Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who has the potential to be more valuable to the team Ajinca or Withey?

Who has the potential to be more valuable to the team Ajinca or Withey?

I'm a bit torn between the two on who could be more valuable to the team. With Alexis he has great size at 7'2 with a 7'9 wingspan and that alone affected so many shots this season. He's skinny as a rail and fouls a lot but if he bulks up and cuts down on the fouls he would be a really good role player. He also has a pretty decent midrange game to help space the floor. On the other hand Withey is pretty athletic and a much better shot blocker and younger. He's also pretty skinny and needs to bulk up because he had plenty of trouble finishing with contact. I'm not too sure on his offensive game but from what I read lately he has pretty good feet where as Ajinca is a stiff.
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 06-04-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Ajinca - His offensive game is much more polished than Withey. AD can use another big who can bang down low and shoot the 15 - 17 ft. jumper.
    Last edited by TPDG22; 06-05-2014 at 02:35 AM.

Who was more effective Luc Longley or Bill Wennington?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

This is a great question. Don't know the answer, though I think Withey might be the choice just because he is under contract longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

if you're asking who I think has more potential to be more valuable, I would say ajjinca, simply because of his wingspan and his decent offensive game. I think withy is more likely to become more valuable because he had quicker feet and is more knowledgeable defensively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Good question and I don't think that there will be an answer before next season's tipoff. There would be some clues this summer since Withey is going to play in summer league and Ajinca for France in the World Cup.

Both of them have some room for improvement with a summer of NBA conditionning. Then it depend on what the team really wants from the center potential. Withey could be a better pick-and-roll defender and a better rebounder while Ajinca is more polished on the offensive end and if he use his arms less for reaching and more for the verticality he could be a rim protector a la Hibbert.

Problem i have with withey is his offense is really not much and he's not a good rebounder. Problem i have with ajinca is that his feet are slower than an italian lawsuit.

BUT, i think i have a solution!

Et voilĂ**

Both. It depends who is on the court with them, who the opponent is, how the refs are calling fouls, and how much their games improve. Withey has quicker feet, better defensive instincts, and better self-control to avoid fouling and turnovers. Ajinca has the wingspan, shooting touch, and more bulk, even though that bulk is oddly distributed. But, I don't want him shooting a bunch of long 2s, so I don't value his shooting touch so much.

Remember that big men often have skeletal stress issues, so having three decent bigs may be the best option to surround AD. Having zero awful bigs is more important to me than having another superior big besides AD. Neither of these guys is close to awful. Unfortunately, Jason Smith is close to awful when analyzed by Wins Produced. All that energy and toughness doesn't get measured, and is offset by bad shot selection and lack of rebounding. If we can substitute Jordan Hill for Jason Smith and keep Withey and Ajinca and Anderson and of course AD we will have one of the best front lines in the league.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s.../post_117.html

On Ajinca, he plans to work with AD this summer and focus on D and staying out of foul trouble. I honestly like him as a big off the bench, but I can't see him starting unless he makes a highly unlikely jump on the defensive end
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s.../post_117.html

On Ajinca, he plans to work with AD this summer and focus on D and staying out of foul trouble. I honestly like him as a big off the bench, but I can't see him starting unless he makes a highly unlikely jump on the defensive end
    I think he could be the 15-20 minute "starter in name only" guy if he cleans up a few things, like the foul trouble. Look at who Dell has acquired to be the "starter" next to AD--post-injury Robin Lopez and Stiemsma. Not exactly world beaters, especially when we brought them in. Ajinca specifically mentions working on his P&R defense--he should be better than both RoLo and Stiemsma at P&R defense. He also seems to have the mobility to play in Monty's aggressive scheme and the length to protect the rim when AD is drawn to the perimeter on D. I think he could be OK as a third, defensive big. Especially if we acquire a SF who is a threat on offense.
    Last edited by greewe; 06-06-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Ajinca
    Allons, enfants de la patrie,

Le jour de gloire est arrivé.

Contre nous, de la tyrannie,

L’Ă©tendard sanglant est levĂ©; l’Ă©tendard

sanglant est levé.

Entendez-vous, dans les campagnes

Mugir ces féroces soldats?

Ils viennent jusque dans nos bras

Égorger nos fils, nos compagnes.

Aux armes, citoyens!

Formez vos bataillons,

Marchons, marchons!

I like the ring of Alexis
    And Whithey is so well .... Whithey
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 06-05-2014 at 09:37 PM.

French...bleeehhh.

Ajinca is slow. Real slow. Too slow. Get rid of him.. Quick

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Ajinca is slow. Real slow. Too slow. Get rid of him.. Quick
    Can't tell if this is serious or not. He's 7'1". He's actually quite mobile for his size.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    From my humble observation, as far as straight line speed, Ajinca seems to have decent mobility from what I saw finishing on the pick and roll. And I think I remember him posting up on someone, facing them up, taking them off the dribble, and dunking (I'll try to look for that). But laterally he seems to leave something to be desired.

He's a descent post defender but he's late on almost every rotation. For every nice play he make on offense and defense, that make you say wow this guy has talent, he makes 2 really bad ones, (mainly defensively). He's a limited player with a lot of strengths but a lot of glaring weaknesses. He makes a poor role player if you ask me. That's why he hasn't been able to stick with a team.

I'd rather Whithey even now.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Not sure why this needs to be a debate. They both leave alot to be desired and they both have potential to develop more and at 24 and 26, respectively, I think they both deserve extended looks for development.

Banned
    Withey is the answer, but he can't play 36 minutes, and never will. He spent 4 years at Kansas, if he didn't get enough conditioning there, and he still can't play more than 19 minutes without looking super tired, he never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    Withey is the answer, but he can't play 36 minutes, and never will. He spent 4 years at Kansas, if he didn't get enough conditioning there, and he still can't play more than 19 minutes without looking super tired, he never will.
    I think never is a strong word. There's certain things Withey has access to now he likely never did in college. For example he can hire a nutritionist to come up with a diet specifically for him and he has the money to afford to stick with the diet. No more classes during the off season. Every day is a chance to workout and maintain.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Wow, Ajinca's stat line was pretty impressive... 12.4ppg - 10.5rpg - 1.7 bpg

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    I'm a bit torn between the two on who could be more valuable to the team. With Alexis he has great size at 7'2 with a 7'9 wingspan and that alone affected so many shots this season. He's skinny as a rail and fouls a lot but if he bulks upand cuts down on the fouls he would be a really good role player. He also has a pretty decent midrange game to help space the floor. On the other hand Withey is pretty athletic and a much better shot blocker and younger. He's also pretty skinny and needs to bulk up because he had plenty of trouble finishing with contact. I'm not too sure on his offensive game but from what I read lately he has pretty good feet where as Ajinca is a stiff.
    I seriously Lol when I read this part. Not happening

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Wow, Ajinca's stat line was pretty impressive... 12.4ppg - 10.5rpg - 1.7 bpg
    Yeah. But how many fouls? Lol

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yeah. But how many fouls? Lol
    7.1 fpg

What was his per 36 on fouls?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Thread Information