Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who has the potential to be more valuable to the team Ajinca or Withey?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    What was his per 36 on fouls?
    That was his per36

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    That was his per36
    Don't you use your crazy "advanced" stat on me

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Don't you use your crazy "advanced" stat on me
    Thankfully Basketball Reference calculated this for me. The calculations were too much for me.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What was his per 36 on fouls?
    Ajinca's fouls are so high per 36 that you also just fouled out by merely inquiring about how to calculate such a number.

And I did too.

Damn it.

Who has the potential to be more valuable to the team Ajinca or Withey?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Ajinca's fouls are so high per 36 that you also just fouled out by merely inquiring about how to calculate such a number.

And I did too.

Damn it.
    Fouls per 36 is peridoxial stat since fouls are finite. I mean technically the highest it can go is 6 amiright?!?

Fouls per 36 is peridoxial stat since fouls are finite. I mean technically the highest it can go is 6 amiright?!?
    Didn't the Lakers just this year have a player who fouled out but due to injuries on the team was allowed to keep playing? I assume if he had picked up another foul he would have stayed.

However, I understand your point. Which is why the biggest thing for Ajinca is to get more core strength and not foul as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Didn't the Lakers just this year have a player who fouled out but due to injuries on the team was allowed to keep playing? I assume if he had picked up another foul he would have stayed.

However, I understand your point. Which is why the biggest thing for Ajinca is to get more core strength and not foul as much.
    TBH i was completely joking

TBH i was completely joking
    I took it as you were making an anti per36 point. And I kind of agreed with you. But a joke fits as well I suppose.

I took it as you were making an anti per36 point. And I kind of agreed with you. But a joke fits as well I suppose.
    Oh yeah, i mean i'm completely anti against per 36; so yeah you got the joke. It's a really meaningless stats imo.

Oh yeah, i mean i'm completely anti against per 36; so yeah you got the joke. It's a really meaningless stats imo.
    Like all stats I think it just has to be taken with a grain of salt and in context.

Can it be used to project how a guy who played 12 minutes would fair if he played 36? I doubt it. Can it be used to get an idea of how a guy who played 30 minutes would do? Or in comparing a guy who played 32 versus another who played 38? I think it is useful.

I think our very own Tyreke was the perfect example of this. His per36 projected him to be a 20-6-6 guy and when he got the minutes he was very close to that. But again, context is important. Same with 3pt %. Someone trying to argue 19 attempts is a big enough sample size to count is just as silly as someone who quotes per36 on a guy who averaged 10 minutes a game.

Like all stats I think it just has to be taken with a grain of salt and in context.

Can it be used to project how a guy who played 12 minutes would fair if he played 36? I doubt it. Can it be used to get an idea of how a guy who played 30 minutes would do? Or in comparing a guy who played 32 versus another who played 38? I think it is useful.

I think our very own Tyreke was the perfect example of this. His per36 projected him to be a 20-6-6 guy and when he got the minutes he was very close to that. But again, context is important. Same with 3pt %. Someone trying to argue 19 attempts is a big enough sample size to count is just as silly as someone who quotes per36 on a guy who averaged 10 minutes a game.
    Yeah, I just think it's too subjective. Like Tyreke's per 36 may have projected him to do that, but would he have? Maybe if starting, but if he came off the bench then did 36 mpg would it have worked? All it is, is an extrapolation of what he's doing now and I guess if someone struggles with determining 10 points in 26 minutes means 14 in 36 then it can be useful. I just think like you said, grain of salt and more of one than most stats. Just one of the stats that drives me up the walls.

Yeah, I just think it's too subjective. Like Tyreke's per 36 may have projected him to do that, but would he have? Maybe if starting, but if he came off the bench then did 36 mpg would it have worked? All it is, is an extrapolation of what he's doing now and I guess if someone struggles with determining 10 points in 26 minutes means 14 in 36 then it can be useful. I just think like you said, grain of salt and more of one than most stats. Just one of the stats that drives me up the walls.
    Sure I understand that completely. I personally use it mostly as a way of looking at standardized production between two players who got different amounts of minutes since I find it completely unfair to say a guy who got more minutes and so scores more points, but has a lower FG% is clearly a better player.

I'd have to go back and look again but I remember checking partway through the year on Tyreke and it was pretty clear, coming off the bench or starting, if he got the minutes he produced. It's really sad when you look at what he did and realize this was the first year he's ever averaged less than 30 minutes a game. It's one of the biggest faults I lay at Monty's feet. Especially when you look at our injuries.

Thread Information