Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AD is getting his weight up

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    What do we have in that picture - 40, 50 thousand "baskets" scored?
    Too many to count.

Hefner looking at Wilt like, "Only 20,000? Step your game up!"
    @mcnamara247

245#'s would be a BMI of 25 (upper normal)

The interesting part was there was some talk last year that he is still growing. We would have to know his end height before really figuring out his ideal weight.

That's pretty good. I can't wait to see how much he improves next season when he adds the post game to his game

AD has shown he can shoot, drive, dunk, finish in traffic, and has some post moves, plus he just turned 21. This is only the tip of the iceberg, this guy is going to get a lot better. When he adds more strength, nothing can stop him.

23-12 this year
    26-14 the following year

ya i said it.

Bro do you even lift? AD does, just curls though
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

The interesting part was there was some talk last year that he is still growing. We would have to know his end height before really figuring out his ideal weight.
    This is something that irks me to no end...how can we actually know how tall he is? The nba apparently just measures one at the combine of before his first season or whatever and leaves it there forever...which is dumb since some guys are 19 and yes, you can still be growing up at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    245#'s would be a BMI of 25 (upper normal)
    Not true. The height/weight BMI calculator is flawed. Athletes get it tested either in a water tank or through another method. You can be 245 lbs of mostly fat or muscle, two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    This is something that irks me to no end...how can we actually know how tall he is? The nba apparently just measures one at the combine of before his first season or whatever and leaves it there forever...which is dumb since some guys are 19 and yes, you can still be growing up at that age.
    KG says he is 6'12". He is probably closer to 6'13" or 6'14". He denies being 7ft because he hates playing center.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Not true. The height/weight BMI calculator is flawed. Athletes get it tested either in a water tank or through another method. You can be 245 lbs of mostly fat or muscle, two different things.
    Somehow, I doubt whatever they use to test is at all accurate because you have guys coming in under 5% body fat. That low of a percentage would leave someone's skin tissue-thin and they should probably be hospitalized.
    Last edited by Kibner; 06-03-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Somehow, I doubt whatever they use to test is at all accurate because you have guys coming in under 5% body fat. That low of a percentage would leave someone's skin tissue-thin and they should probably be hospitalized.
    Per Wikipedia, "Bodybuilders may compete at ranges even lower than these levels. Certified personal trainers will suggest to male bodybuilders that they aim for a body fat percentage between 2% and 4% by contest time. However it is unclear that such levels are ever actually attained since (a) the means to measure such levels are, as noted below, lacking in principle, are inaccurate, and (b) 4–6% is generally considered a physiological minimum for human males.[3]" Of course, you'd probably look more anemic than any of the combine prospects so I'd still question the accuracy for some of those.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    Per Wikipedia, "Bodybuilders may compete at ranges even lower than these levels. Certified personal trainers will suggest to male bodybuilders that they aim for a body fat percentage between 2% and 4% by contest time. However it is unclear that such levels are ever actually attained since (a) the means to measure such levels are, as noted below, lacking in principle, are inaccurate, and (b) 4–6% is generally considered a physiological minimum for human males.[3]" Of course, you'd probably look more anemic than any of the combine prospects so I'd still question the accuracy for some of those.
    Yup. Don't forget that when bodybuilders are in contest shape, they are also at their lowest energy and strength levels. It requires lots of fasting and purposefully denying your body fluids to get that low. It would be very bad to show up to the combine in that kind of shape since they test your physical abilities, too.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    My lord he's going to be a monster at 245.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    Pretty bad form on those curls

didn't want to start a new thread but has anyone seen this?

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...ward_a_54.html

So far, Davis is working on adding the corner 3-point shot, more post move and a pull-up jumper off the dribble to his repertoire.
    corner 3's?
    never assume

We knew it was coming, why are you surprised ??

(Thanks for the article).

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He pretty much already had a corner 3 shot. Now he's just gonna be shooting them in game more.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    Bodybuilders essentially starve themselves before a competition practically dehydrating themselves from anywhere betweem 1-3 days and have no fat in their diet leading up to a competition. Typically someone at like 5% body fat in credibly vasular looking and you can really tell when these people do it. As soon as the compeition is over, they typically gorge themselves as well. It is not a healthy practice and something i'd HIGHLY doubt they'd be doing an an athlete. A guy like AD is probably eating everything he sees.

Not only that but BMI and Bodyfat are a lot different. BMI is a cookie cutter design that doctors use to say if the average person is in a healthy weight range based off of studies (if i recall correctly) which is broken into small medium and large frames. It doesn't really account for athletes who have above average muscle on their bodies. I'm pretty certain BMI would have Adrian Peterson listed as Obese.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    didn't want to start a new thread but has anyone seen this?

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...ward_a_54.html

corner 3's?
    If he becomes the stretch 4, does that mean the end of Ryno? Anderson is a good player but a big part of his value is that his spacing ability is needed when Tyreke is in, if AD can do this maybe we can ship him for help elsewhere

If AD becomes a stretch 4, we have made a serious mistake. Would be completely wasting his athleticism.

I am fine with him shooting 60-80 threes per year, but more than that and we just wasted what makes him unique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If AD becomes a stretch 4, we have made a serious mistake. Would be completely wasting his athleticism.

I am fine with him shooting 60-80 threes per year, but more than that and we just wasted what makes him unique

I agree 100% and am somewhat nervous about him working on that three too much. I'm afraid he'll turn into Bosh 2.0

Yeah, Ibaka added it to his game and took 60 this year. That is fine with me. Add a little something to make defenses respect it. But don't let it take away from what makes you special

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I agree 100% and am somewhat nervous about him working on that three too much. I'm afraid he'll turn into Bosh 2.0
    They are running the offense through Davis instead of just using him to pull defenders out the paint and keep them honest. I wouldn't worry.

Thread Information