Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: last year's trade for Jrue Holiday was one-sided

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    He used George as an example in a response to me in the comments section.
    Ok I only read the article.

I imagine he was saying that good players can be had with the 10th pick. Especially considering this is suppose to be a deep draft.

Honestly I highly doubt that we are picking 10th anyway if we didn't do that deal.

The problem that I have with the article is the following.

If Jackson comes to the Las Vegas Summer League and again plays with the Pelicans this year, and lights it up as though he were a loose slot machine on the Strip, he'd still have some difficulty earning a spot on the 15-man roster for next season.

He's only 5 foot 10 and seems to be more of a scorer than a facilitator as a point guard, which would make him a difficult fit for the Pelicans as currently assembled.
    That is simply not true. If Jackson comes in and plays like a mad man in SL we most definitely will have a spot for him in our rotation. Everyone wants offense in a can, and if PJ gives it to you he allows you to move other guys who are under performing around. I hope PJ does come in and plays amazing. We could use some instant offense off the bench.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post

I imagine he was saying that good players can be had with the 10th pick. Especially considering this is suppose to be a deep draft.

Honestly I highly doubt that we are picking 10th anyway if we didn't do that deal.
    I agree with you there. Same team from two seasons ago, no way we get into the playoffs, and we more than likely are drafting higher than 10. Actually you might be right, you might be wrong. This upcoming season is going to be make or break for a lot of people.

All i have to say is look at Cleveland... Top of the draft pretty much every year and they've done what exactly?
    Unless its a top 3 pick, draft picks in the NBA don't mean much to me.
    Well I guess that depends on how you feel about Irving. One of the other picks was LeBron. I think drafting Bennett was an awful decision, but it's too early to close the casket on that pick.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The problem that I have with the article is the following.

That is simply not true. If Jackson comes in and plays like a mad man in SL we most definitely will have a spot for him in our rotation. Everyone wants offense in a can, and if PJ gives it to you he allows you to move other guys who are under performing around. I hope PJ does come in and plays amazing. We could use some instant offense off the bench.
    Or he becomes a more valuable asset to trade.

All i have to say is look at Cleveland... Top of the draft pretty much every year and they've done what exactly?
    Unless its a top 3 pick, draft picks in the NBA don't mean much to me.
    exactly, a pick doesn't mean a guarentee stud. Once again, we got a 23 year old 2way allstar not even in his prime on a great contract. It was a no brainer win for me.

If Jrue, Ryno, AD, Tyreke and Gordon didnt get injured the pick wouldn't have even been in the lottery.

Ryno doesn't likely get knocked out for season if the trade doesn't go down and Vasquez is at PG instead of Roberts for most of the season.

I think this teams is as good or better record wise if they don't do the trade. My guess would be 12th pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

Well I guess that depends on how you feel about Irving. One of the other picks was LeBron. I think drafting Bennett was an awful decision, but it's too early to close the casket on that pick.
    Ok I miss understood this post.

The key is to be good at the draft. There's more than enough examples of picks 6th and below that turned out to be great players.

The article even tries to bring up AD, stating that he "can look around and see there haven't been any moves this year to enhance the team's postseason viability."

And last offseason I'm sure he would've been equally ecstatic to see our team not make any moves in order to tank for another year to try (and likely fail) to get a high draft pick.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Wow, that article had a pessimistic undertone lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Ok I miss understood this post.

The key is to be good at the draft. There's more than enough examples of picks 6th and below that turned out to be great players.
    Being good at the draft is kind of like being good at the lottery. You can do all the homework but its still a crapshoot. At some point you need to actually try and be good. Having a team full of young guys with no established talent is not great either.

The Franchise
    I was ok with Jrue, I just wish we gave up a little less. I thought the 6th pick was good enough but that's just me and personally I like to build mostly through the draft. Too late now I'm only looking forward and what we can do to either buy a pick or trade.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Being good at the draft is kind of like being good at the lottery. You can do all the homework but its still a crapshoot. At some point you need to actually try and be good. Having a team full of young guys with no established talent is not great either.
    Not even close. Some people just have an eye for talent. There are several teams that do a good job taking the right players enough to be successful.

Not even close. Some people just have an eye for talent. There are several teams that do a good job taking the right players enough to be successful.
    Yea, but really at some point they will go through a stretch where it doesn't pan out. You can have all the measurables, game tape, character, etc and for whatever reason not pan out. Of course there are guys who have a better eye then others but its still an educated guess at the end of the day. I just don't think having a team full of inexperienced players will make us better off. We need a couple of guys that have been in the league and are young. Jrue is still growing as a player but has the experience to get us where we want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaPride View Post
    Yea, but really at some point they will go through a stretch where it doesn't pan out. You can have all the measurables, game tape, character, etc and for whatever reason not pan out. Of course there are guys who have a better eye then others but its still an educated guess at the end of the day. I just don't think having a team full of inexperienced players will make us better off. We need a couple of guys that have been in the league and are young. Jrue is still growing as a player but has the experience to get us where we want to be.
    And Jrue can completely regress and become a shell of his former self. Everything is a risk. See Eric Gordon. The good thing about rookie deals are they don't hurt the teams cap like a vet even the young ones. There's two sides to the coin. IMO for teams like the Pelicans stand a better chance drafting their talent as opposed to handing out big contracts are trading away future draft picks to get that talent.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    If Jrue, Ryno, AD, Tyreke and Gordon didnt get injured the pick wouldn't have even been in the lottery.
    On the flip side to that argument if we weren't playing the short game and trying to win now we likely wouldn't have traded away Noel, we likely wouldn't have made a big play for Evans and we would of actually had a higher seed in the draft since in all likelihood we would be tanking.

Which is why I go back and forth on whether I support the trade. Because the trade represented a more win now approach vs a slow build.

And Jrue can completely regress and become a shell of his former self. Everything is a risk. See Eric Gordon. The good thing about rookie deals are they don't hurt the teams cap like a vet even the young ones. There's two sides to the coin. IMO for teams like the Pelicans stand a better chance drafting their talent as opposed to handing out big contracts are trading away future draft picks to get that talent.
    Is is a facially when using EG. The only regression for EG is getting to the FT line. He's been better in some areas as well. The problem with the EG deal is he was never worth a max deal. He got it based off the potential of him improving - sadly he has slightly regressed and not improved nearly as much. That's a big difference between Jrue who is on a deserved deal. But what's the bigger odds? A player on a good contract who has proved himself completely regressing or drafting a player who ends up being a bust?

I find people fall in love with the "potential" of draft picks instead of realistically placing value on them compared to the value of a proven player. The problem is Benson handed down the command to put a winning product together now. There was never the option to slow build the team once we got AD and Benson bought the team. People get stuck on that being a better option, but it was never an option. All you can do is look at the moves we've made based on what the goal for the team was. Which was to put together a winning team now. The injuries derailed this season but I think Demps has started to do just that.

I guess someone could make that argument for anyone including LeBron. Extreme I know..

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

No he's saying we sold or future for now.
    It's a ridiculous argument considering that Jrue is one month older than Lillard, and hardly two years older than the guy we probably would have taken in Trey Burke.

Our future is Davis. Hoping to hit on draft picks is a risky thing. I have no problem with people wishing the Pelicans built their team the way OKC did, but it's crazy to call this a one sided trade to this point. Jrue and Tyreke are very good players, but it seems like people are knocking the Pelicans' moves because those two guys aren't 1st team All NBA type players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Is is a facially when using EG. The only regression for EG is getting to the FT line. He's been better in some areas as well. The problem with the EG deal is he was never worth a max deal. He got it based off the potential of him improving - sadly he has slightly regressed and not improved nearly as much. That's a big difference between Jrue who is on a deserved deal. But what's the bigger odds? A player on a good contract who has proved himself completely regressing or drafting a player who ends up being a bust?

I find people fall in love with the "potential" of draft picks instead of realistically placing value on them compared to the value of a proven player. The problem is Benson handed down the command to put a winning product together now. There was never the option to slow build the team once we got AD and Benson bought the team. People get stuck on that being a better option, but it was never an option. All you can do is look at the moves we've made based on what the goal for the team was. Which was to put together a winning team now. The injuries derailed this season but I think Demps has started to do just that.
    Again it's a matter of opinions as it pertains to team building. Not sure how much can be dumped on Demps and honestly under the win now directive you can do a lot worse than Jrue Holiday.

However IMO doing it the way we are doing so is low percentage. We should be taking advantage of Davis inability to be a franchise player at this stage(if ever). Some times teams get to good to fast and lack the ability to put the necessary talent around that cornerstone player.

Again it's not just potential that makes drafting so enticing it's the cost control contracts and ownership of rights that is so great. For example missing on Gordon is killing this team. Missing on Bennett is not hurting Cleveland nearly as much.

Too early

It's still too early to decide who got the better trade!

Jimmy Smith has been hating on the Pelicans since Tom Benson took over ownership. I wonder if he lost some perks and comps with the new ownership team? But at least you can't accuse him of being a homer!

Again it's a matter of opinions as it pertains to team building. Not sure how much can be dumped on Demps and honestly under the win now directive you can do a lot worse than Jrue Holiday.

However IMO doing it the way we are doing so is low percentage. We should be taking advantage of Davis inability to be a franchise player at this stage(if ever). Some times teams get to good to fast and lack the ability to put the necessary talent around that cornerstone player.

Again it's not just potential that makes drafting so enticing it's the cost control contracts and ownership of rights that is so great. For example missing on Gordon is killing this team. Missing on Bennett is not hurting Cleveland nearly as much.
    But what is Cleveland doing with that saved money? If the argument is it's more cost effective to have rookies that's fine. But look at the teams with the most rookies on them. What are they going to do with all that cap? Overpay for a player? At some point you have to use that money. Either to resign your rookies or overpay to get players because you are a sucky team. Are the 76ers going to be able to get players on a budget? Of course not. The only way they will be able to bring in high quality FA's is with offering them a bigger contract.

The way I see it playing the rookie game only delays the contracts. It's not a substitute. Instead we got a starting, all-star PG on a good deal. Heck when you combine the two draft picks cap hits the difference with Jrue is only about 5m. He wasn't a reach or overpay at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    But what is Cleveland doing with that saved money? If the argument is it's more cost effective to have rookies that's fine. But look at the teams with the most rookies on them. What are they going to do with all that cap? Overpay for a player? At some point you have to use that money. Either to resign your rookies or overpay to get players because you are a sucky team. Are the 76ers going to be able to get players on a budget? Of course not. The only way they will be able to bring in high quality FA's is with offering them a bigger contract.

The way I see it playing the rookie game only delays the contracts. It's not a substitute. Instead we got a starting, all-star PG on a good deal. Heck when you combine the two draft picks cap hits the difference with Jrue is only about 5m. He wasn't a reach or overpay at all.
    Cap space is just one of the benefits of rookie contracts. There's the ability to match any deal after said contract is up. When Jrue deal is done he's a URFA he can go where ever he wants and what he can make will be higher because it's his 3rd contract. Rookie deals give teams the option retain a player an extra 3-5 years. This could be the difference between retaining a championship core or losing a major part of it.

Being able to over pay FAs is one of the benefit of having the majority of your core on rookie deals if a team wanted to go that route. It's the flexibility I always reference to. A team can afford to bring in vets to teach the young players the day to day in's and out's of being a professional athlete.

Thread Information