Pelicans Report

Thread: Why are Super Stars treated differently?

Why are Super Stars treated differently?

I just hear Bill Simmons say that LBJ was treated with less respect tonight than any Super star in recent history, and that Super Stars should get a little bit more respect.

He isn't the first to say that either (ask anyone on ESPN, or people commentating games when a star player is called for a foul). They say keeping stars on the court is good for the game, but how is that fair to the game itself? I want to see LBJ and Paul George called for the same fouls that Chris Copeland is called for.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

They are the money makers for the league, and if they get into foul trouble, then they don't play. When they don't play, it's bad for the league. I think it's a load of bull, but it isn't going to change.

I think it's stupid and unfair but the NBA is about money and people want to see them play. Superstars already have the talent and physical edge on everyone and now they can foul more often on both side of the floor with no calls. So how do you expect to beat players like Lebron?

What was that stat where Lebron had one of the longest steaks without fouling out ? Lebron gets plenty of respect. He gets free throws by getting close to the rim. One game and the refs call him on his fouls and it's a travisty. Sheesh

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    They are the money makers for the league, and if they get into foul trouble, then they don't play. When they don't play, it's bad for the league. I think it's a load of bull, but it isn't going to change.
    Basically, yeah. It is what helped keep the league alive in the 80s and what has helped it's popularity grow since. There is also the thing where the superstars are also better than the other players which often means it can be harder to tell when they commit a violation since it usually isn't as obvious as when a lesser player does the same thing.

It's not going to change unless calling every player exactly fair no matter what makes the league more money. And I doubt that will ever happen.

It doesn't really matter because LBJ will have zero fouls and 50 points in the next game. Epic players bounce back in epic ways after a bad game
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I don't really know how to respond to this. I think what Simmons was trying to say is, in the playoffs you don't all of a sudden start calling touch fouls on the best players in the league, especially not THE BEST player in the league.

I mean, how often have we heard the terms "Playoff Foul" or "that's just Playoff Basketball"?? And for the refs to all of a sudden call the game in a different way that eliminates the best player on one team is kind of wack and very suspect, IMO. I'm not saying at all that they rigged it, I'm just saying the did a poor job of applying the rules consistently throughout the game in the same manor in which 99% of games have been called in the last 4 years including playoffs.

Lebron didn't all of a sudden change how he plays, but the refs changed how they officiated.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I don't really know how to respond to this. I think what Simmons was trying to say is, in the playoffs you don't all of a sudden start calling touch fouls on the best players in the league, especially not THE BEST player in the league.

I mean, how often have we heard the terms "Playoff Foul" or "that's just Playoff Basketball"?? And for the refs to all of a sudden call the game in a different way that eliminates the best player on one team is kind of wack and very suspect, IMO. I'm not saying at all that they rigged it, I'm just saying the did a poor job of applying the rules consistently throughout the game in the same manor in which 99% of games have been called in the last 4 years including playoffs.

Lebron didn't all of a sudden change how he plays, but the refs changed how they officiated.
    well said

So its like when people say "Player X is dirty." but "Player Y is going all out for his team." When they do the exact same thing.

Thread Information