Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New Orleans Pelicans MLE Tournament

New Orleans Pelicans MLE Tournament

Really looking forward to this and everybody's feedback over the next month. So many ways Dell can go, so impossible to predict

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...le-tournament/
    @mcnamara247

This is really cool. Do we cast our vote in the comments? Or is there a poll?

The debates will start Monday for each matchup and there will be a poll after each point-counterpoint between the two writers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to take an early guess at the winner of each bracket. Not necessarily who I'd pick but to guess at who gets the most votes. Ariza, Hill, Thabo, Granger.

Personally I'd go Ariza, Blatche, Thabo, Tucker and I'd want Ariza. However, I don't think the Wizards will let him go so my goal would be Blatche and then try to S&T for Webster.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The different lengths of the contracts make it really interesting and complicated.

If I assume this is the last season we're committed to Gordon because he opts out, I'm inclined to sign a player to a shorter deal. If we assume we move Gordon for a Center like Hibbert or McGee, I'm inclined to go with one of the small forwards.

So basically, all roads lead back to Gordon again.

Not much of a competition..Ariza is much better than the other players, and may get more than the MLE

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Not much of a competition..Ariza is much better than the other players, and may get more than the MLE
    I disagree. I would prefer Tucker.
    My question is could 2 players on lesser contracts win to split the MLE or can there only be one player? If that makes sense

I shy away from anything beyond this upcoming season that's more than $5m per until I resolve Gordon.

Therefor Ariza, Blatche, Tucker, and Hawes are off my wish list. This signing is less important than what we'll do next offseason. Granger or Richard Jefferson would fit what I'm looking for. Vets at a key position that defenders have to respect, that also provide playoff experience to a young group.

God, I want Tucker.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I want to take an early guess at the winner of each bracket. Not necessarily who I'd pick but to guess at who gets the most votes. Ariza, Hill, Thabo, Granger.

Personally I'd go Ariza, Blatche, Thabo, Tucker and I'd want Ariza. However, I don't think the Wizards will let him go so my goal would be Blatche and then try to S&T for Webster.
    I agree, it should be interesting. It is not which player you think is better but HOW you want to build. Do you want to maintain maximum flexibility or do you think a guy in this years class is the answer? A vet for the locker room or a young guy who still has some upside? In between?

I am looking forward to the debates and outside of 1 or 2 matches, I have no idea who will win

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I agree, it should be interesting. It is not which player you think is better but HOW you want to build. Do you want to maintain maximum flexibility or do you think a guy in this years class is the answer? A vet for the locker room or a young guy who still has some upside? In between?

I am looking forward to the debates and outside of 1 or 2 matches, I have no idea who will win

You have to decide 1, 2, or 3 years. Then you have to decide wing or frontcourt. After that I think the answers become obvious.

For me it's 1 or 2 years and it's a wing.
    Marvin Williams, Caron Butler, Danny Granger (the Pride of Grace King), or Richard Jefferson

I think Anthony Morrow needs to be part of that list.

The person I want most from this tournament is definitely PJ Tucker. I feel he would fit well with our system and our current core of players!!
    Follow me on Twitter: @WeAreSX2

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    FYI, I've been talking to a couple guys that work with me who are from OKC. They are saying that Sefolosha kinda sucks. He's lost a step, which has impacted the best part of his game (defense). I was interested in him this offseason, but after talking to those guys, not so much.

I think the best fit for this team is easily Spencer Hawes. A 26 year old young veteran 7 footer who does not demand the ball, instead keeps it moving, but can score when asked. MM you always say you love how the Spurs play, Hawes is the perfect Diaw/Splitter/Bonner type. This would also give Monty his 7 footer who he feels he needs, big upgrade on Steamer.

Now, I have no idea what kind of defender Hawes is or what kind of money he is looking for (maybe sign and trade with Clev), but I do believe SFs are easier to find than big men . Tyreke can still play the 3, so a big should be the #1 priority.

If Gordon returns, a team with Holliday, Evans, Davis, Anderson, Gordon, Hawes, and fill out the rest should be a very competitive team. If Gordon is gone, then even more possibilities open up.
    Last edited by redrum; 06-01-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    FYI, I've been talking to a couple guys that work with me who are from OKC. They are saying that Sefolosha kinda sucks. He's lost a step, which has impacted the best part of his game (defense). I was interested in him this offseason, but after talking to those guys, not so much.
    I just dont buy it personally. They still put him on great players throughout most of the season and he was productive defensively. They just couldnt keep him on the court because they already had a black hole in Perkins and Thabo's shot stopped falling. But guys dont just lose their shooting touch in their late 20s. It seemed mental. I also imagine it is hard to sit around all day while two guys dribble around and hoist shots while you dont touch the ball for like 8-10 mins in real time and then you are just expected to hit at a 40% clip when you do get it.

Maybe I am wrong and maybe he just never shoots well again, but that seems like the more unlikely outcome IMO. And even if he has "lost a step" on D, Thabo minus a step is better than anyone other than Tucker in our price range IMO

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I think the best fit for this team is easily Spencer Hawes. A 26 year old young veteran 7 footer who does not demand the ball, instead keeps it moving, but can score when asked. MM you always say you love how the Spurs play, Hawes is the perfect Diaw/Splitter/Bonner type. This would also give Monty his 7 footer who he feels he needs, big upgrade on Steamer.

Now, I have no idea what kind of defender Hawes is or what kind of money he is looking for (maybe sign and trade with Clev), but I do believe SFs are easier to find than big men . Tyreke can still play the 3, so a big should be the #1 priority.

If Gordon returns, a team with Holliday, Evans, Davis, Anderson, Gordon, Hawes, and fill out the rest should be a very competitive team. If Gordon is gone, then even more possibilities open up.
    My biggest worry with Hawes is his defense at the time. When AD is the one who hedges, it leaves the other big very vulnerable. Basically, he has to protect the rim if the guard hits the roller and Hawes is soft when it comes to that when you watch the video. Offensively, I like the fit. On defense, I am hesitant and we need more D than O right now

If he was a liability on the floor during the most important time of the season (playoffs)... What does that say? He was garbage for 2 of the 3 series this playoffs. I know a lot of fans are calling for Scott Brooks head, but benching Thabo and starting Reggie was a good move.

You may hope and desire him, and that's cool. I just don't want to see another steamer come in (someone to play spot minutes and defense... And can't even do that)

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    If he was a liability on the floor during the most important time of the season (playoffs)... What does that say? He was garbage for 2 of the 3 series this playoffs. I know a lot of fans are calling for Scott Brooks head, but benching Thabo and starting Reggie was a good move.

You may hope and desire him, and that's cool. I just don't want to see another steamer come in (someone to play spot minutes and defense... And can't even do that)
    Never said I desired him, but WHY was he bad? That is the question I want answered. Is it more likely that he just lost his shooting touch, never to be found again or that it was something specific outside of loss of skill that caused his numbers to plummet?

I just rarely see a guy lose his shooting touch forever at the age of 28/29. That is not the thing that goes. So what happened?

I dont know. But if I had to bet, I wouldnt bet on him just loosing it forever. Just doesnt make sense to me. Not usual. Maybe he is the unusual exception, but I would bet against it.

Never said I desired him, but WHY was he bad? That is the question I want answered. Is it more likely that he just lost his shooting touch, never to be found again or that it was something specific outside of loss of skill that caused his numbers to plummet?

I just rarely see a guy lose his shooting touch forever at the age of 28/29. That is not the thing that goes. So what happened?

I dont know. But if I had to bet, I wouldnt bet on him just loosing it forever. Just doesnt make sense to me. Not usual. Maybe he is the unusual exception, but I would bet against it.
    I don't know why he was bad. Maybe he'll come cheap. But he'll be 30/31 when he plays for us (birthday was a month ago)... so I'd rather use the MLE on someone a little younger IMO

Bruce Bowen didnt start playing well until he was 31. Played great until he was 35,36.

I am not as afraid of 30 year olds as most. Especially when they are role players. Seems like the best teams the last two years arent either.

He is not at the top of my list, but I think it is a good opportunity to buy low on a guy who will have a huge chip on his shoulder next year. And by all accounts, a good locker room guy who has played on a winning team the last few years. Not on the top of my list, but still ahead of guys like Marvin Williams or Jordan Hamilton for me.

And by all accounts, a good locker room guy who has played on a winning team the last few years. Not on the top of my list, but still ahead of guys like Marvin Williams or Jordan Hamilton for me.
    I agreed 100% with you there.

I'd personally love to get Andray Blatche... but I think he could command more than an MLE.

My personal wing rankings in this tourney, considering contract and all, probably go:

Tucker
    Ariza
    Thabo
    Richard Jefferson

My personal wing rankings in this tourney, considering contract and all, probably go:

Tucker
    Ariza
    Thabo
    Richard Jefferson
    Can tucker hit The 3?

Top 5 in the entire NBA in corner 3's made this year despite incredibly low usage

Thread Information