Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mutual interest between Pels and Blatche

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    And just think of the possibility next season when we get rid of Gordon
    In this scenario, though, we wouldnt have much cap room if Gordon opted out. We would be like 8 mil over the cap, so if he opted out, you are only looking at 7 mil in room. Would actually be better for him to opt in at that point and use his expiring contract to go after someone
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Well, they are going to have to execute a S&T or two to have a good offseason if they cant move Gordon. Hope someone out there talks themselves into the "Aminu's still young," philosophy or see Roberts stats w/o the context.
    If Blatche tells Brooklyn I'm leaving and wants to go to Nola, what option does the Nets really have?

How much would it cost (contract) to get Blatche?

If Blatche tells Brooklyn I'm leaving and wants to go to Nola, what option does the Nets really have?
    Not much, and I dont think they really want him back that badly since they have Plumlee and Lopez. No need to pay a 3rd stringer 4-5 mil. I think it would be in their best interest to grab Aminu or Roberts and keep their exception.

The bigger issue would be if another team outbids us either with money or S&T pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    How much would it cost (contract) to get Blatche?
    My guess has always been between 4 and 5 mil a yr for 2-4 years.

Not much, and I dont think they really want him back that badly since they have Plumlee and Lopez. No need to pay a 3rd stringer 4-5 mil. I think it would be in their best interest to grab Aminu or Roberts and keep their exception.

The bigger issue would be if another team outbids us either with money or S&T pieces.
    Yes but how many teams will give him a starting gig?
    I can't think of a better team and opportunity other than the Pels.

Do Aminu and Roberts have to agree to?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Yesss...

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Ideal situation here is that Nets have interest in Aminu, Smith, and/or Roberts. They do a S&T with us and we get to keep our MLE.

Works for Nets because they get something for Blatche and get to keep their exception. Even if they only want Roberts, we can sign and trade them Roberts and Melvin Ely for Blatche. They can cut Ely with no penalty and keep Roberts and still have their exception. We would still have our MLE and biannual too in that situation.

Anyway, as I keep saying, we need one team to work with us and do a S&T to get both our SF and our C if we cant move Gordon
    Thanks for the post, what is a biannual exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Thanks for the post, what is a biannual exactly?
    biannual is an exception at ~2mil a year for 2 years

... i think
    never assume

Do Aminu and Roberts have to agree to?
    Of course. They are free agents

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    biannual is an exception at ~2mil a year for 2 years

... i think
    Stars at 2.1 and it can be up to 2 years.

I think Pels could go to him and offer both years, with the 2nd being a player option. That way, if he stinks or gets hurt, he can still get 4.3 million total. But if he plays well, he can opt out and we would have Early Bird Rights with him next summer, allowing us to pay him up to 6 mil per.

If we manage to sign Blatche and Tucker (almost positive Gordon can't be moved) it would be a very solid offseason.

Jrue/Rivers/Jackson
    Gordon/Reke/Rivers
    Tucker/Miller
    Davis/Ryno/Smith
    Blatche/Ajinca/Withey

Wouldn't be too shabby

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    After the last season he had, Reke has to be in the starting lineup. With him, it seems to actually matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    If we manage to sign Blatche and Tucker (almost positive Gordon can't be moved) it would be a very solid offseason.

Jrue/Rivers/Jackson
    Gordon/Reke/Rivers
    Tucker/Miller
    Davis/Ryno/Smith
    Blatche/Ajinca/Withey

Wouldn't be too shabby
    Add Morrow and 2nd round pick and that team is top 6

I really like this move. Finally we'd have someone that can defend big boys and dunk in the traffic like a man. Playoffs here we come.

Guy's pretty light on his feet too. Here he is against deanre. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULAEdL7tcH8
    Last edited by Writhe; 06-13-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post

Jrue/Rivers/Jackson
    Gordon/Reke/Rivers
    Tucker/Miller
    Davis/Ryno/Smith
    Blatche/Ajinca/Withey

Wouldn't be too shabby
    i'd swap reke and gordon

Do you guys think we can play 3 big men at the same time against certain lineups?

Jrue, EG, AD, Ryno, Blatche could do some work against teams with big SFs because of AD's ability to guard the perimeter

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    i'd swap reke and gordon
    Same. If gordon gets upset he can pout on the bench or be told to stay home.

I'm at that point with the guy and his delusional and entitled attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    Do you guys think we can play 3 big men at the same time against certain lineups?

Jrue, EG, AD, Ryno, Blatche could do some work against teams with big SFs because of AD's ability to guard the perimeter
    I think that would a very smart move under the right circumstances, I just don't know if Monty will ever learn to be that flexible. He seems to set his rotations and lineups early in the season and then stick with them no matter how the circumstances of the game change or the matchups he's facing. He's very much like Scott Brooks in that regard and it's one of the things I dislike about his coaching.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 06-13-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I think that would a very smart move under the right circumstances, I just don't know if Monty will ever learn to be that flexible. He seems to set his rotations and lineups early in the season and then stick with them no matter how the circumstances of the game change or the matchups he's facing. He's very much like Scott Brooks in that regard and it's one of the things I dislike about his coaching.
    You mean when he started Reke instead of bringing him off the bench halfway through the season?

Yea, I guess he's just scared that there will be a lot of defenses lapses if new guys are brought into a system, but i think those 3 bigs playing would allow us to play small and big at times similar to what the spurs do with boris diaw.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    You mean when he started Reke instead of bringing him off the bench halfway through the season?
    Or when he played Aminu at PF and center. Or tried four guard lineups.

I understand that this is the popular narrative, but as somebody who has gone back and studied the season as a whole, this couldnt be more false. Covering the Glory Days series, I have seen Monty start Morrow at SF in place of Aminu and have seen Smith, Anderson, and Ajinca all get starts next to AD - and this is only over a 13 game span.

I have seen Rivers and Roberts flip flop roles, with one getting all the backup minutes one night and the other the next night depending on the matchup. Later in the season, we saw AD start at the 4 next to Stiemsma and Ajinca and at the 5 next to Babbitt against the Heat. He tried Evans at the 1, 2, and the 3.

A lot of the narratives about Monty were built at the end of the year when we were all frustrated, but when you go back to the beginning when he had a full roster, you see that these things simply arent true. Heck, I am putting up an article tomorrow in the Glory Days series against the Kings and the two most effective lineups according to +/- featured three guard lineups of Jrue, Tyreke, and Brian Roberts.

Would love Blatche. Would be a terrific fit next to AD and Anderson in 20-25 minutes. Versatile offensive game, has more post offense than almost every option available to us, has some "whoa!" moments where he flashes skills that you don't expect in terms of handles and passing, can handle big players defensively and moves his feet well, from what I've seen he's lost a lot of his early career knucklehead tendencies.

Thread Information