Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans Pelicans MLE Tournament

As someone who turns 29 in less than a month this thread makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    As someone who turns 29 in less than a month this thread makes me sad.
    tell it to the guy who is 32.

And I understand the difference between real life old and NBA old, but there is so much evidence of 30+ year olds killing it in the NBA. I mean, our new champ has Diaw, Parker, Manu, and Parker all over 30. Some WAY over 30.

Nothing to be afraid of people.
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    New champ? Don't count the Heat out yet. They can still...

...uh...

Yeah, I got nothin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    New champ? Don't count the Heat out yet. They can still...

...uh...

Yeah, I got nothin'.
    I'll never be able to understand how in a series between the same 2 teams 1 year apart, Boris Diaw turns into slow magic johnson and Mario Chalmers gets Space Jam'd

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    tell it to the guy who is 32.

And I understand the difference between real life old and NBA old, but there is so much evidence of 30+ year olds killing it in the NBA. I mean, our new champ has Diaw, Parker, Manu, and Parker all over 30. Some WAY over 30.

Nothing to be afraid of people.
    Anytime someone says they don't want a 29/30 year old I wonder if they'd want LBJ this summer.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I have truly enjoyed reading BSS MLE tourney match up articles and have voted on each. I enjoy reading about these players that we do not always look at so deeply and how they might fit with the Pels.

That said todays write up on Kris Humphries was worthless. I wanted to read about what he can do on the court instead only got what happened in court. Humphries is not a bad player, not great, but a decent NBA player who had nothing written about his game because the writer was to lazy to do research and instead focused on his former circus of a life.

As silly as I found the article I still found myself voting for Humphries, why?, well if all that matters is he was with Kim, then that is good enough for me, it seemed to work for Reggie and the Saints. How can Hamilton beat that?
    Last edited by redrum; 06-13-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

I voted for Humphries too, because of what I knew of him and Hamilton already before the article. Think he could be Jason Smith with health and incredible rebounding.

Anytime someone says they don't want a 29/30 year old I wonder if they'd want LBJ this summer.

Or Darko Milicic.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

In before...

"Lebron would be too old by the time AD hits his prime."

for players who rely on athleticism like gerald wallace 28-29 would be towards the end of his career. A player like tucker who relies on his strength, jumpshot and defensive technique and length it shouldn't bother him.

In before...

"Lebron would be too old by the time AD hits his prime."
    Or

In before....

"We don't have the cap space."

While my Darko Example is weak, LBJ and your typical 29/30 year old are night and day different. Lebron could walk out of the NBA right now and go play wr for the Dolphins and not miss a beat. Lebron is a different kind of person.

just felt like dropping this here, nothing new
    never assume

The world I live in where a dude with no back beat out Ariza makes me sad. I want a recount. . .

Isn't it pretty well known that Ariza wanted out of here in a bad way because he doesn't like Monty?

To be honest, Schwan's piece on sefolosha was unimpressive. Had to go with jefferson judging simply by what i read there...yes he may not be a good defender, but right now, we can get a below average defender as long as he can shoot and keeps teams honest imo. Sefolosha may be the best defender among the two but he's not really a lockdown defender and even if he reverts to his old self, i'd rather give a 1 year deal than a 3 year one...especially if there's a good chance sefolosha's game gets worse.

I took Jefferson too, though I do think there is a chance Sefolosha has a bounce back year if he goes to a team that involves him a little more. I think it was a confidence thing for him by the end there. But if those are the contracts it will take, I would chose Jefferson too

Just an update on Swaggy P:

Nick Young wants multi-year deal with Lakers; willing to take hometown discount

“It depends how much the discount is,” Young said. “But as a player, everyone wants a place they feel comfortable at. I feel comfortable in L.A. But I can’t keep taking these discounts. I need a raise a little bit. But if it’s for the right cost and they’re bringing in players and I fit into the rotation, then I’ll probably take a pay cut.”
    Doesn't mean we can't still get him, but not exactly encouraging either.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post
    Just an update on Swaggy P:

Nick Young wants multi-year deal with Lakers; willing to take hometown discount

Doesn't mean we can't still get him, but not exactly encouraging either.
    You won't find many articles this time of year that have a player saying they want to leave or that the team doesn't want to sign them, yet 60-100 guys switch teams every summer. Morrow is saying he wants to stay and we are saying we want to try to keep him. Phoenix is saying the same with Tucker and Bledsoe, and on and on and on. You can find articles from last summer with Tyreke and the Kings saying the same thing.

Par for the course. When July 1st hits, money talks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    To be honest, Schwan's piece on sefolosha was unimpressive. Had to go with jefferson judging simply by what i read there...yes he may not be a good defender, but right now, we can get a below average defender as long as he can shoot and keeps teams honest imo. Sefolosha may be the best defender among the two but he's not really a lockdown defender and even if he reverts to his old self, i'd rather give a 1 year deal than a 3 year one...especially if there's a good chance sefolosha's game gets worse.
    I voted Jefferson too, but what I really wanted to choose was neither!

Going with blatche...personally, i don't think we need yet another pf right now. Maybe davis will really play more center than pf with time, but it won't be overnight and in any case, i'd rather have someone who actually can defender Cs at his side

Mason won me over with Hill which was quite shocking. Then I checked his measurements. Dude is just under 6'11" and has a 7'1.25" wingspan. He also has a standing reach of 9'. If anyone wanted Vonleh then I don't see why they wouldn't want Hill. He's actually taller, has more weight, they have identical standing reaches. He can obviously play either position and would be cheaper.

Mason won me over with Hill which was quite shocking. Then I checked his measurements. Dude is just under 6'11" and has a 7'1.25" wingspan. He also has a standing reach of 9'. If anyone wanted Vonleh then I don't see why they wouldn't want Hill. He's actually taller, has more weight, they have identical standing reaches. He can obviously play either position and would be cheaper.
    Measueables arent the be all end all, though. Yes, it helps, but Elton Brand defends centers better than guys with longer reach, more height, etc.

Yes, Hill should be able to cover centers on paper, but he can't. He is awful at it. If you have Synergy, go watch for yourself. And if he cant do it by now, I cant believe he will suddenly learn.

I love Hill and I would sign him, but that is because I am fine with AD covering centers. If Dell and Monty want a guy to defend centers in the post, Hill has shown he cant do that

Does Hill have the shooting touch of Vonleh?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Measueables arent the be all end all, though. Yes, it helps, but Elton Brand defends centers better than guys with longer reach, more height, etc.

Yes, Hill should be able to cover centers on paper, but he can't. He is awful at it. If you have Synergy, go watch for yourself. And if he cant do it by now, I cant believe he will suddenly learn.

I love Hill and I would sign him, but that is because I am fine with AD covering centers. If Dell and Monty want a guy to defend centers in the post, Hill has shown he cant do that
    I don't care as much about him at the rim because I see AD as a center. I want Hill because he is super efficient and eats up defensive rebounds and blocks. Mason also pointed out his P&R defense is really good which if I remember correctly was 2nd on your most wanted list this summer.

My question is, is Hill worse than Withey/Ajinca/Smith at guarding centers and if so by how much? If he's 10% worse I don't really care because he gives you so much more rebounding and offensive efficiency.

I really want Hill for two reasons, 1) let him take the beating for AD for the next couple years and 2) rebound the ball / hustle on offense. If he can do that for 4m/yr I'm fine with it. When you just straight up compare Blatche to Hill it's hard to make the argument for Blatche unless he's just so much better defensive which I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Does Hill have the shooting touch of Vonleh?
    I haven't watched a ton of Vonleh so I won't speak to how he compares to him. What I can say is Hill is very efficient within 10ft and shows a touch out to 16ft where he wasn't awful (about average). However he knows where his bread is buttered and sticks within 10ft for the most part. His FT % is the main thing that keeps his Efficiency down a bit because he only shoots about 65%. He's a big who hustles and comes up with rebounds. He'd instantly upon arrival challenge AD as the best rebounder on the team and might actually be better at this time.

Thread Information