Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: New Orleans Pelicans MLE Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by aas3452 View Post
    Can tucker hit The 3?
    I think everyone need to watch this video to realize how great Tucker really is http://youtu.be/BOr9nZQPEcw

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I think everyone need to watch this video to realize how great Tucker really is http://youtu.be/BOr9nZQPEcw
    Give me all of that. . .

Ariza took a whopping SIX 3pointers a game and made an incredible 41% of them.

Not only did he shoot a ton of them, but he was making them at a great mark.

Plus he was very good defensively as well.

I love Tucker, but if he could come as cheap as we are all hoping he would, why would phoenix let him go in the first place?

What if Tucker's number are a fluke? Never really followed him closely, but he appeared to take a leap this season, might it be a contract year mode for him as well??

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa Brazil View Post
    What if Tucker's number are a fluke? Never really followed him closely, but he appeared to take a leap this season, might it be a contract year mode for him as well??
    I certainly could see thinking that. It's funny people try to say Ariza only turns it on in contract years (false) by then pine for Tucker who is having his best year in a contract year as well.

As far as if he is having a fluke year, I don't think so. His defense was praised as soon as he got back in the league from Europe. His production has been in line with the amount of minutes he has gotten.

The only stat that made what some might consider a "fluke" jump is his 3pt shooting which jumped about 6%. However the previous season he was taking less than one a game and this past season he was taking 2.5 a game. So the jump might be accounted for by simply being a better sample size. All other stats are within a few % of each other so certainly nothing that shows him making a contract year type leap.

The only thing that is more suspicious to me with Ariza is that he dipped and then has a great year. Tucker was never good enough or in the league long enough to dip, so maybe it isn't fair, but I am suspicious of the guy who dips, then rises. Usually, he finds his way back to the mean.

Which would still be solid, but I think Ariza would want a bigger role than we can give him. I think Tucker would be fine with playing 30 mins and only taking 4 or 5 shots if the team won. I don't know if the same would be true for Ariza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

I was excited about this until I saw the names. Can't wait to read the writers' viewpoints so I can know more about these guys and how they'd fit in with the Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The only thing that is more suspicious to me with Ariza is that he dipped and then has a great year. Tucker was never good enough or in the league long enough to dip, so maybe it isn't fair, but I am suspicious of the guy who dips, then rises. Usually, he finds his way back to the mean.

Which would still be solid, but I think Ariza would want a bigger role than we can give him. I think Tucker would be fine with playing 30 mins and only taking 4 or 5 shots if the team won. I don't know if the same would be true for Ariza

Possibly. But he did battle injury his previous two years and it could be said he was adjusting to a starter role and minutes the two after he signed his contract. It might also be that whole maturing thing that players do when they get to Tucker and Ariza's age.

Even if he regressed to career averages he's a guy that will give you 35% from 3pt on 3.5 attempts a game, just over 10% rebound rate, a 12% assist rate, and a usage of 18%. I also think he's a guy that can get hot and win a game for you with his shooting. I don't think he would have a problem with his role of being asked to be a 4/5th option. I think that's exactly what he was for the Wizards this year. Wall, Beal, and Nene then a toss up between Ariza and Gortat.

Sadly either way I don't think he reaches FA so given that I like Tucker and think there's a higher chance of getting him since the Suns have to focus on locking up Bledsoe and they still have Marcus Morris who is younger and needs to start so he can gel with their core. Offer a 3yr/16m and I think that's enough.

He took the 3rd most shots on that roster this season and averaged 11 per game. Not a ton, but I think the wing we add is a 6-8 shot per game guy. If Ariza was willing to do that and gave me his career numbers, I would be fine with him. Its why he is the #2 wing on my list. I just love PJ Tucker.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He took the 3rd most shots on that roster this season and averaged 11 per game. Not a ton, but I think the wing we add is a 6-8 shot per game guy. If Ariza was willing to do that and gave me his career numbers, I would be fine with him. Its why he is the #2 wing on my list. I just love PJ Tucker.
    He took the 4th most shots behind Wall, Beal, and Nene. Like I said, 4th/5th option. And he did that on a team that had middle of the pack pace. I think if we are building a team that is all about transition and a higher pace him taking 11,12,13 shots a game is fine. Like I said his usage was 18%, he's not anywhere near a Nick Young type chucker.

But it's not a huge issue anyway. We just have Tucker and Ariza flipped. Honestly, if we get either I'm super excited for next year with or without having moved Gordon.

Serious question... because I don't think Trev left here on the best of terms with Monty. I remember Trev was benched as a healthy scratch for the last month or so of the season... is he really an option?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Serious question... because I don't think Trev left here on the best of terms with Monty. I remember Trev was benched as a healthy scratch for the last month or so of the season... is he really an option?
    I remember the same thing and doubt we would be high on his list.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    He seemed pretty non committal to Washington in a recent interview (around the end of season and before the playoff run), he wasn't opposed to returning, but I got the impression he was going to follow the money. You'd probably have to go all in to have a shot (cut all the cutables and give Ariza all of your cap space, about 4/$28). But even that might not be enough. Expectations are that the Wizards will keep him and I saw a rumor recently that Charlotte had interest. He might be out of our price range even if we went all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I love Tucker, but if he could come as cheap as we are all hoping he would, why would phoenix let him go in the first place?
    I have the same fear. After watching his highlight video why would phoenix let this man walk. His defense on Kobe and Harden was phenomenal. like I'm scared there is a big secret, like he tortures kittens for fun or something

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The GM said, and I quote - "We have a certain value on PJ and if someone exceeds that value, we will cross that bridge when we get there."

In addition, I have been told by some PHX writers that Deng is their top SF target and if they get him, they aren't going to pay Tucker 5-6 mil to be a backup, especially since they have Gerald Green too swinging between the 2 and 3 and they also have multiple 1st rounders, one of which they can easily use on a swing.

I think that if they can get another SF we can lure him and then work a S&T where we give them Pierre or Babbitt- two guys who would fit well in their system - and they would also get a 5 million dollar TPE in that situation. It would have to be something like that.

Apr 2 - PJ Tucker says he wants to retire with the Suns
    Apr 17 - "If my deal is done before summer league, you will see @PJTUCKER17." ~ Tucker on whether he will play in Vegas again
    May 29 - PJ Tucker in the building, hanging out with @Suns staff during pre-draft workouts.
    May 31 - P.J. Tucker, Robert Sarver & Ryan McDonough in the house watching the Mercury. Night cap entertainment after q long days work. #Suns

Doesn't seem like he's going anywhere.

he migh not be going, but who knows what is the Suns' plan? players are coming and moving, they are not - usually - decision makers
    as MM mentioned above

We have guys working out here every summer that we dont keep the next year. We are talking up Ajinca, Babbtt, Withey, etc right now and helping them improve their game. If we get a chance to upgrade, they are gone in a blink.

The rumor is that they are going after Deng. If they land Deng, Tucker is gone. If they dont, he probably stays

There are no rumors on this at all. Pure speculation.

What is a rumor then? Fact?

There's a difference between a wishful thinking of a Suns blogger and an actual rumor reported by a Woj or someone with connections in the Suns front office, isn't it? It's like saying that there's a rumor that the Pelicans are interested in PJ Tucker because you and other Pelicans fans have a crush on him.

Well then if that is the criteria, there are only like 2 or 3 rumors right now.

As for fact- the Suns GM has said that they have a value attached to Tucker and if somebody goes above that, they will cross that bridge at that time.

Point is- they aren't keeping him at all costs. Is it probable? No. But no single acquisition in a vacuum is probable. Dell has shown a very specific pattern. People think RFAs are hard to get. Dell doesn't seem to think so

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Tucker is a pitbull on defense with great hands/wingspan.

Pair him with an Okafor signing and I don't think our defense will be questionable at all.

Can we get BOTH?

We could get both if we did a sign and trade for one. Maybe PHX takes Pierre, Ely, Babbitt for Tucker if they land a good SF. Could cut Ely and owe him nothing, thereby getting the other two for about 1.4 mil next year. Two guys who would fit well in their system.

Essentially it would be like what Orlando did with Ryno- get back cheap assets for something you were going to let go anyway

Thread Information