Pelicans Report

Thread: 14' Spurs vs 86' Celtics

Question 14' Spurs vs 86' Celtics

In terms of Passing which one is better

Passing - Spurs
    But overall offense - Boston
    @mcnamara247

Looking up some stats, and jeez, teams in the 80s played at a ridiculous pace. The slowest team during that 86' season would have been practically tied for fourth fastest this season.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    This is no contest.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    The Spurs make the right play, usually at the right time and they KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). But, they shouldn't be put up on a historical pedestal because the 2014 NBA has a bunch of offensively gifted teams that do ridiculous things a lot. (I'm looking at you OKC) The Spurs are good, maybe even great, but they have maybe 1 sublime passer. The 86' Celtics had about 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    The Spurs make the right play, usually at the right time and they KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). But, they shouldn't be put up on a historical pedestal because the 2014 NBA has a bunch of offensively gifted teams that do ridiculous things a lot. (I'm looking at you OKC) The Spurs are good, maybe even great, but they have maybe 1 sublime passer. The 86' Celtics had about 3 or 4.
    I think each of Diaw and Ginobli have pretty unique vision and can be put up there as absolutely fantastic passers tho they can both be erratic
    never assume

If you think the 14 Spurs were a better passing team than the 86 Celtics; you either have no clue about basketball or you didn't watch the 86 Celtics play.

I'd say Manu is the most unique playmaker of this generation. Manu has been making those crazy passes, the ones that get Lebron on highlight reels when he does them, for a little over a decade now, but you'd never know because of his lack of recognition. Tim Duncan is probably in the top 5 passing big men ever? Even still, counting his outlet passes, he hasn't aged much in that regard. The Spurs' inbounds versatility and passing is unique too. Any of their 5 players on the court at any given time can deliver the inbound pass. It isn't exactly ludicrous to put this team in the same sentence as the 86' Celtics.

saw this today (just a manu highlight video but jeez some of those passes) and wanted to post it. Obviously the old all time great teams set the bar to say that bar can't be reached, equaled, or raised is ridiculous, idk about best passing team of all time but you have to respect the way the spurs played this year, not just in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    I'd say Manu is the most unique playmaker of this generation. Manu has been making those crazy passes, the ones that get Lebron on highlight reels when he does them, for a little over a decade now, but you'd never know because of his lack of recognition. Tim Duncan is probably in the top 5 passing big men ever? Even still, counting his outlet passes, he hasn't aged much in that regard. The Spurs' inbounds versatility and passing is unique too. Any of their 5 players on the court at any given time can deliver the inbound pass. It isn't exactly ludicrous to put this team in the same sentence as the 86' Celtics.
    Not ludicrous at all, but not the 86 Celts. No way. I watched that team play alot of games. They were the best!

Thread Information