Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson for Monroe ?

Anderson for Monroe ?

I've always liked Monroe I hope we pull this off somehow, not saying for Anderson specifically but I hope we get Monroe
    Last edited by MistaWhoDat; 06-16-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: cuz

I don't know if Dell/Monty thinks Babbit could fill the "stretch 4" spot if they trade Ryno, but this is interesting if true.

Stretch 4 is really a luxury to have, not a necessity. A big guy like Monroe at C is a necessity so that's why I'd do the trade.

Just saw this today it has been confirmed that we called and asked about Monroe, doesn't mention anything further. the article also says that Monroe wants a Max contract wherever he goes, so you can count me out of the Monroe to the Pels fan club. Here is the link to the article:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...medium=twitter

I believe I would make the trade I know Ryno is a fav around here but Monroe would be worth it plus he's a hometown guy .

What needs to be established before the debate is had is the one unknown: Monroe's price tag.

Max contract will be around 4 yrs/68 million.

If the trade means giving Monroe that, I would be against it. If he takes a discount, say 4/50-52, then we can talk. But the contract has to be known before we can have a legit debate about this.
    @mcnamara247

This has been talked about for awhile, I just dont see it happening, but I wouldn't be upset if it did
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    This has been talked about for awhile, I just dont see it happening, but I wouldn't be upset if it did
    If Monroe is making 16+ mil a season, I would be. You can argue he is better than Ryno. You cant argue he is twice as good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    What needs to be established before the debate is had is the one unknown: Monroe's price tag.

If the trade means giving Monroe that, I would be against it. If he takes a discount, say 4/50-52, then we can talk. But the contract has to be known before we can have a legit debate about this.
    do you think someone would actually give monroe would get 4yr/68mil? I would agree I wouldn't want that price tag

Why can't guys after watching SA just want to be apart of something bigger for us

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Why can't guys after watching SA just want to be apart of something bigger for us
    hey Morrow is thinking about opting in, that's something right?...right?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I'm all for it assuming that ItsRynosTime is part of the deal

do you think someone would actually give monroe would get 4yr/68mil? I would agree I wouldn't want that price tag
    He will ask for it, and you look at all the teams with cap room and the lack of quality FA's and I can definitely see it. He turned down a 4 yr/50 mil extension, so I just dont think he comes at what his true value is. This is the key to the whole debate - the price tag.

People cant just say that they would prefer Monroe over Ryno. It's - Monroe vs. Ryno and another 7-8 million dollar player.

hey Morrow is thinking about opting in, that's something right?...right?
    Ugh! lol

They will once we get good.

Always been my argument with Dell's plan. You get the foundation set, get better quicker, and then guys want to be a part of it at a discount and/or your draft picks hit more often because they are asked to do less. 2-3 years from now, we will get discount guys, maybe even some of our own resigning at a discount just to play with AD

Serious question... Is Greg Monroe worth max money? I've only seen a few Detroit games and those were the ones they played against N.O.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Serious question... Is Greg Monroe worth max money? I've only seen a few Detroit games and those were the ones they played against N.O.
    Not really. But probably 3/4 of the guys with maxes don't deserve them.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I really like Monroe. But for a max deal? Uh uh. No thank you. Hopefully no one in the league is reckless enough to give him that much money so we can get him at market value.

He will ask for it, and you look at all the teams with cap room and the lack of quality FA's and I can definitely see it. He turned down a 4 yr/50 mil extension, so I just dont think he comes at what his true value is. This is the key to the whole debate - the price tag.

People cant just say that they would prefer Monroe over Ryno. It's - Monroe vs. Ryno and another 7-8 million dollar player.
    I didn't know he turned that down already, I honestly wouldn't go more than a couple mil more than 50mil/4yr so if he already turned that down I'm much more hesitant

Not really. But probably 3/4 of the guys with maxes don't deserve them.
    +1

Agree. Looking at how the Spurs won, they first won on the contract end of things. Not a single core player made more than $10.3 mil a season. While we don't have the luxury of a winning culture like the Spurs do, we do have a few nice pieces on amazing contracts (Jrue, Ryno, AD). % wise, I wouldn't want Monroe taking more than Jrue or Ryno, but I doubt that is possible, so the next best thing we could ask for is for him to take a contract comparable to what players of his caliber are getting, and not a cent more. He isn't a max player, so we shouldn't have to pay him like one.

I would give him $10-$10.5 mil, but that's about it.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

He is a limited offensive player than really doesnt improve the defense when you compare him to Ryno. I still have not heard a decent argument as to how he makes this team better than Ryno would. But even if I said that he was a 10% upgrade, you dont do a 10% upgrade for 190% the salary.

I mean, he would be making 5 million more than Jrue and Tyreke, who would be the 2nd and 3rd options in that core 4. Monroe would be our 4th best player, making 5 mil more than Jrue and Tyreke and 10 mil more than AD. No thanks. If he wants to take a hometown discount, then I could go along with it. But I cant possibly see the argument if it takes a max contract or something close to get him.

They will once we get good.

Always been my argument with Dell's plan. You get the foundation set, get better quicker, and then guys want to be a part of it at a discount and/or your draft picks hit more often because they are asked to do less. 2-3 years from now, we will get discount guys, maybe even some of our own resigning at a discount just to play with AD
    Where's is the history for this plan? This has been my issue with the concept that player X will just attract other players at a discount to boot. What history has shown us is that player X is far more likely to go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would give him $10-$10.5 mil, but that's about it.
    Bingo. I would be happy to get him if:

1) He signs a deal no greater than 11 mill/yr

or...

2) We can somehow flip Gordon's junky contract for GM, and keep Ryno.

Thread Information