Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 16 Teams Have Called About Trading For K.Love

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Seems like a very small sample size. I've seen Durant defend well for large portions of games. He may have gotten burned by a pg a couple of times in a (meaningless) game, but I've also see Tony Parker blow by Lebron. Let's also not forget that Durant is 7' tall and defending perimeter players.. again, I'm not sure why people get upset (or seem appauled) when you call Love a star but just not a superstar. Let's play this game that Durant is a horrible defender and take him out of the superstar bracket despite a MVP), it still doesn't elevate Kevin Love into Superstar status.
    I think you misread my post. Like I said only one player is elite on offense and defense. If we are going to use defense as measuring Superstars then there is only one. I'm fine with that being the case.

But if we are going to include Durant as a Superstar even if he is bad on defense then Love should be included too. Durant measured 6'10.25" w/ shoes. 7' has never been confirmed. But let's go down the path he is 7'. Why is he asked to guard perimeter players? Because he is too light to guard guys traditionally his size. He's got the strength of a PG but the height of a C. He can use his length some on defense but I've seen nothing that shows he is any better than Love on defense. Heck at least Love gives you so many rebounds to make up for a weakness on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think you misread my post. Like I said only one player is elite on offense and defense. If we are going to use defense as measuring Superstars then there is only one. I'm fine with that being the case.

But if we are going to include Durant as a Superstar even if he is bad on defense then Love should be included too. Durant measured 6'10.25" w/ shoes. 7' has never been confirmed. But let's go down the path he is 7'. Why is he asked to guard perimeter players? Because he is too light to guard guys traditionally his size. He's got the strength of a PG but the height of a C. He can use his length some on defense but I've seen nothing that shows he is any better than Love on defense. Heck at least Love gives you so many rebounds to make up for a weakness on defense.
    I think we both did not read each other's post . I never said a superstar had to be alite on both offenseAND defense. I said they needed to be elite on one of them and not have a serious flaw on the other. I also disagree that durant is a "bad" defender. I don't think he's elite or even greta, but i do think he's a good defender. I also said oif we play the game that Durant is a bad defender, all it does is lower him out of the superstar stats, not elevate Love into it. I think that sums it up sir.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Durant is a good man defender and forces his mark into bad decisions. He has really improved at this lately. His help defense is inconsistent.

Interesting topic though. You're so far on the side of Love it mades me interpret this post as you thinking Love is as good of a player or better than Durant. Is that true?? I don't think anyone would take Love over Durant in a game to win now or to build a franchise on, but I could be wrong.

no. Those aren't serious flaws. Most of those are mental mistakes over the course of the game. Missing rotations? Defending the post against 3 guys who don't play in his conference? Shooting too many jumpers which he hits at a really good rate? Those things to me are nitpicks, not serious flaws. If Durant did those thigns better he would be BETTER than Lebron and be the best player in the game.

Again, if tearing down Durant is the strategy here, it STILL does not elevate Love to superstar status.
    Tearing Durant isn't the strategy -- I was just trying to de-construct your definition in order to understand it.

Also, those aren't just mental mistakes over the course of a couple of games in an 82-game season. Those are mental mistakes over the course of games over the course of an 82-game season.

And yes, defending the post is supposed to be an important part of KD's arsenal of non-flaws since he plays as a stretch PF in OKC's quirky two-guard small ball lineups. (Yes, yes it can be said that the other player has to defend KD on the other end too but cross matching fixes that e.g. put the 2nd big on Thabo or Lamb or someone. Can't fix post defense with cross matching).

The jumpers are just nitpicking, sure. But his post defense and his team defense isn't what I'd call a "minor" flaw.

LBJ is the only guy who plays what he's supposed to play well. So by your definition of having no "serious" flaw, LBJ is practically the only real superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoewan View Post
    I am tired of hearing this excuse. If everything has to be subjective, what is the point of us discussing?

The main point about debating is to come to a unified front (or at least close to it). We aren't debating for the purpose of debating. That would be pointless. That would be like fighting a war just for the war. We are debating because we are trying to come up with universally accepted statement/s. Whether this/these statement/s are fact is beyond our concern.

One giant misconception people have about "statistics" is that they think you can use numbers to tell whatever story you want. The moment you do that is the moment you've misused it.

This is one example.

The answer should never come up before the question. It's a flawed logical reasoning. There's a reason why scientific inquisition starts with asking a question. Your inquisition should never start with the conclusion or a hypothesis like "Love is not a superstar". In this case it should be "What is a superstar?" (However superfluous and shallow this question is).

And can I just say I am tired of reading people using that excuse ("no one stat/combo of stat tells the whole story"). It's lazy. If you don't understand these statistics, just say it. OF COURSE IT DOESN'T TELL THE WHOLE STORY. MUCH IN THE SAME WAY THAT YOUR EYE TEST DOESN'T TELL THE WHOLE STORY TOO. Most of the good writers/observers/fans never end with "Here is stat A, B, C. Here is my take away from that."

IT'S BEEN SAID OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. This is NOT "Analytics" versus "Eye Test". It is "Analytics AND Eye Test".

If you still think everything is subjective, then I'm going to say JR Smith is the F***ing best player to ever play in the NBA and none of you can't say anything about it. It's my opinion so state yours and leave me be.

That isn't the case (both for basketball being subjective and JR Smith being the GOAT). So let's open the floor once again:

What helps you define a superstar? A specific benchmark (PER? WS? WP?), a specific characteristic? (he can play offense and defense well or maybe he can take over games), what about intangible features like "leadership" or "makes his teammates better"?

Something. Anything.

A lot of the trolling that happens here in PR (and I've eaten a lot of imaginary popcorns just rummaging through threads that devolved into meaningless banter) happen because few are willing to enter into a mutually open discourse on topics. I am inviting it. So please none of these statements without explanation. Give your statement then give a logical and coherent explanation.

Note: I am sorry if it sounds rude, off-putting and high almighty. I'm not! I'm a pretty nice person hahaha. I just hate it when topics that are so ripe for discussion turns into nothing. I am not trying to act like a know-it-all. I just want to have an intellectual discourse. I can be swayed with a nice, reasonable opinion. But it has to be reasonable and well thought out. Thanks!
    I hope you see the flaw in this comment alone. Subjectivity is the only thing that can spark a discussion. For example if 2+2=4. There is nothing subjective about that therefore there is no reason to ever debate math. Pluto is not a planet. There are strict guidelines on what makes a celestial body a planet therefore there's no debating Pluto doesn't meet those requirements therefore Pluto is not a planet. You see science seeks to remove all doubt therefore making things non subjective. However some things will always remain subjective. Art being one of those things. The entire world may think Mona Lisa is great work and it's still subjective. You can apply all the stats and scientific approach, but you can't form an equation that removes the subjectivity out of sports.

Using my 6 seasons 0 playoffs appearances stat. Would Durant have such a blemish on is record if not for having Westbrook and Ibaka? How do we prove this? Would Love have at least one playoff appearance had he not gotten injured? These are things that can't just be factor into some stat or equation.

Sorry you are frustrated with the truth, but no one stat or combo of stats can tell you everything about a players impact. It's not lazy it's simply the truth and a quest to find such a stat/s is futile at best. What you don't see in that statement is that stats are useless or that advance stats don't give us a better understanding of things that where completely left to the eye test before them.

For example I called Lance Stephens a ball dominate guard. Zach Lowe wrote an article talking about Lance having a low usage rate. However usage rates don't calculate how much time a player spends with the ball in his hand therefore usage rates isn't a great way to determine ball domination unless that ball domination leads directly to a stat that is kept ie assist, shot attempts, turnovers. So if a player gets a "hockey assist" that doesn't factor into usage. So a player in theory could have the ball in his hands 75% of the time on offense and still have a low usage rate if he's not logging conventional stats.

Now to answer your question farther. You grade players on a number of categories, Shooting, Ball-handling, Passing, Leadership, Defense, etc.(again this is a simplified version of categories) you rank each player based on these skill groups and you give them a grade. Stats factor in I wouldn't dare call a career 60% FT shooter a great FT shooter, I wouldn't dare call a guy with a negative assist to turnover ratio a great ball handler, and so on. What's the point of factoring in WS% if it is insanely high for a guy that has never been to the post season? There is a thing called "empty stats" and raw statically analyst can't account for these things. If a guy misses an easy uncontested layup and tips it back in twice before making it. The stat doesn't say missed easy shot therefore had to attempt that shot two more times. It shows as 2 missed 2 missed layup attempt one make and 2 offensives rebounds.

Interesting topic though. You're so far on the side of Love it mades me interpret this post as you thinking Love is as good of a player or better than Durant. Is that true?? I don't think anyone would take Love over Durant in a game to win now or to build a franchise on, but I could be wrong.
    I'm not so on the side of Love. I'm taking his argument up because people are trying to hang onto defense as the reason he isn't a Superstar and yet you yourself have claimed KD is a Superstar and I perceive his defense as bad as well.

My argument was never who I would take over who, it was that if one is a Superstar than the other should be as well.

You can spout opinion about Durant's defense all you want. I can too. Which is why I find this discussion so funny. One is slightly bad, the other is really bad.

Here's the simple truth about defense. They both allowed 0.84ppp against the person they were defending. Love is better in the Post and KD is better in spot up/iso (though both are good in iso). Love allowed a slightly higher FG% but his opponents were also shooting closer to the basket, which is why their ppp were the same.

There is no outstanding stat that shows KD is better than KL on defense and like I said KL gives you nearly double the rebounds while playing defense.

All this again points to the fact that anyone using the defensive argument against Love is also arguing against Durant because they are the same on that end.

To the side question of who I would take, I don't know. If Durant had any killer instinct in him it'd be a landslide in his favor. Sadly I'm worried he's too nice to be a number 1. These playoffs and the way Westbrook operated as the no.1 and Durant just let him really bothers me for the type of player he is.

Tearing Durant isn't the strategy -- I was just trying to de-construct your definition in order to understand it.

Also, those aren't just mental mistakes over the course of a couple of games in an 82-game season. Those are mental mistakes over the course of games over the course of an 82-game season.

And yes, defending the post is supposed to be an important part of KD's arsenal of non-flaws since he plays as a stretch PF in OKC's quirky two-guard small ball lineups. (Yes, yes it can be said that the other player has to defend KD on the other end too but cross matching fixes that e.g. put the 2nd big on Thabo or Lamb or someone. Can't fix post defense with cross matching).

The jumpers are just nitpicking, sure. But his post defense and his team defense isn't what I'd call a "minor" flaw.

LBJ is the only guy who plays what he's supposed to play well. So by your definition of having no "serious" flaw, LBJ is practically the only real superstar.
    By your definition sure. By my definition no. We can have two different interpretations of what a serious flaw is. You keep pointing out the fact that he makes all these rotation flaws over the course of the season, but where are your measurable to prove this? Where can you say that he does this at a higher rate than most players to make him below average on his rotations? If you have that stat i'm all ears, but again, I don't think messing up on some rotations is a serious flaw. Agree to disagree.

Regarding the post defense, I can't agree there as well. You're moving the target on me. The first argument is he can't defend 3's there (James, George, Melo who arent in his conference) and now it's because he can't defend as a stretch. Yet when we look at his minutes as a stretch, he only spends 30% of his time at the 4. So not being a great defender in the post for what, 5% of offensive possessions (he may play 30% of his minutes there but let's not act like the ball's being throw down there every play) is a deal breaker? That's not a serious flaw to me. Agree to disagree again.

Again, what you consider a major flaw doesn't have to be what I consider it. We clearly have 2 very different definitions of what a serious flaw is. I think yours are nitpicking. You think they're not, and that's ok.

I'm not so on the side of Love. I'm taking his argument up because people are trying to hang onto defense as the reason he isn't a Superstar and yet you yourself have claimed KD is a Superstar and I perceive his defense as bad as well.

My argument was never who I would take over who, it was that if one is a Superstar than the other should be as well.

You can spout opinion about Durant's defense all you want. I can too. Which is why I find this discussion so funny. One is slightly bad, the other is really bad.

Here's the simple truth about defense. They both allowed 0.84ppp against the person they were defending. Love is better in the Post and KD is better in spot up/iso (though both are good in iso). Love allowed a slightly higher FG% but his opponents were also shooting closer to the basket, which is why their ppp were the same.

There is no outstanding stat that shows KD is better than KL on defense and like I said KL gives you nearly double the rebounds while playing defense.

All this again points to the fact that anyone using the defensive argument against Love is also arguing against Durant because they are the same on that end.

To the side question of who I would take, I don't know. If Durant had any killer instinct in him it'd be a landslide in his favor. Sadly I'm worried he's too nice to be a number 1. These playoffs and the way Westbrook operated as the no.1 and Durant just let him really bothers me for the type of player he is.
    We can agree on this point completely and I like the stats you provided as well as a good argument. Again, i think like Nikk said it's not all about stats or eye test. My eye tells me Durant’s a better defender than Love and tbh he may or may not be. It's just how i view it. this all started as, what do I consider a superstar and why? I gave my reasoning and obviously i feel Durant is one because he's better on offense and imo better on defense. I’m ok with people not agreeing with me, but there is no absolute here. There are people who probably would argue Melo, George, Howard, Harden are a superstar. That’s their opinion and I’m fine with that; however they just don't match my criteria as a superstar. I'm not sure what the point of this whole exercise is and this isn't a jab at you. I'm pretty much giving a definition of why i thought Durant and Lebron was a superstar so people could poke holes in the argument and my line of thinking. It was pointless and honestly why I didn't feel like doing it. Exhausting as i said in my first post about it. I knew it was going to be broken down word for word and when there was something that wasn't rock solid, it was going to be picked apart at nausea. That's how these conversations go.

What skill sets a player have or don't have or flaws does depend on the position they play. We don't expect Tony Parker to be Tim Duncan on the block we don't expect Tim Duncan to have Tony Parkers quicks and handles.

Durant is a wing player. He isn't going to be a great post defender because that's not what his play style calls for the overwhelming majority of the time he's on the floor. I've seen PG's get match with C's in the post when team rotate on defense. Does that mean Russell Westbrook has a major flaw because he can't defend Dwight Howard in the post?

Was Magic Johnson a superstar? Because he was super bad at defense. Even for players back in his day.

We can agree on this point completely and I like the stats you provided as well as a good argument. Again, i think like Nikk said it's not all about stats or eye test. My eye tells me Durant’s a better defender than Love and tbh he may or may not be. It's just how i view it. this all started as, what do I consider a superstar and why? I gave my reasoning and obviously i feel Durant is one because he's better on offense and imo better on defense. I’m ok with people not agreeing with me, but there is no absolute here. There are people who probably would argue Melo, George, Howard, Harden are a superstar. That’s their opinion and I’m fine with that; however they just don't match my criteria as a superstar. I'm not sure what the point of this whole exercise is and this isn't a jab at you. I'm pretty much giving a definition of why i thought Durant and Lebron was a superstar so people could poke holes in the argument and my line of thinking. It was pointless and honestly why I didn't feel like doing it. Exhausting as i said in my first post about it. I knew it was going to be broken down word for word and when there was something that wasn't rock solid, it was going to be picked apart at nausea. That's how these conversations go.
    Please don't get me confused with everyone else calling people out in this thread. I didn't quote anyone but was only making what I thought was an interesting point while reading through the conversation. That being that Love is hammered on his defense as the reason he isn't a Superstar but Durant is given a pass on that end so he can be considered one.

I've never even given my definition of a Superstar until now. Which is I think Superstar has far less to do which actual play on court and more to do with how big of fan draw the player has. Given that definition I there are a few more Superstars than just LBJ and Durant. But again I'm not basing that on actual play on the court. In my mind there is only LBJ as the man on top of the mountain if we are talking about actual on the court ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I hope you see the flaw in this comment alone. Subjectivity is the only thing that can spark a discussion. For example if 2+2=4. There is nothing subjective about that therefore there is no reason to ever debate math. Pluto is not a planet. There are strict guidelines on what makes a celestial body a planet therefore there's no debating Pluto doesn't meet those requirements therefore Pluto is not a planet. You see science seeks to remove all doubt therefore making things non subjective. However some things will always remain subjective. Art being one of those things. The entire world may think Mona Lisa is great work and it's still subjective. You can apply all the stats and scientific approach, but you can't form an equation that removes the subjectivity out of sports.

Using my 6 seasons 0 playoffs appearances stat. Would Durant have such a blemish on is record if not for having Westbrook and Ibaka? How do we prove this? Would Love have at least one playoff appearance had he not gotten injured? These are things that can't just be factor into some stat or equation.

Sorry you are frustrated with the truth, but no one stat or combo of stats can tell you everything about a players impact. It's not lazy it's simply the truth and a quest to find such a stat/s is futile at best. What you don't see in that statement is that stats are useless or that advance stats don't give us a better understanding of things that where completely left to the eye test before them.

For example I called Lance Stephens a ball dominate guard. Zach Lowe wrote an article talking about Lance having a low usage rate. However usage rates don't calculate how much time a player spends with the ball in his hand therefore usage rates isn't a great way to determine ball domination unless that ball domination leads directly to a stat that is kept ie assist, shot attempts, turnovers. So if a player gets a "hockey assist" that doesn't factor into usage. So a player in theory could have the ball in his hands 75% of the time on offense and still have a low usage rate if he's not logging conventional stats.

Now to answer your question farther. You grade players on a number of categories, Shooting, Ball-handling, Passing, Leadership, Defense, etc.(again this is a simplified version of categories) you rank each player based on these skill groups and you give them a grade. Stats factor in I wouldn't dare call a career 60% FT shooter a great FT shooter, I wouldn't dare call a guy with a negative assist to turnover ratio a great ball handler, and so on. What's the point of factoring in WS% if it is insanely high for a guy that has never been to the post season? There is a thing called "empty stats" and raw statically analyst can't account for these things. If a guy misses an easy uncontested layup and tips it back in twice before making it. The stat doesn't say missed easy shot therefore had to attempt that shot two more times. It shows as 2 missed 2 missed layup attempt one make and 2 offensives rebounds.
    Subjectivity and Objectivity is not merely about the subject and the object. Not just about the lack of the subject's bias or the importance of the object being free of outside influence. If subjectivity was merely that, then nothing would be objective and everything would be subjective. Even how you define a "planet" is open for discussion. Even what each word in the English language mean. A chair is a chair only because everybody accepts it's a chair. How that definition is used is open to interpretation. Does a chair need to have four legs? Does a chair need to function as a butt rest? What if the world decides that a chair is not a chair but a bed and a bed is not a bed but a chair. Would we still consider what defines a chair objective or subjective?

What we perceive will always have a tinge of bias. But we can with certainty say that as defined by mathematical axioms, using the operator addition on 2 and 2 results into 4. But Math, for as defined as it is with its multitude of axioms, theorems, laws, and what not, is still objective in nature. But the exercise of extracting truth (or universally accepted premises to be accepted as fact) is subjectively objective. Is proving a theorem a subjective exercise or an objective one?

It is objective in that it uses laws, theorems and postulates derived from axioms we believe to be true.

But subjective in that the methodology, the organization and what not differs from person to person. As they say, we arrive at the same conclusion -- we just took different paths to get there. It is the same with basketball.

This is the same with basketball - it IS a social science. I'll end the minor philosophical rant here.

Yes, there are empty stats. And yes, we seem to agree that certain things are supposed to be objective beyond a reasonable doubt -- what defines a good FT shooter.

What I find it hard to believe is that you seem to accept some statistics as objective while others subjective when in reality, they are neither and they are both. You say a 60 percent shooter is not a great FT shooter only because relative to the league it plays on (where average is about 70%, correct me if I am wrong). But 60% from the FT line yields 120 points per 100 -- still well above league average points per 100 possession.

Factoring in WS -- a statistic derived from ORTG and DRTG, which is in turn derived from points/rebounds/assists/etc... and points allowed/steals/field goal misses forced/etc -- is an important part of the discussion because its a statistical model that captures a certain story.

You misunderstood me when I said "I am frustrated when people say no one stat or a combo of it can tell the whole story". It is the truth (or a universally accepted premise). But using merely your observations (as you are so keen on doing) tells a better story than what these "stats" say.

In reality, Zach Lowe was right -- Lance isn't a ball dominant scorer which means he actually has to score to be considered that. But he neither took too many shots, committed too many turnovers (some may of course not be born out of trying to score) nor gotten so many free throws (again, some may not be born out of trying to score).

There is evidence to suggest that he is a ball dominant player (Top 100 in Time of Possessions and Half Court Possessions per Game).

Also, it says a lot that you think these models (PER, WS etc) will see the scenario that you laid out (2 missed layups, one make, two offensive rebounds) as a good one. It won't. It's actually a negative one since there's a possibility that the other team gets the rebound -- which I think is your point when you wanted to de-merit a player for missing the first uncontested attempt. It's easy to see this in the equation of both "empty statistic".

Subjectivity and Objectivity is not merely about the subject and the object. Not just about the lack of the subject's bias or the importance of the object being free of outside influence. If subjectivity was merely that, then nothing would be objective and everything would be subjective. Even how you define a "planet" is open for discussion. Even what each word in the English language mean. A chair is a chair only because everybody accepts it's a chair. How that definition is used is open to interpretation. Does a chair need to have four legs? Does a chair need to function as a butt rest? What if the world decides that a chair is not a chair but a bed and a bed is not a bed but a chair. Would we still consider what defines a chair objective or subjective?

What we perceive will always have a tinge of bias. But we can with certainty say that as defined by mathematical axioms, using the operator addition on 2 and 2 results into 4. But Math, for as defined as it is with its multitude of axioms, theorems, laws, and what not, is still objective in nature. But the exercise of extracting truth (or universally accepted premises to be accepted as fact) is subjectively objective. Is proving a theorem a subjective exercise or an objective one?

It is objective in that it uses laws, theorems and postulates derived from axioms we believe to be true.

But subjective in that the methodology, the organization and what not differs from person to person. As they say, we arrive at the same conclusion -- we just took different paths to get there. It is the same with basketball.

This is the same with basketball - it IS a social science. I'll end the minor philosophical rant here.

Yes, there are empty stats. And yes, we seem to agree that certain things are supposed to be objective beyond a reasonable doubt -- what defines a good FT shooter.

What I find it hard to believe is that you seem to accept some statistics as objective while others subjective when in reality, they are neither and they are both. You say a 60 percent shooter is not a great FT shooter only because relative to the league it plays on (where average is about 70%, correct me if I am wrong). But 60% from the FT line yields 120 points per 100 -- still well above league average points per 100 possession.

Factoring in WS -- a statistic derived from ORTG and DRTG, which is in turn derived from points/rebounds/assists/etc... and points allowed/steals/field goal misses forced/etc -- is an important part of the discussion because its a statistical model that captures a certain story.

You misunderstood me when I said "I am frustrated when people say no one stat or a combo of it can tell the whole story". It is the truth (or a universally accepted premise). But using merely your observations (as you are so keen on doing) tells a better story than what these "stats" say.

In reality, Zach Lowe was right -- Lance isn't a ball dominant scorer which means he actually has to score to be considered that. But he neither took too many shots, committed too many turnovers (some may of course not be born out of trying to score) nor gotten so many free throws (again, some may not be born out of trying to score).

There is evidence to suggest that he is a ball dominant player (Top 100 in Time of Possessions and Half Court Possessions per Game).

Also, it says a lot that you think these models (PER, WS etc) will see the scenario that you laid out (2 missed layups, one make, two offensive rebounds) as a good one. It won't. It's actually a negative one since there's a possibility that the other team gets the rebound -- which I think is your point when you wanted to de-merit a player for missing the first uncontested attempt. It's easy to see this in the equation of both "empty statistic".
    So by your account whoever has the best WS and PER is the best player right?

IBM is another good stat to throw in there, too. If someone is at the top of all 3, yeah, it's a near certainty they had the best individual season.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Of course. It can't be one or the other. I have to be either a stat savant or a eye-test.

Thread Information