Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 16 Teams Have Called About Trading For K.Love

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoewan View Post
    I'm very interested to know what you mean by "Star" and what "Superstar" means. I want a very detailed and very logical description (and explanation that follows). Really curious to know what all of you mean by "Star" and "Superstar"
    I want a sammich; don't think I'm getting one though . Seriously if i get some time i'll try to do it.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I'm very interested to know what you mean by "Star" and what "Superstar" means. I want a very detailed and very logical description (and explanation that follows). Really curious to know what all of you mean by "Star" and "Superstar"
    Not trying to join the gang-up-on-Tron-athon here but I agree. I hate the use of such subjective terminology passed off as objective. Star, Superstar, whatever doesn't mean anything.

What matters is a player's impact for his team. Was Jeremy Lin any kind of star on the warriors? Was he in New York? Did he vastly improve his game or was he utilized differently? Can we measure a player's impact on a game? We can look at plays where a player helped his team directly or indirectly and that is as close as we can get. We can recite stats and records but there is no objective way to measure a player's usefulness. We can all agree that Lebron is a better overall player than Harden, but there are things that Harden can do better than Lebron. Because of that Harden could have a team built around him where he can be more effective than Lebron. Star, Superstar, those are all false accolades we give to players in some kind of ranking system in our heads. What we should look at is skills and roles and how they fit together in the larger part of a team.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Personally if you don't play both sides of the ball, you're not a superstar in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Not trying to join the gang-up-on-Tron-athon here but I agree. I hate the use of such subjective terminology passed off as objective. Star, Superstar, whatever doesn't mean anything.

What matters is a player's impact for his team. Was Jeremy Lin any kind of star on the warriors? Was he in New York? Did he vastly improve his game or was he utilized differently? Can we measure a player's impact on a game? We can look at plays where a player helped his team directly or indirectly and that is as close as we can get. We can recite stats and records but there is no objective way to measure a player's usefulness. We can all agree that Lebron is a better overall player than Harden, but there are things that Harden can do better than Lebron. Because of that Harden could have a team built around him where he can be more effective than Lebron. Star, Superstar, those are all false accolades we give to players in some kind of ranking system in our heads. What we should look at is skills and roles and how they fit together in the larger part of a team.
    Finally something we don't agree on!

Star Superstar may not mean anything, but sports fans love rankings and rankings imho are even more subjective than the "superstar" debate here.

For instance, saying Paul George is a top 3 SF doesn't really show he's not even in the same stratosphere as Durant and Lebron. He just seems pretty close. He's not.

Regarding the Harden reference, there is no instance that i can even conjure up where he is as effective as Lebron except with one of Lebrons limbs missing. He doesn't play 1/2 of the game (defense).

Our own Anthony Davis thinks Love is the hardest guy in the game to guard. So that's saying something.

No one's saying Love isn't good...

You sure are very demanding aren't you! LOL

Like BallsoHard said when I get some time I'll try to honor your request best as possible. Hopefully it's to your liking your highness.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    You sure are very demanding aren't you! LOL

Like BallsoHard said when I get some time I'll try to honor your request best as possible. Hopefully it's to your liking your highness.
    HAHAHA didn't mean to sound so demanding. I noticed that a lot of the confusion and anger towards you are based on misquotes/miscommunication/misunderstanding. So I wanted to prevent that from the root i.e. you explaining your POV that leaves any reason for doubt as to what you mean.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I like Love's game. (barring the occasional defensive lapse)

I think he's a great 2nd option for a championship team. He has yet to prove that he can be the leader of a team but possesses great skills for the #2 guy. (rebounding, 3s, post scoring)

I don't know whether it's a mental thing or what but until he makes that next jump, he'll stay a #2 guy.

HAHAHA didn't mean to sound so demanding. I noticed that a lot of the confusion and anger towards you are based on misquotes/miscommunication/misunderstanding. So I wanted to prevent that from the root i.e. you explaining your POV that leaves any reason for doubt as to what you mean.
    Na it's all good I definitely don't have a problem explaining myself and would prefer for someone to ask me to be specific as opposed to assuming things.

I'll try to simplify the whole superstar vs star thing as best I can while still getting my point across.

1st there's a grading system right. So if LeBron is an A+ player, Durant is an A player, then C. Paul is an A- player. Then you have guys like Blake Griffin, LaMarcus Aldridge, Paul George, Russell Westbrook, Step Curry, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, etc are B+ players

So based on grading A players are superstars so by my account theirs 3 superstars and the rest of the big time players at this point in their careers are stars. Some like Kobe Bryant(B+) and Duncan use to be A+ players but age has reduced their play to B+ players. Likewise a Player like D. Wade was an A player in is prime now he's a B to B- player. Than you have some guys that are on the cusp of being A to A- players like Curry, Griffin, Aldridge, and Harden (if he ever decides he wants to play defense).

So basically superstars are player A+ to A- players and star players are B+ to B- players. It is subjective and people may grade their superstars on a curve. Which I don't have a problem with and I'm sure I've probably done from time to time.

Keeping this on Kevin Love I would say right now he's a B player. Which would put him on par with guys like Harden(Who I think is highly overrated) Bosh, Ibaka, Noah and M. Gasol.

Honestly,

I think Lebron and Durant are the only 2 superstars in the league right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Honestly,

I think Lebron and Durant are the only 2 superstars in the league right now.
    Next year there will be 3.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Next year there will be 3.
    He's honestly one of the only guys i can see making the jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    I like Love's game. (barring the occasional defensive lapse)

I think he's a great 2nd option for a championship team. He has yet to prove that he can be the leader of a team but possesses great skills for the #2 guy. (rebounding, 3s, post scoring)

I don't know whether it's a mental thing or what but until he makes that next jump, he'll stay a #2 guy.
    He's a number one scorer. he needs someone else to initiate the offense though, you can't throw it to him in the post like prime duncan and have him pass it out of the double team for an eventual open shot. He could be like Dirk though with the right pieces

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    He's honestly one of the only guys i can see making the jump.
    Paul George has made a big leap each year. I could see 4 next year if he continues to progress at this rate. I don't think Love can ever make it to "superstar" status.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    He's a number one scorer. he needs someone else to initiate the offense though, you can't throw it to him in the post like prime duncan and have him pass it out of the double team for an eventual open shot. He could be like Dirk though with the right pieces
    Dirk was a guy who could initiate an offense.

Paul George has made a big leap each year. I could see 4 next year if he continues to progress at this rate. I don't think Love can ever make it to "superstar" status.
    Honestly I thought George regressed this year. He seems to have a tendency to disappear in big games too.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    When it comes to George he seems to just be missing that "something" that makes the difference between stars and superstars but e's walking that line like no one I've ever seen before, thinking off the top of my head. If he had it he would more consistent in his spectacular play, in his case it would probably be higher scoring games.
    Last edited by wuggie; 06-09-2014 at 07:05 PM.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Honestly I thought George regressed this year. He seems to have a tendency to disappear in big games too.
    He improved his PER and TS% this year from last. His defense didn't make a huge leap, but his confidence and shooting seemed to improve this year.

This season Love was a better offensive player and rebounder per 36 than Duncan or AD. He beat them in points, rebounds, and assists. His lack of an above-the-rim game and his sullen persona keeps him from being the superstar that his statistics would otherwise make him. His rebounding is an elite skill, and he can also score in a variety of ways. He can pass as well as any big man. Doesn't foul a lot, but that may be because he doesn't defend hard.
    The "hasn't won anything" argument used to be applied to LeBron and Garnett, and I think it is pretty weak. If Love ever gets a good core around him and a solid coach at the same time, I think he can lead a team to the playoffs. If he goes to the East he might not need a core....

Garnett reached the conference finals iirc and lebron the nba finals

Love has been reaching for a way out. Can't recall him reaching the playoffs a single time. There's "hasn't won anything" and "hasn't won anything". Chris paul with a horrid squad nearly carried the hornets to the PO in his first season. Love? Meh

He improved his PER and TS% this year from last. His defense didn't make a huge leap, but his confidence and shooting seemed to improve this year.
    His PER did have a nice jump, mainly due to his increased FTr (and Ft%) and taking more shots. I wonder if that had anything to do with his star status. TS% is directly calculated by adding FTr in it and even then it was less than 3% increase. Go look at all his other stats, either flatlined or decreased.

Even if I conceded PER and TS% that doesn't indicate the "big leap" that you tried to say happened every year. Especially when you can argue he had a worse year in 12-13 than 11-12.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post
    This season Love was a better offensive player and rebounder per 36 than Duncan or AD. He beat them in points, rebounds, and assists. His lack of an above-the-rim game and his sullen persona keeps him from being the superstar that his statistics would otherwise make him. His rebounding is an elite skill, and he can also score in a variety of ways. He can pass as well as any big man. Doesn't foul a lot, but that may be because he doesn't defend hard.
    The "hasn't won anything" argument used to be applied to LeBron and Garnett, and I think it is pretty weak. If Love ever gets a good core around him and a solid coach at the same time, I think he can lead a team to the playoffs. If he goes to the East he might not need a core....
    I think the comparison the Duncan and AD is poor since no one is calling them a superstar yet or anymore. Love's above the rim game doesn't affect me not viewing him as a superstar. It's his poor to average play on the defensive end. To me, you have to be from the Good-Great range on both sides of the ball. If he becomes a good defender and keeps getting abetter on offense, he will enter the conversation. We all know he won't become a rim protector, but if he can just be solid he'd have an argument.

I think George was on pace to becoming one this season, but he took a huge step back after the first half of the season and a little in the playoffs. He had games here and there but he just hasnt seemed to rise to the moment yet.

paul george doesn't have the killer instinct.

Thread Information