Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Morrow to opt out of his contract

Pelicans Morrow to opt out of his contract

http://hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/an...row-to-opt-out

No big surprise I suppose. Can we afford to bring him back?
    the Legend has spoken!

We shall see. I would guess he would be a pretty high priority for Demps unless the price gets way too high.

Smart move on his part. I don't think we were expecting this when we signed him (he was living on Dallas' bench and he supposedly asked Monty to look for him in FA). I hope we can keep him, but he showed he is more than a vet minimum contract.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 05-29-2014 at 11:03 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

This was expected by pretty much everyone. Now the only question is his asking price.

Love him. Good locker room guy, AD, rivers and all the young guys loved him as well. However, he's as good as gone. A contender will see the need for his shooting ability and sign him to come off their bench. Hopefully we can somehow bring him back, if not best of luck to him.

Hope they bring him back he was one of the few "high energy" guys we had.
    His energy and enthusiasm would get me jacked sitting at home so I'd imagine it did the same for team mates.
    ....all the 3's are nice too. (defense not so much)

My guess when looking back at similar players at similar ages is something like 2 years between 4.5 and 5.5 mil total.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    My guess when looking back at similar players at similar ages is something like 2 years between 4.5 and 5.5 mil total.
    If I could lock him up for a 3rd year I'd do it. 3yr/6.5m total?

The more I look at it, 1 of 3 things are going to have to happen for us to re-sign Morrow IMO:

1. Gordon is moved for a big or a wing

2. Aminu is part of a S&T for a big or wing

3. Trade Rivers and/or Pierre as part of a package for a big or a wing

I think Dell and Monty's priorities go:

1a.) Small Forward
    1b.) Center
    3. Morrow

Without doing one of the three things above it is going to be close to impossible to re-sign Morrow IMO. Unless Morrow takes the biannual (2 yrs/4.2 mil) you just cant fudge the numbers enough to accomplish all three things.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    The more I look at it, 1 of 3 things are going to have to happen for us to re-sign Morrow IMO:

1. Gordon is moved for a big or a wing

2. Aminu is part of a S&T for a big or wing

3. Trade Rivers and/or Pierre as part of a package for a big or a wing

I think Dell and Monty's priorities go:

1a.) Small Forward
    1b.) Center
    3. Morrow

Without doing one of the three things above it is going to be close to impossible to re-sign Morrow IMO. Unless Morrow takes the biannual (2 yrs/4.2 mil) you just cant fudge the numbers enough to accomplish all three things.
    I don't know squat about anything, but I like the chances....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

if it's a choice between morrow for 5 mil and j hamilton for 6 mil im going for hamilton

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'd like to see Morrow come back but...doesn't seem possible right now.

Unless Dell does something...drastic?

2 and 3 on my list don't seem that drastic to me. As I said a while ago, finding a partner for an Aminu sign and trade might be the key to the whole offseason. Hope someone likes him more than we do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 and 3 on my list don't seem that drastic to me. As I said a while ago, finding a partner for an Aminu sign and trade might be the key to the whole offseason. Hope someone likes him more than we do

hopefully there's a team full of shooters that needs a big athletic rebounder.

Why does a sign and trade matter for aminu though? We get to keep his bird rights and use on another player or something?

Morrow to opt out of his contract

Somebody is gonna sign him. Not like he will be out of the league. Just a matter of that team doing us a solid and making it a sign and trade as opposed to straight up signing him

It helps us because it can get us a trade exception to use and that still leaves us our other exceptions, including the full MLE

Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 05-29-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Somebody is gonna sign him. Not like he will be out of the league. Just a matter of that team doing us a solid and making it a sign and trade as opposed to straight up signing him

What do we gain from a sign and trade rather than releasing him?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    What do we gain from a sign and trade rather than releasing him?
    Anything and not just losing him?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    wont get anything good for him, unless a sign and trade gains us some way to keep his bird rights or something regarding the salary cap I would rather just let him go and choose where to spend his money.

I think MM was referring to something salary cap related.

You can't use cap room AND the MLE. But you can use Aminu's rights to essentially create another space to trade a guy in to. Then, you still have Bird Rights on Smith, Roberts, etc

It is somewhat complicated and something I know people can't usually fully grasp, but long story short- outside of moving Gordon, the second thing we should hope for is that we can execute some sign and trades with our own free agents

Would be nice. However, he sat unsigned last year with no one beating down his door. Maybe we just offered too much (as I was shocked we gave him that much) and scared others off.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    see what i mean?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    see what i mean?
    Nope. I'm drunk so forgive me, but all
    I read was he thinks we should sign and trade our FAs to get something instead of nothing.

As far as him opting out, he was making the minimum. Can he get more than the minimum? So it's pretty obvious for him to opt out.
    The only way he'd take it is if he was injured for the next year. I really hope we can keep him. As we look forward I think we'll overlook what he did for us, what he can do for us, and what a leader he was. I hate that we kept Aminu last year. I can't imagine a team would be willing to do a sign and trade for him but I hope someone bites on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

The most realistic S&T I can think of is Aminu for Jared Dudley. He was completely left out of their rotation and that team is desperate for some rebounding off the bench. Dudley has one yr left on his deal. Do that, give Okafor a chance for a yr and re-sign Morrow.

Man, this would be so much easier if we could move Gordon. Do that and Morrow is a lock to stay. Reason number 419 why I want that guy gone.

I thought we had declined Aminu's team option, thus making him an unrestricted free agent this summer. Why would a team do a sign and trade with us if they can just sign him? Or because he was signed to the same amount he was supposed to make had we picked the option up, it counts as we picked it up and makes him restricted?

Thread Information