even if very little possibility of happening

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    well, the scenario at the end was hyperbole to a certain extent. I wouldn't really give that much unless it cleared all of their saleries too.

Imagine if we had all the money those guys cost and picked up FA's

jrue or tyreke
    jodie meeks
    gordon heywood or luol deng
    anthony davis
    Noah Vonleh
    I do totally get it, and I feel that way about certain players to the extent that I want to give out the farm to get them. I was half/joking in all honesty. I will say that a Tyreke/Meeks/Hayward backcourt is frighteningly awful on defense.

PelsFan I totally agree. If we get a top 5 we would have to give up way to much. I still say if they did that it would be like saying the trade for Jrue was a mistake.

I'll go on record as saying that I enjoy it, knowing that it's not realistic, just for the ideas and concepts that come out of the "rumor." It's sort of a slightly more realistic version of you and your buddy saying "What if the Thunder got Kevin Love? How cool would that be?"

Simply put, it's fun to imagine. And there's nothing else going on in basketball.

Why do people play the lottery? Is it because they know they are going to win?

Rumors are part of the fun this time of year. However, I have to admit, this one is so far out there, it is not even really worth listening to. I suspect the guy is just playing with people on twitter.

Don't all members of the media play with the people?

As far as Love and New Orleans, I just don't know how him and Davis would be together. The people on an ESPN article grilled me on this but I still think the best place for Lebron is New Orleans. I'm not starting rumor but I just think it would be incredible. I know everybody makes a big deal about small market teams, but I just think him and Davis together would just be fantastic. 2 of top 5 most efficient players in the league on one team could just be awesome and all of the other talent around them would be very young but have a lot of experience. Just my opinion.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Rumors are part of the fun this time of year. However, I have to admit, this one is so far out there, it is not even really worth listening to. I suspect the guy is just playing with people on twitter.
    Only truth you could maybe glean is we did some due diligence, test the waters for what we'd have to do to get Wiggins, Parker or Embiid.

Cursory at best.

Unless the Supervillain has something up his sleeve.

I'll go on record as saying that I enjoy it, knowing that it's not realistic, just for the ideas and concepts that come out of the "rumor." It's sort of a slightly more realistic version of you and your buddy saying "What if the Thunder got Kevin Love? How cool would that be?"

Simply put, it's fun to imagine. And there's nothing else going on in basketball.
    And you dont get disappointed when you start to talk so much about it that you think it is possible, and then it doesn't happen?

I just guess I see the downside as worse than the upside. At least with impossible rumors like this. I get the possible ones or even the not likely, but hopeful ones.

To me, discussing this is like discussing if some hockey writer tweeted he heard Gordon for Durant was a possibility this summer. It falls in a whole different category

The Franchise
    I love drafts so if we end up with a pick I'd be happy, but I'm not expecting much especially not close to 5. Even if we got a pick that high the players in that range are players at positions we have and are building around.

PelsFan I totally agree. If we get a top 5 we would have to give up way to much. I still say if they did that it would be like saying the trade for Jrue was a mistake.
    Yeah I can't imagine us being able to trade that high up without giving Jrue up. He is, at least in my opinion, our second most valuable asset, particularly when considering his contract.

As far as Love and New Orleans, I just don't know how him and Davis would be together. The people on an ESPN article grilled me on this but I still think the best place for Lebron is New Orleans. I'm not starting rumor but I just think it would be incredible. I know everybody makes a big deal about small market teams, but I just think him and Davis together would just be fantastic. 2 of top 5 most efficient players in the league on one team could just be awesome and all of the other talent around them would be very young but have a lot of experience. Just my opinion.
    I have a feeling I'm gonna get killed for this, because it's coming from nostalgia and maybe not common sense... but I would love to see Kobe take a 1 year flyer after next season and help us gun for a chip.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Don't all members of the media play with the people?
    They wouldn't if the people didn't allow it.

I hear people complain about ESPN all the time and how it is all about rumors, but that is what people want. I write an in depth piece evaluating on court basketball and it gets 1/6th the views as a rumor or speculation piece. The media only feeds the people what they want. I guess I just wished the people wanted other things.

I have a feeling I'm gonna get killed for this, because it's coming from nostalgia and maybe not common sense... but I would love to see Kobe take a 1 year flyer after next season and help us gun for a chip.
    You will only get killed because it is not possible, seeing that he just signed a 2 year extension.

Totally agree Michael its what most people want to hear is the rumors. But you do a great job of covering the Pels. Your work is greatly appreciated here bro.

Thread Information