Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tyreke Evans SF PER ranked #6

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    That's not what I said. With his current skillset, he requires a particular type of lineup in order for the team to succeed. He is good when he is paired up with players that can make a jumpshot, even if it is only a 10 footer. However, when is mixed in a player grouping with a single other player that isn't respected away from the rim, he is unable to get the team to outscore the opponent.

This limits the situations you can put him in with an expectation of success. It is part of the reason why he was disappointing when coming off the bench.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    How is this a bad thing, though? If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, doesn't mean she's lacking as a person because she doesn't. It just means shes a woman. Tyreke isn't perfect. We get it. Neither is AD, Jrue, or anyone else we draft or sign look at the roster in totality and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So, when he went for 41 against OKC, how many good players were out there with him? How many spacers that OKC had to focus on?

Tyreke was killing them, they knew he was our long big weapon and he still burned them. Some guys help, yes. And that is the case for every player not named Lebron. But does he NEED a certain type of player(s)? No.
    Bad/good games happen. I just think he really needs to have a secondary way of making plays when team make it difficult for him to get to the rim. Especially in the playoffs when more game planning goes into facing your opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    How is this a bad thing, though? If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, doesn't mean she's lacking as a person because she doesn't. It just means shes a woman. Tyreke isn't perfect. We get it. Neither is AD, Jrue, or anyone else we draft or sign look at the roster in totality and go from there.
    I don't expect him to be perfect. I just hate the idea of a core play-maker being one dimensional on offense. I would like him to develop a credible post-game or 3pt shot. Nothing out of this world but enough that he can help the team in the half-court when his layups aren't falling. I'm talking 33% from 3.

I don't expect him to be perfect. I just hate the idea of a core play-maker being one dimensional on offense. I would like him to develop a credible post-game or 3pt shot. Nothing out of this world but enough that he can help the team in the half-court when his layups aren't falling. I'm talking 33% from 3.

I think you are being a bit hard on him. 1.) Offensive skills are more than just actual scoring. He can get to the basket, create for others, and serve as a lead ballhandler. 2.) After AD he probably checks more boxes on the stat sheet than anyone on the team...i.e he can affect the game even if his one scoring dimension is limited.

Bad/good games happen. I just think he really needs to have a secondary way of making plays when team make it difficult for him to get to the rim. Especially in the playoffs when more game planning goes into facing your opponents.

We are talking about our 3rd/4th option. If teams are game planning to shut him down, we've already won.
    @mcnamara247

That's not what I said. With his current skillset, he requires a particular type of lineup in order for the team to succeed. He is good when he is paired up with players that can make a jumpshot, even if it is only a 10 footer. However, when is mixed in a player grouping with a single other player that isn't respected away from the rim, he is unable to get the team to outscore the opponent.

This limits the situations you can put him in with an expectation of success. It is part of the reason why he was disappointing when coming off the bench.

Also this post fails to consider the context of who Tyreke's teammates are:

Ryan Anderson
    Anthony Morrow
    Anthony Davis
    Jrue Holiday
    Austin Rivers
    Jason Smith

That's a capable list of shooters (spot up, mid-range, and three ball) eliminate the undesirables and get some net neutral players instead of disasters like Aminu and Steamer and you are cooking with gas.

I'm just worried about when we are facing good defensive teams in the playoffs. Tyreke feels like the easiest person to neutralize on offense for our core (assuming Gordon is gone). I would love, love, love to be wrong.

I'm just worried about when we are facing good defensive teams in the playoffs. Tyreke feels like the easiest person to neutralize on offense for our core (assuming Gordon is gone). I would love, love, love to be wrong.

Honestly all we need is a SF that can spot up and I think Tyreke is the hardest person to stop on our team. I think outside of Tony Allen, LBJ, Iggy, and maybe a couple others no one else can guard Tyreke one on one. And out of that list only one is a guard.

The simple truth is this; Tyreke is one dimensional, but he's also almost impossible to stop no matter who's on the court with them. Other guys make it easier on him, but he's shown he can do it with anyone. In the playoffs are teams going to worry about trying to stop Tyreke and pack the paint at the risk of leaving Jrue, Ryno, and our SF open? Great!

The one place where Tyreke is unstoppable is in transition - we gotta get healthy so we can run more. This team was top 8 in pace when healthy. Those are 6-8 pts per game for him. In half court, he's gotta be aggressive and get to the line. Develop a post game and a spot up 3 and he is the best 3rd or 4th option in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The one place where Tyreke is unstoppable is in transition - we gotta get healthy so we can run more. This team was top 8 in pace when healthy. Those are 6-8 pts per game for him. In half court, he's gotta be aggressive and get to the line. Develop a post game and a spot up 3 and he is the best 3rd or 4th option in the league.
    Could you imagine having AD and that Tyreke on the same team together? Man that would be exciting.

I know we are in the present, so that is all we can analyze, but I think we gotta kind of calm down until we see this team together not for games, but YEARS.

I see people sometimes post about how this unit's ceiling is X, Y, and Z. Based off what? 13 games? Lets relax and just watch for a little bit.

I personally don't buy Tyreke is our third scoring option if Gordon is gone. I think he's #2 behind Davis with Jrue facilitating more.I guess we could throw Ryno up there which really is part of the beauty of our build. I guess what i'm saying is, i think the #2 guy will be based off of match ups.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I would call Ryno #2, with Jrue as the fascilitator, but up the most shots per 36 on this team. Or they are 2A and 2B - whatever. No need to label. Point is, teams can focus all their defensive effects on a Lebron or a Durant and slow him if they really center their defense around him, but teams wont be doing that with AD as their focus.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I personally don't buy Tyreke is our third scoring option if Gordon is gone. I think he's #2 behind Davis with Jrue facilitating more.I guess we could throw Ryno up there which really is part of the beauty of our build. I guess what i'm saying is, i think the #2 guy will be based off of match ups.
    The nicest thing about Tyreke and Jrue playing together is that their scoring styles are completely different. Reke is a pure penetrator, whereas Jrue is more of a shooter/facilitator. Their styles play perfectly off each other, so it will be fun to see them next season.

And I agree with you that our nightly featured scorers should be based on matchups. Our lineup has so much flexability that Monty should be able to do a lot of different things with it and attack opposing defenses' weaknesses. We just need a competent SF. Can't wait until FA!

It don't buy that Reke is one dimensional. He may be the best passer on this team. And that is one area I think we need to improve the most as a team. Passing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Thread Information