Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Out of curiosity

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar

Out of curiosity

I was thinking, if we really wanted to get into this years draft what would be the best way to do it? I think getting into the second wouldn't be that difficult. But getting into the first would be, especially in the top half.

Now not getting into the specifics or the dollars or the player picked. Just focusing on the offer and draft slot range, what do you think an offer of Gordon and a future first round pick net us?

This of course is assuming we want what the player or players they are offering and the dollars make sense and so on and so forth. Are we talking a lottery pick? Mid of first? Late first?

Gordon couldn't get us in this draft. I was told by a person I trust that Pierre might be able to net us somewhere between 27 and 40. Austin probably could get you into the 20s

A future protected 1st could get you in as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Gordon couldn't get us in this draft. I was told by a person I trust that Pierre might be able to net us somewhere between 27 and 40. Austin probably could get you into the 20s

A future protected 1st could get you in as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If we could flip Pierre for a late 1st/early 2nd and get Patric Young I'd be very happy. There's also he fact of turning Noel and pick 10 into Jrue and a 2014 1st that would go a long way in quieting people about the trade I think.

Well apparently 1/2 the lottery picks are for sale, so getting a top lottery pick wont be hard. j/k
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 06-04-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If we could flip Pierre for a late 1st/early 2nd and get Patric Young I'd be very happy. There's also he fact of turning Noel and pick 10 into Jrue and a 2014 1st that would go a long way in quieting people about the trade I think.
    Not even jrue having 82 triple doubles in a season and scoring 103 points in a single game could quiet some people

I mean we could have had noel!1!!1

This is assuming we end up with pick 10 this year if we don't do the Holiday trade.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This is assuming we end up with pick 10 this year if we don't do the Holiday trade.
    We are playing in the real world DT. Where the trade happened. Let's step out of fantasy world. You can only judge what actually went down. Not hypothetical what ifs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I would hope if we got a late 1st/early 2nd we would get someone better than Young.

We are playing in the real world DT. Where the trade happened. Let's step out of fantasy world. You can only judge what actually went down. Not hypothetical what ifs.

If your goal is to quiet people just taking a selective perspective isn't going to work. Not sure how you can fully evaluate a situation without factoring in the "hypothetical what ifs". Especially as it pertains to future draft picks.

If your goal is to quiet people just taking a selective perspective isn't going to work. Not sure how you can fully evaluate a situation without factoring in the "hypothetical what ifs". Especially as it pertains to future draft picks.
    Go troll any of the other threads where we discuss whether it was right to make the trade or not. That's not what this thread is about or what my original comment was about.

I was specifically talking about judging the trade as made if we end up with Jrue and can flip Pierre for a 1st. Basically meaning we gave up Noel and the 10th pick in 2014 for Jrue and a 1st rounder in 2014.

Exactly - there will never be universal agreement on that trade. Even if Jrue is great and Pierre gets us someone solid, the other side can always say, "Well, maybe they would have taken X player instead of Noel and Y player in 2014."

It is hopeless to try and convince others on that trade. Accept that there won't be universal agreement and concentrate on our team as opposed to rooting against other players on the Sixers to succeed.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    We've got one of the youngest teams in the league and 5 players on rookie deals. That's reason alone to do the trade for Jrue, but also why I don't think Dell gives up anything to get into this draft. We don't need more rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    We've got one of the youngest teams in the league and 5 players on rookie deals. That's reason alone to do the trade for Jrue, but also why I don't think Dell gives up anything to get into this draft. We don't need more rookies.
    Unless it is one of those 5 players. I agree, no way Pierre AND a guy from this class are on the team. But if they love a 3 or a 5, I can see them trading Pierre for a pick to grab that guy

Unless it is one of those 5 players. I agree, no way Pierre AND a guy from this class are on the team. But if they love a 3 or a 5, I can see them trading Pierre for a pick to grab that guy
    I can agree with that. But is there a 2nd round guy that would really make any difference on this team?

I can agree with that. But is there a 2nd round guy that would really make any difference on this team?
    Would Pierre?

I doubt either guy is more than an 11th man this year, the question is who can have the more tong term impact. I just don't see how time ever opens up for Pierre or him ever playing real minutes as long as Monty is the coach. Now, someone like Deandre Daniels - that is someone I can see Monty getting his hands on and trying to develop like he did Batum. Damien Ingles, Cleanthony Early, KJ McDaniels. All guys, that if developed, could be getting time that Pierre will never see.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would hope if we got a late 1st/early 2nd we would get someone better than Young.
    I suppose it depends where the pick is. Using the range MM listed I spent most of the morning looking at what players are expected to be there. I came away with 4 guys that I really like depending on where the pick is.

C Patric Young 6'10, 247, 7'1.75 WS - Defense and Rebound. Has the body to bang. Older and can contribute now. Has never missed a game in 4 years. Makes up for size using "elite" (according to DX) athleticism.

SF Damien Inglis 6'8, 240, 7'3 WS - Very young but already has an NBA body. Already considered a very good defender who can guard 2-4. Very good at rebounding, blocking, stealing, and has good passing instincts. Shot 39% from 3pt. Projects closely to Batum.

SF Cleanthony Early 6'7, 209, 6'10.75 WS - 64% TS, could score many different ways. 38% 3pt. Older, 4 year college player. Can come in and contribute now. Has enough athleticism to make plays on defense but is still raw (partially due to competition level).

C Walter Tavares 7'3, 265, "Huge" WS - He's Ajinca with 30 more pounds and more athletic. Can Hedge! And recover on defense. Great rebounder and shot blocker. Is a great weak side defender. Is mobile enough to set screens and dive to the basket. Is 22 but still has upside due to only playing for 4 yrs. hasn't missed a game in 1 1/2 years of professional playing.

After looking it up there's some really nice pieces in that range of the draft. I think if we are able to get a high enough pick I'd want Inglis or Tavares. Both can be Euro stashed for a year if needed or can come over immediately. I think it really depends on what position we'd want. Inglis and the. Batum comparison has me really intrigued for the SF position.

A summer of getting Inglis and Blatche would make me very happy.

Would Pierre?

I doubt either guy is more than an 11th man this year, the question is who can have the more tong term impact. I just don't see how time ever opens up for Pierre or him ever playing real minutes as long as Monty is the coach. Now, someone like Deandre Daniels - that is someone I can see Monty getting his hands on and trying to develop like he did Batum. Damien Ingles, Cleanthony Early, KJ McDaniels. All guys, that if developed, could be getting time that Pierre will never see.
    I would be surprised if Pierre ever sees any time as a Pelican. I think he will be traded before the season.

Go troll any of the other threads where we discuss whether it was right to make the trade or not. That's not what this thread is about or what my original comment was about.

I was specifically talking about judging the trade as made if we end up with Jrue and can flip Pierre for a 1st. Basically meaning we gave up Noel and the 10th pick in 2014 for Jrue and a 1st rounder in 2014.

You can't have it both ways. You can't evaluate what happened like it would have happened the same way barring the trade ever took place. As a person that was against the trade you can't quiet me saying we gave up Noel and the 10 pick for Jrue and late 1st. 1st it's completely hypothetical that we turn Jackson into a late 1st. Next as MM said the pick would have likely been Trey Burke. Also there's no telling where we would be drafting had we went the draft and develop path.

This thread is about a hypothetical situation of buying back into the draft. You were the one that brought the Jrue trade up not me.

Only thing with Pierre, is that teams might want to see him in Summer League, but all the trades and FA signings will go down before then.

Hopefully one team in that range will have seen enough and will give up a pick.

You can't have it both ways. You can't evaluate what happened like it would have happened the same way barring the trade ever took place. As a person that was against the trade you can't quiet me saying we gave up Noel and the 10 pick for Jrue and late 1st. 1st it's completely hypothetical that we turn Jackson into a late 1st. Next as MM said the pick would have likely been Trey Burke. Also there's no telling where we would be drafting had we went the draft and develop path.

This thread is about a hypothetical situation of buying back into the draft. You were the one that brought the Jrue trade up not me.
    Get over it. We are discussing late 1st/early 2nd players that we could target if we flip Pierre.

Get over it. We are discussing late 1st/early 2nd players that we could target if we flip Pierre.
    Get over what exactly?

You said this thread is about what happened when that's clearly not the case. This is about as "what if" as any threads gets. Then you bring up the Jrue trade which wasn't apart of the OP and there's no mention of Pierre Jackson in the OP either.

Face it you saw this hypothetical situation as a opportunity to voice your opinion at people who are against the Jrue trade. Then when you got called out now we are only dealing in the "real world".

You want to keep things on subject fine do that, but if I'm trolling calling you out then you are trolling bringing up the Jrue trade in the 1st place.

I always thought Da Throne's argument was that we should build through the draft... We've got 5 picks from the last two drafts. And a chance to flip one of those for a pick in this draft. I'm not sure how exactly the Holiday trade has hurt us.

...And if a 2nd round pick in a weak draft can be flipped into a late first in a deep draft, how can this be a bad thing??

Please stay on topic. Too many threads are turning into arguments rather than discussion of the topic.

Can we table this debate for 2-3 yrs. Any chance?

I haven't seen one person even budge yet. An unwinnable debate since one side can never be know. Ever.

I always thought Da Throne's argument was that we should build through the draft... We've got 5 picks from the last two drafts. And a chance to flip one of those for a pick in this draft. I'm not sure how exactly the Holiday trade has hurt us.

...And if a 2nd round pick in a weak draft can be flipped into a late first in a deep draft, how can this be a bad thing??
    When have I said I'm against this? You guys post things based solely off of nothing. The only thing I disagree with the idea that we are selecting 10th if we don't do the Holiday trade.

Thread Information