Pelicans Report

Thread: What Does The Heat Cap Space Look Like?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

What Does The Heat Cap Space Look Like?

With the news of possible mutual interest between Kyle Lowry and the Heat, I'm now curious what their cap situation actually looks like, mostly about cap holds and all of that. If the "Big 3" opt out of their deals, does that mean the Heat will have no cap holds for those three guys? How much room will the Heat actually have this offseason?

They can have up to 61 million if everybody opts out and they renounce all cap holds. But if they do that, they can't use Bird Rights to go over the cap. So, to sign Lowry and the Big 3 and fill out the roster, Lowry and the Big 3 would have to settle for a combined 56 million or so. About 14 million a piece. Basically, the Big 3 would all have to take 7-8 mil less than if they just opted in.
    @mcnamara247

I'll say this. If after this finals, Dwayne Wade opts of of his 2 20 million dollar deals and takes less (like 12 a year). God bless his soul for being so giving. There's no way i'd give up 16 million after that showing.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I think more likely they give him more guaranteed over more years. They tell him, "Opt out of 2 for 40 and we will give you 4 for 50-55.

He gets more money and they get cap room, though they will pay for it on the back end.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think more likely they give him more guaranteed over more years. They tell him, "Opt out of 2 for 40 and we will give you 4 for 50-55.

He gets more money and they get cap room, though they will pay for it on the back end.
    Dunno if that sells Lebron to be honest. Plus Wade may only see 2 more years in his future. A lot of i don't knows in this whole equation. It'll be interesting to watch.

And if you are Wade and know you only have two good years left, its a good deal for you to take the extra 10-15 mil, since you will be a shell of yourself in year 3 and 4 and couldn't get that money then.

Bosh said he would take a discount, so something similar maybe. Then, Lebron says -Okay, I will give you two years to prove yourself. 2 yrs/28 million. You got the big 3 locked in for around 40 million at that point. Plus Cole. You blackmail Haslem to opt out and you got about 16 mil to fill out your roster plus a room exception. That can get you one great piece or two really good pieces and a solid piece or 4-5 solid pieces.

That would be my prediction of how it goes down.

And if you are Wade and know you only have two good years left, its a good deal for you to take the extra 10-15 mil, since you will be a shell of yourself in year 3 and 4 and couldn't get that money then.

Bosh said he would take a discount, so something similar maybe. Then, Lebron says -Okay, I will give you two years to prove yourself. 2 yrs/28 million. You got the big 3 locked in for around 40 million at that point. Plus Cole. You blackmail Haslem to opt out and you got about 16 mil to fill out your roster plus a room exception. That can get you one great piece or two really good pieces and a solid piece or 4-5 solid pieces.

That would be my prediction of how it goes down.

My prediction - LBJ, tired of carrying the pressure of being with the big 3, goes to a young Cavs team to help develop them and win a ship

End of year 1 roster:

PG - Irving
    SG - Waiters
    SF - Bron
    PF - Bennett, stretch 4
    C - Embiid

6th man - varejao

Lebron aint going to Cleveland if they keep the pick. He isn't going to wait the 4-6 years for Embiid to become a guy who can be a key part of a champion.

Now, if they trade the pick for Love and land Marc Jackson, it is possible. But Lebron isn't going to leave and go wait somewhere for young guys to develop while he is in his prime.

Yeah I think LeBron goes no where. If there's changes to the Big 3 it's Wade and/or Bosh and I highly doubt that happens. They'll retool be favorites in the East again and they'll face whoever comes out the West. Hopefully for them it's not the Spurs again.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Yeah I think LeBron goes no where. If there's changes to the Big 3 it's Wade and/or Bosh and I highly doubt that happens. They'll retool be favorites in the East again and they'll face whoever comes out the West. Hopefully for them it's not the Spurs again.
    I agree. I am of the mind that they beat anybody else in the West. Since the East is so terrible, that still makes you the title favorites going into next year because you are essentially guaranteed a Finals birth, while the West is nasty.

Only in sports is the 2nd best franchise in the entire world considered a failure and in need of major overhauls. The Spurs were 2nd last year and didn't change much, and their main core was older. No need to overreact. A couple tweaks here and there, some fuel to actually drive you next year as opposed to the last 2, and they can win it all again. He goes to Cleveland and he isn't winning it all next year. Goes almost anywhere else and he aint winning next year. Outside of 2008 Boston, every team has needed at least a year to gel. If Lebron wants a title next year, his best option is Miami

I agree. I am of the mind that they beat anybody else in the West. Since the East is so terrible, that still makes you the title favorites going into next year because you are essentially guaranteed a Finals birth, while the West is nasty.

Only in sports is the 2nd best franchise in the entire world considered a failure and in need of major overhauls. The Spurs were 2nd last year and didn't change much, and their main core was older. No need to overreact. A couple tweaks here and there, some fuel to actually drive you next year as opposed to the last 2, and they can win it all again. He goes to Cleveland and he isn't winning it all next year. Goes almost anywhere else and he aint winning next year. Outside of 2008 Boston, every team has needed at least a year to gel. If Lebron wants a title next year, his best option is Miami
    Maybe. However, I do not recall anyone on the Spurs looking as "done" as Wade does. Maybe Lebron can carry him, but Wade is almost becoming a non-factor in games.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Maybe. However, I do not recall anyone on the Spurs looking as "done" as Wade does. Maybe Lebron can carry him, but Wade is almost becoming a non-factor in games.
    Manu was worse last year than Wade was this year.

Manu was worse last year than Wade was this year.
    I'm not sure Ginobili means as much to the success of Spurs as Wade does to his team. The Spurs have more of a supporting cast than the Heat do IMO.

Do you think Diaw even considers heading to Miami say if they offer 1-2 million more per year?

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Do you think Diaw even considers heading to Miami say if they offer 1-2 million more per year?
    I would doubt it given his relationship with Parker.

I'm not sure Ginobili means as much to the success of Spurs as Wade does to his team. The Spurs have more of a supporting cast than the Heat do IMO.
    Splitter was also a no show in the Finals. Diaw didnt play anything like this. Mills wasnt a factor an Green got run off the line the last 3 games and did nothing.

They all improved and added parts to their game. There were really no additions and they went from a team on par with the Heat to a team 15 ppg better.

Splitter was also a no show in the Finals. Diaw didnt play anything like this. Mills wasnt a factor an Green got run off the line the last 3 games and did nothing.

They all improved and added parts to their game. There were really no additions and they went from a team on par with the Heat to a team 15 ppg better.
    Wade's game relies on athleticism. His knees are shot. I just do not see him turning it around. I think he has almost been diminished to a solid role player. With Lebron anything is possible. That coupled with a weak East will allow the Heat a pretty easy road to the playoffs and a not so tough road to the finals. I don't think they are a lock to beat any other team in the West though without some improvement.

Wade's game relies on athleticism. His knees are shot. I just do not see him turning it around. I think he has almost been diminished to a solid role player. With Lebron anything is possible. That coupled with a weak East will allow the Heat a pretty easy road to the playoffs and a not so tough road to the finals. I don't think they are a lock to beat any other team in the West though without some improvement.
    His numbers this season and in every series prior to the Spurs were great. So either his knees just went out in that series or, like Manu and several others, he just had a terrible series and the writing is not on the wall just yet.

His numbers this season and in every series prior to the Spurs were great. So either his knees just went out in that series or, like Manu and several others, he just had a terrible series and the writing is not on the wall just yet.
    His numbers were down this year and he missed nearly 30 games. Regardless of the stats, you can see watching him play that his body just does not let him do what he used to be able to do. If his game were based on shooting (like a Peja or to some extent Manu), it may not be as big an issue. However, his body takes a beating with his style of play. He could make a miraculous recovery, but IMO, he is definitely declining.

He is declining, but him on a decline was still arguably one of the top 3 players in the series vs. Indy and Brooklyn.

I see Wade and Bosh both taking longer deals knowing their skills are deteriorating.
    Both will be signing 4 year deal around 60 million with the absolute minimum in the first year payment which is 12-13 million.
    I think they do this with or without a longterm commitment from Lebron, which I doubt he'll give so I think he'll just opt in and see what Miami can retool around him. Or opt out an negotiate a one year deal for less than 20 million to allow heat flexibility maybe?
    The Heat can move Cole and even Haslem if they they package the first.

So clearing the books of everybody but Wade (12) Bosh (12) and James (20) leaves + 9 roster charges (5)

19 million in cap space.
    they could easily split that between two maybe even three solid FA if they give vets longterm deals with increasing salaries.

So if they land two or three of Lowry, Gortat, Deng, Isaih Thomas, Trevor Ariza is probably the best thing from a winning standpoint. You know or they definitely can sign Melo.

Lebron aint going to Cleveland if they keep the pick. He isn't going to wait the 4-6 years for Embiid to become a guy who can be a key part of a champion.

Now, if they trade the pick for Love and land Marc Jackson, it is possible. But Lebron isn't going to leave and go wait somewhere for young guys to develop while he is in his prime.
    You're slippin, son

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Just speculation

Thread Information