Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Want Pick

I think Dell has several names depending on the range he can get into, but most of those names are SF's.

There just isn't much center talent in this draft. At least not guys who project to be that much better than Withey or Ajinca that you go all out to go get them. Nurkic is the only one IMO. Has the potential to be like Pekovic.
    @mcnamara247

Question I have is why exactly would Dell want to get into this draft? Does the FA class have nobody of interest, or maybe he's starting to feel pressure from up top? There was an article about ownership preferring Monty over Dell a couple of weeks back. If you were feeling heat wouldn't you want to bet on a known commodity instead of a mid to late 1st? Very doubtful that has anything to do with this but I'm curious. This could just be another pre draft rumor that never comes true. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thisisnola View Post
    Question I have is why exactly would Dell want to get into this draft? Does the FA class have nobody of interest, or maybe he's starting to feel pressure from up top? There was an article about ownership preferring Monty over Dell a couple of weeks back. If you were feeling heat wouldn't you want to bet on a known commodity instead of a mid to late 1st? Very doubtful that has anything to do with this but I'm curious. This could just be another pre draft rumor that never comes true. Thoughts?

Due diligence.

If you can get better value through the draft than you could through FA you do it. No reason to turn a blind eye on either one. Dell definitely seems to cover all the bases. He has prospects in Europe, he has players he's valued at this draft, and free agents he wants to pursue.

Think of it this way, if Player X is perceived to go around 21st in the draft and you rate him as a 90, you measure what it takes to get him. if it looks like you could get him for less than what he'd give you, you go for it. I feel like at this point we'd be after either stashes or mid-level immediate contributors with lower ceilings. JaVale McGee, Robin Lopez, and Roy Hibbert were all projected to go around the same spot. The suns chose Lopez because although he had a lower celing, he wouldn't take the time to develop and could contribute right away since they were psuedo contenders at the time and I think it turned out to be the right move. I haven't studied this class much since we didn't have a pick. I really like KJ McDaniels but I think he's projected to go higher than we'd be able to give up reasonably to acquire him.

I'll have to start watching some Draftexpress videos today to see who I like.

Viva Demps!
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Due diligence.

If you can get better value through the draft than you could through FA you do it. No reason to turn a blind eye on either one. Dell definitely seems to cover all the bases. He has prospects in Europe, he has players he's valued at this draft, and free agents he wants to pursue.

Think of it this way, if Player X is perceived to go around 21st in the draft and you rate him as a 90, you measure what it takes to get him. if it looks like you could get him for less than what he'd give you, you go for it. I feel like at this point we'd be after either stashes or mid-level immediate contributors with lower ceilings. JaVale McGee, Robin Lopez, and Roy Hibbert were all projected to go around the same spot. The suns chose Lopez because although he had a lower celing, he wouldn't take the time to develop and could contribute right away since they were psuedo contenders at the time and I think it turned out to be the right move. I haven't studied this class much since we didn't have a pick. I really like KJ McDaniels but I think he's projected to go higher than we'd be able to give up reasonably to acquire him.

I'll have to start watching some Draftexpress videos today to see who I like.

Viva Demps!
    Thanks well done explanation. That's why I've liked Dell as GM always looking steps ahead.

Question I have is why exactly would Dell want to get into this draft?
    Because everyone is trying to trade out of it which lowers the value of the picks. One of the rumors I've seen is Gordon plus future pick for 2014 pick. People may have cooled on this draft but it still sounds like a mid teen pick is a C asset. If people are looking at it as a C minus and think our 2015 pick could be a B minus asset when both picks in question are actually Cs, you swap picks to dump Gordon before they have time to reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Because everyone is trying to trade out of it which lowers the value of the picks. One of the rumors I've seen is Gordon plus future pick for 2014 pick. People may have cooled on this draft but it still sounds like a mid teen pick is a C asset. If people are looking at it as a C minus and think our 2015 pick could be a B minus asset when both picks in question are actually Cs, you swap picks to dump Gordon before they have time to reconsider.
    Great post. If u can get a good player for less than he should cost its a good move, kyle anderson from ucla is a heck of a player, hes a lot like saric, both are basically point forwards who can also shoot the 3. Tj warren is another guy who has a huge ceiling
    . Also if it means getting rid of gordon I dont even care about the draft pick.

This draft is so deep you can probably get a really really good player in the mid 20's without any red flags.

Saric!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This draft is so deep you can probably get a really really good player in the mid 20's without any red flags.
    Agreed. You have people like tj warren, gr3, cleanthony early, nurkic, grant, cj fair.

Cleanthony Early please.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

If we can somehow walk away with Zach Levine and Patric Young im jumping for tears of joy... Their energy and aggression is exactly what this team lacks.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    If we can somehow walk away with Zach Levine and Patric Young im jumping for tears of joy... Their energy and aggression is exactly what this team lacks.
    Unfortunately lavine will go top 8 because of his height, athleticism and jump shot. Everyones saying he is the next Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Cleanthony Early please.
    I like him a lot too. He is very quick and athletic and is a great off ball scorer, would fit nicely. Same for tj warren

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I like him a lot too. He is very quick and athletic and is a great off ball scorer, would fit nicely. Same for tj warren
    Yeah his biggest weakness is his inability to create his own offense which is related to his below average handling. I think with the players we have around him, those weaknesses won't be as crippling, meaning he would have plenty of time to work on those things as he matures. His shooting, which used to be a giant negative, seems to be coming around nicely...like that he's good in both spot up situations and coming off screens. Athleticism is obviously his biggest plus, makes up for his average wingspan imo.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 06-14-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Yeah his biggest weakness is his inability to create his own offense which is related to his below average handling. I think with the players we have around him, those weaknesses won't be as crippling, meaning he would have plenty of time to work on those things as he matures. His shooting, which used to be a giant negative, seems to be coming around nicely...like that he's good on both spot up situations and coming off screens. Athleticism is obviously his biggest plus, makes up for his average wingspan imo.
    Ya he has an amazing jump shot and is lightning quick on defense, he would fit in perfectly.

Saric is very intriguing on the offensive end. Wish he was a more consistent shooter though.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm not sure what people mean when they say "get their own shot" any more. Because TJ Warren absolutely does not need an assist to score. For me, all his weaknesses are that he isn't a really gifted athlete, which really isn't actually a weakness, but whatever. Got a lot of skills and can score with just about anyone.

How far would McDermott have to fall before you seriously consider trading up to get him? I think he is exactly what what we need. He is an amazing off ball scorer who spaces the floor like no one else in this draft. He is incredibly intelligent and knows exactly where to be on offense and defense. I think if he drops past 15 we should make a really hard push to go get him

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    How far would McDermott have to fall before you seriously consider trading up to get him? I think he is exactly what what we need. He is an amazing off ball scorer who spaces the floor like no one else in this draft. He is incredibly intelligent and knows exactly where to be on offense and defense. I think if he drops past 15 we should make a really hard push to go get him
    The real question is would he be able to defend at an acceptable level? I think he can add plenty of firepower on offense, but I'm not sure he has the physical tools to compete on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Agreed. You have people like tj warren, gr3, cleanthony early, nurkic, grant, cj fair.
    I see guys like Clint Cappela, KJ McDaniels and Rodney Hood as options in the mid to late 20's

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    The real question is would he be able to defend at an acceptable level? I think he can add plenty of firepower on offense, but I'm not sure he has the physical tools to compete on defense.
    That's definitely the biggest concern with him. I wouldn't be too worried about it on the Pels though. He plays well within the scheme, knows where to be, and tries hard which is at least half of defense anyway. We also have Jrue and Reke who are perfectly capable of matching up against the two most competent backcourt players on the other team and we could just hide Doug on the least threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I see guys like Clint Cappela, KJ McDaniels and Rodney Hood as options in the mid to late 20's
    You think Hood will last that long? I highly doubt it. If so, I would hope we get a pick and snag him.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    You think Hood will last that long? I highly doubt it. If so, I would hope we get a pick and snag him.
    It's really hard to say. You look at some mocks he's going that low you look at others he's in the mid to late teens. It hard to say what will happen come draft day. However I certainly won't be shocked if at pick 23-27 he's still on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Something like this makes sense:

Birdman and 26 for Pierre and Ely

Heat clear salary, as Birdman and 26 would cost them close to 3 mil and Pierre would cost just around 550K (they would cut Ely at no cost)

Meanwhile, Pels dont have to use any or exceptions to make this deal. Grab a guy you like at 26 and either flip Anderson or keep him. Still could go get two guys if you execute S&T and also use MLE
    I love this trade idea. Birdman is 36 but he's played really well the last few years. The 26 is the perfect range for a guy like Ingles.

Where is A. Gordon projected to go? He might be a target

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information