Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Morrow just re-tweeted this

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Exactly. And even if he didn't announce until later (which most guys do), why this effort by both him and his agent to get the word out that he hasn't decided yet?

Its very curious to say the least. Literally everyone thought it was a mere formality that he was going to opt out, so why the effort through the media to say that this is not the case?
    What do you think the chances he opts in?
    Didn't JR Smith do the same thing?

EDIT:

There is a precedent here: JR Smith opted in for just over 2 mil prior to 2012 season despite the fact that he probably could have gotten much more elsewhere. Then, using Early Bird Rights, the Knicks took care of him the following summer

Thought I read it somewhere

ah ok, yea that's the only thing I can think of is that he is considering opting in because he really wants to stay. I would say he is at least conflicted about testing the market again because it hasn't worked out for him in the past
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    What do you think the chances he opts in?
    Didn't JR Smith do the same thing?

EDIT:

There is a precedent here: JR Smith opted in for just over 2 mil prior to 2012 season despite the fact that he probably could have gotten much more elsewhere. Then, using Early Bird Rights, the Knicks took care of him the following summer

Thought I read it somewhere
    Yes, it is possible. Why I mentioned it. But again, that is a huge gamble for Morrow. One I hope he takes.
    @mcnamara247

Exactly. And even if he didn't announce until later (which most guys do), why this effort by both him and his agent to get the word out that he hasn't decided yet?

Its very curious to say the least. Literally everyone thought it was a mere formality that he was going to opt out, so why the effort through the media to say that this is not the case?
    Maybe his agent wants to hear from other teams through back channels that it will be worth it for Morrow to opt out?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Maybe his agent wants to hear from other teams through back channels that it will be worth it for Morrow to opt out?
    If he opts in, he makes 1.145 million. There is a zero percent chance he gets less than that on the open market, so that cant be it.

If he opts in, he makes 1.145 million. There is a zero percent chance he gets less than that on the open market, so that cant be it.
    Maybe not in that sense but more "is it worth it?" Maybe morrow is willing to give up 750k to stay in NO. If he hears people want him to sign for 2M a year maybe he prefers to Opt in and stay here.

If he opts in, he makes 1.145 million.
    If he opts out does the clock restart on his bird rights?

I am happy if Morrow stay with NOLA!

He waits as long as possible to opt out to put pressure on the Pelicans. As long as he has not opted out it locks up a roster spot and cap money that the Pelicans cannot use elsewhere. His agent listens to offers from other teams during this time and he has the upper hand in any negotiations with the Pelicans. If the process gets drawn out fewer players become options for replacing him as they begin making deals with other teams, thus driving up his value to the Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    He waits as long as possible to opt out to put pressure on the Pelicans. As long as he has not opted out it locks up a roster spot and cap money that the Pelicans cannot use elsewhere. His agent listens to offers from other teams during this time and he has the upper hand in any negotiations with the Pelicans. If the process gets drawn out fewer players become options for replacing him as they begin making deals with other teams, thus driving up his value to the Pelicans.
    That may drive up his value to the Pelicans (who are limited in what they can give him anyway), but drives down his value to the rest of the league. The money/cap room dries up pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by nola007 View Post
    This is not the case at all.

He has to make a decision by June 30th. The Pelicans can not even start negotiating with FA's until July 1st, and Morrow's agent cannot negotiate with other teams until July 1st, so I repeat - this is nowhere near the strategy.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    This is not the case at all.

He has to make a decision by June 30th. The Pelicans can not even start negotiating with FA's until July 1st, and Morrow's agent cannot negotiate with other teams until July 1st, so I repeat - this is nowhere near the strategy.
    You're feeding the troll, homey. He literally bumped every thread made in the last few weeks.

My bad. I just don't want people to be misinformed. Didn't see this guys' other stuff. Thanks for the heads up

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    My bad. I just don't want people to be misinformed. Didn't see this guys' other stuff. Thanks for the heads up
    No worries

Thread Information