Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans Pelicans MLE Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I would go the other way. Use the MLE for a wing and then use the cap space next year once we dump Gordon for a C.

Only way I want to add a center is if he is a definite huge upgrade over what we got.

Also, when thinking about Gordon deals, a high priced center seems the most likely route: Chandler, McGee, Hibbert, Sanders, B. Lopez.

If I got 18 to spend, figuring Gordon will be gone one way or the other, I would rather budget 5-6 for the SF and 12-13 for the C.
    I guess it all depends on if you see AD as our C. I do so I'd rather not spend the money on one that will just command minutes from AD and Ryno.

I see AD as the C, been begging for it for two yrs but if Monty doesn't, nothing I can do about it but hope that if he is gonna play a C next to him; it is a very good center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

I see AD as the C, been begging for it for two yrs but if Monty doesn't, nothing I can do about it but hope that if he is gonna play a C next to him; it is a very good center

I'd rather Dell force his hand by bringing in a really good SF and having the best frontcourt players be AD and Ryno.

Heck, honestly I think Monty understands. Before Ryno's injury AD was playing 55% of his minutes at C. I don't think it's too far fetched that injuries force Monty's hand. Especially when you figure we lost 2 of our 3 players that could play PF. He used Withey as a PF late in the season for goodness sake.

Besides I've heard you comment multiple times on the podcast that the arguments we were making at the end of the season was about guys that Monty most likely wouldn't have been playing if we weren't so injured. I'm not set just yet on chalking up the AD/Ryno combo as never going to happen under Monty.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Had to go Blatche over Young. This is a completely biased and unfair assessment on my part, but I just can't see Young making the necessary sacrifices to come here and help us turn our team around. In LA, even though the team was crappy, he was still in LA and enjoying the bright lights of one of the world's most glamorous cities. There's something about him that tells me that put a pep in his step. You can say the same about Blatche and Brooklyn except Brook Lopez's return means less of a role. I think both players have reputation for being immature, but I think Swaggy needs the spotlight. New Orleans + AD+ Jrue +Tyreke = not enough attention let alone shots for Swaggy P. Annnnd if AD is ultimately a C. 3 year deal for a guy like Blatche is the perfect bridge to that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Had to go Blatche over Young. This is a completely biased and unfair assessment on my part, but I just can't see Young making the necessary sacrifices to come here and help us turn our team around. In LA, even though the team was crappy, he was still in LA and enjoying the bright lights of one of the world's most glamorous cities. There's something about him that tells me that put a pep in his step. You can say the same about Blatche and Brooklyn except Brook Lopez's return means less of a role. I think both players have reputation for being immature, but I think Swaggy needs the spotlight. New Orleans + AD+ Jrue +Tyreke = not enough attention let alone shots for Swaggy P. Annnnd if AD is ultimately a C. 3 year deal for a guy like Blatche is the perfect bridge to that scenario.
    Yeah I agree with this. I begged that we got Nick Young as our 2 when we still had Paul and West. I thought he would be the perfect compliment to Paul. Now I just don't think we have a big enough roll for Swaggy P

My choices would be:

Bracket 1: Williams
    Bracket 2: Blatche
    Bracket 3: Sefolosha
    Bracket 4: Hamilton

Small forward is the bigger need, we have serviceable centers plus ad and ryno will be the closers. We have nothing at small forward unless u plan on starting gordon and putting tyreke at the 3. Id like to only do a 1 year contract then get a huge free agent small forward next year before davis gets his big deal. It just sounds like the best thing to do.

Id try to get a decent small forward on a 1 year deal.

Ajinca and whithey are not serviceable. Jason smith is, he's too shot happy for me though.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Ajinca and whithey are not serviceable. Jason smith is, he's too shot happy for me though.
    What specifically makes Ajinca and Withey not serviceable?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Withey is serviceable and will be a better defender than Smith and more efficient offensively in time.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Can somebody try to sell me on Jordan Hamilton because I am having a tough time.

One caveat - You can not use, "He is only 23." as part of your argument. I dont mind saying guys might improve if there is evidence that he has been improving. For instance, Austin improved across the board, so I can project more improvement. But if a guy has been in the league 3 yrs and not improved, you cant use the future imaginary improvement as part of your argument IMO. So, with that in mind, can anybody sell me on Hamilton, because I cant see it.

[MichaelMcNamara;1218838]Can somebody try to sell me on Jordan Hamilton because I am having a tough time.

One caveat - You can not use, "He is only 23." as part of your argument. I dont mind saying guys might improve if there is evidence that he has been improving. For instance, Austin improved across the board, so I can project more improvement. But if a guy has been in the league 3 yrs and not improved, you cant use the future imaginary improvement as part of your argument IMO. So, with that in mind, can anybody sell me on Hamilton, because I cant see it.[/QUOTE]

I like that he is a good three point shooter, good rebounder and good enough defender.

OnlY reason I like him over tucker is his age and he is more versatile offensively.

If by more versatile, you mean he tries more things and fails at them more often, then yes. He shot 39% this year. Thirty-nine percent! Under 48% in the restricted area, which is terrible. Rebounding is above avg, I will give you that, but that is all I can get excited about. Everything else is below avg to terrible.

And what does the age matter if he has shown no signs of improvement? Being young and bad is no better than being old and bad.

People see an age of a guy and think he's going to improve. When looking at a FA, i like to think; if he doesn't grow at all from now on, would I still want this guy on my team?

I'd say he's an ok rebounder, below average at best.
    A Liability at the line.
    But luckily couldn't get to the line if he had a pen to draw it.
    A below average to average defender.
    Has a pretty high usage rate for a guy who should be blending into the background.

He's a pretty ok 3 point shooter.

I'd say i don't want that on our team. I think everyone was so sick of Aminu not hitting a 3 they'd take a rotten apple out of the bargain bin if that apple could hit a 3.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Exactly my theory. Aminu is so bad that people are happy with anything. Marvin Williams is this way too.

Can't be how we measure how good the player is IMO

New Orleans Pelicans MLE Tournament

Can somebody try to sell me on Jordan Hamilton because I am having a tough time.

One caveat - You can not use, "He is only 23." as part of your argument. I dont mind saying guys might improve if there is evidence that he has been improving. For instance, Austin improved across the board, so I can project more improvement. But if a guy has been in the league 3 yrs and not improved, you cant use the future imaginary improvement as part of your argument IMO. So, with that in mind, can anybody sell me on Hamilton, because I cant see it.
    Easy. He has good size for a SF, has shown himself to be an above average rebounder, a solid 3pt shooter (36% on just over 3 a game), and he will come relatively cheap. Worst case he is a good backup and we need 2 SFs anyway.

I think there's also plenty of upside that has nothing to do with age and more to do with minutes. This is his first year averaging over 10 minutes a game and he showed his rebounding, 3pt shooting, and defense wasn't a fluke. He's also been stuck behind some really good SFs in Gally, then Chandler, then Parsons.

I think you put him in a system where he's not asked to create and instead can spot up from 3pt and he will just fine, not to mention his above average rebounding which will really help us. He seems very much like the 3 and D that most people, including you and I, have cried for in a SF. The real question is other than 2pt FG% what else is there not to like about him?

PJ Tucker shot a blistering 1.7% better from 2pt range. The difference seems to be Hamilton realizes where he's best because he took 53% of his shots from 3pt, while Tucker took 69% of his shots from 2pt. Put it to you like this, Hamilton played 40% of the minutes Tucker did this year, and still took more 3pt attempts than him. Heck this was the first time I actually compared Hamilton to Tucker and I like Hamilton even better than before after doing the comparison.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-07-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: yes

So, put him in a system where he can just sit behind the 3 point line and let others create for him. Like Houston? Where he shot 39% and had the worst PER of his career. Where he couldnt sniff a minute in the playoffs and got jumped in the rotation by Troy Daniels. And the argument for more minutes might hold water if he didnt get worse the more minutes he got.

Now, if he comes for the min or near min, sure I can be okay with him as the backup. But is he that much better than Miller, who will come for the min and has 2 years in the system under his belt?

And yes, Tucker took more 2's, but what you left out is this also resulted in a FT rate that is twice as high. It is okay to take more 2's if it gets you to the line.

Man, it gets worse.

The offense in Both Denver and Houston was far worse with Hamilton on. Check out these numbers:

Denver (Hamilton off): 106.8 Hamilton on: 101.5 Difference: -5.3
    Houston (Hamilton off): 111.6 Hamilton On: 104.2 Difference: -7.4

In his last two months in Houston: Offensive rating was 94 Defensive Rating was 109

I try to be open minded, but I cant do it with this guy. Others can hope to sign him and if he ends up here, I will root for him. But I want nothing to do with Hamilton.

So, put him in a system where he can just sit behind the 3 point line and let others create for him. Like Houston? Where he shot 39% and had the worst PER of his career. Where he couldnt sniff a minute in the playoffs and got jumped in the rotation by Troy Daniels. And the argument for more minutes might hold water if he didnt get worse the more minutes he got.

Now, if he comes for the min or near min, sure I can be okay with him as the backup. But is he that much better than Miller, who will come for the min and has 2 years in the system under his belt?

And yes, Tucker took more 2's, but what you left out is this also resulted in a FT rate that is twice as high. It is okay to take more 2's if it gets you to the line.
    Why do you keep trying to go back to overall FG and turn a blind eye to the fact that he took over 53% of his attempts from 3pt, so of course his overall FG% is lower. Like I pointed out, compare him to PJ Tucker. He only shot 1.7% worse than Tucker from 2pt and only 2.9% worse from 3pt with a much higher attempt rate. The 39% is a nice shock stat to try and make him look bad but when you dig deeper it makes perfect sense why it's lower. I also find it hilarious that you are trying to point to his PER and yet you moan over PJ Tucker. PJ Tucker posted his highest PER this year, and yet it was only .6 higher than Hamilton's. Want to count FT rate? Ok. Look at their TS%. Hamilton is 3.3% less than Tucker. Want to weight 3pt attempts more than 2pt attempts? Ok. Hamilton's eFG was .7% from Tucker's. Let's look at TRB%. Just over 1% difference. Assist %, .2% difference. Stl%, .1% different. Blk%, .9% in Hamilton's favor. Tov%, 1.7% difference in Hamilton's favor. I just don't see this huge difference between the two that you are trying to say exists.

I don't understand what Daniels has to do with anything. Daniels played for over 80% of his minutes at SG. He got minutes in the playoffs because Beverley had the flu. Daniels didn't put Hamilton on the bench. Parsons did. Where he averaged 42 minutes a game this playoff.

Man, it gets worse.

The offense in Both Denver and Houston was far worse with Hamilton on. Check out these numbers:

Denver (Hamilton off): 106.8 Hamilton on: 101.5 Difference: -5.3
    Houston (Hamilton off): 111.6 Hamilton On: 104.2 Difference: -7.4

In his last two months in Houston: Offensive rating was 94 Defensive Rating was 109

I try to be open minded, but I cant do it with this guy. Others can hope to sign him and if he ends up here, I will root for him. But I want nothing to do with Hamilton.
    How do the 2 compare at eFG%?

J ham and Tucker that is.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    How do the 2 compare at eFG%?

J ham and Tucker that is.
    Let me Google that for you. Last season totals:
    Jordan Hamilton: .484 eFG
    PJ Tucker: .491 eFG

But I prefer TS% because free throws are valuable besides representing better how many pps you get with them.

Hamilton: .507
    Tucker: .540

I don't always take stock in "player x couldn't get minutes" because sometimes there are players like Lin who's talents were hidden until they got a chance but it also doesn't NOT mean something as well. I can't say I have seen a lot of Hamilton and the defensive numbers aren't great. Couple that with the fact that most of the threes he does shoot are from above the break where we don't need help and I'm less inclined to have faith that he is the answer but who knows?

I hope we can pry Martel Webster, Corey Brewer (although I'm not in love with the player option in his contract), or Quincy Pondexter (as a backup, most likely).
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Let me Google that for you. Last season totals:
    Jordan Hamilton: .484 eFG
    PJ Tucker: .491 eFG

But I prefer TS% because free throws are valuable besides representing better how many pps you get with them.

Hamilton: .507
    Tucker: .540

I don't always take stock in "player x couldn't get minutes" because sometimes there are players like Lin who's talents were hidden until they got a chance but it also doesn't NOT mean something as well. I can't say I have seen a lot of Hamilton and the defensive numbers aren't great. Couple that with the fact that most of the threes he does shoot are from above the break where we don't need help and I'm less inclined to have faith that he is the answer but who knows?

I hope we can pry Martel Webster, Corey Brewer (although I'm not in love with the player option in his contract), or Quincy Pondexter (as a backup, most likely).
    Depending how our offseason plays out I can see multiple scenarios where Id rather do a S&T for Webster than only bring in Hamilton. Most of my liking him has to do with how cheap he can come, which is great for a backup. I guess I'm in the camp of wanting to bring in 2 SFs this offseason because I don't think Aminu has shown enough for his price and I don't think Miller has shown enough in any way to still be in the NBA. I think it was a big mistake to not sign one of the many mid level SFs last offseason just to try and lie to Gordon about what Reke was coming to do.

So it looks like we agree - Hamilton could be a nice backup if he comes super cheap, but if he is starting for us next year, we are in serious trouble.

I would be ore than fine with Webster and Hamilton. I would be less than thrilled if Hamilton was getting significant minutes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Why do you keep trying to go back to overall FG and turn a blind eye to the fact that he took over 53% of his attempts from 3pt, so of course his overall FG% is lower. Like I pointed out, compare him to PJ Tucker. He only shot 1.7% worse than Tucker from 2pt and only 2.9% worse from 3pt with a much higher attempt rate. The 39% is a nice shock stat to try and make him look bad but when you dig deeper it makes perfect sense why it's lower. I also find it hilarious that you are trying to point to his PER and yet you moan over PJ Tucker. PJ Tucker posted his highest PER this year, and yet it was only .6 higher than Hamilton's. Want to count FT rate? Ok. Look at their TS%. Hamilton is 3.3% less than Tucker. Want to weight 3pt attempts more than 2pt attempts? Ok. Hamilton's eFG was .7% from Tucker's. Let's look at TRB%. Just over 1% difference. Assist %, .2% difference. Stl%, .1% different. Blk%, .9% in Hamilton's favor. Tov%, 1.7% difference in Hamilton's favor. I just don't see this huge difference between the two that you are trying to say exists.

I don't understand what Daniels has to do with anything. Daniels played for over 80% of his minutes at SG. He got minutes in the playoffs because Beverley had the flu. Daniels didn't put Hamilton on the bench. Parsons did. Where he averaged 42 minutes a game this playoff.
    Not a big stat guy, but this is about as good of an stat argument as you can make. MM does seem to be off base attacking Hamilton in favor of Tucker. Just off of advance stats, which is just a portion of what a player really does IMO.

Thread Information