Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I expect big moves this off season.

I expect big moves this off season.

I know other than the Monroe hype many ppl have a very tamed thought on the off season that we will grab just a few role players. I seriously think we will see another big acquisition happen. I believe this because I do believe Dell is on the hot seat and if this roster doesn't make the playoffs in the ultra competitive west I think he could be good as gone. Currently we have a decent team but at best a 7th seed and that isn't good enough in the West. Also isn't his contract up soon?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm with ya. Except I hope for big moves this offseason.

And there is a touch of the fact we've added and morphed around our roster almost every single offseason. At some point we're gonna need to gel and get some consistency. A lil' commonality to it all.

Don't mean it has to be this offseason, though.

I am not sure how we could make any big moves unless we pull of a miracle and rid ourselves of Gordon.

I cant see us trading anyone really besides ryno.

The staff loves jrue
    No one will take gordon because of his contract
    Tyreke played incredible when given the chance, love the way him and Jrue compliment each other perfectly.
    Aminu is gonna be gone
    Steamer is gone

Ryno is a fantastic player on a fantastic contract so he is the only real movable piece i see. We could maybe do a ryno for Jeff green swap if we truely want to upgrade the small forward position, which we should, but I would much much much rather keep ryno and sign jordan hamilton and either Blatche or hill.

So my conclusion, unless we trade ryno for an awesome deal, no trades will happen and we will sign a decent small forward and a decent center.
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 05-21-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Davis to the Cavs for every first overall they get for the next 20 years. At this rate, we'll have a team full of future hall of famers in like 7 years.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I cant see us trading anyone really besides ryno.

The staff loves jrue
    No one will take gordon because of his contract
    Tyreke played incredible when given the chance, love the way him and tyreke compliment each other perfectly.
    Aminu is gonna be gone
    Steamer is gone

Ryno is a fantastic player on a fantastic contract so he is the only real movable piece i see. We could maybe do a ryno for Jeff green swap if we truely want to upgrade the small forward position, which we should, but I would much much much rather keep ryno and sign jordan hamilton and either Blatche or hill.

So my conclusion, unless we trade ryno for an awesome deal, no trades will happen and we will sign a decent small forward and a decent center.
    Tyreke is a perfect compliment for Tyreke?
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    Tyreke is a perfect compliment for Tyreke?
    meant jrue.

But I love how both have the ability to handle to ball, making it harder for defense to put their best defender on our ball handler and it gives both of them a mental break. I would run 50% of our starters plays thru Jrue and 50% through gordon.

While Jrue is good with the ball in his hands he is very very good off the ball with his shooting and slashing.
    While Tyreke is good with the ball in his hands when he is off ball it allows him to slash or allows him to beat his man for the offensive rebound which he is great at.

Plus it gives us 2 very big and quick guards on defense. Tyreke is a vastly under rated defender IMO.

The key is u need a SF who can shoot with them also. Not a pure shooter, someone who can score in a variety of way, which is why I like someone like Jordan Hamilton for this team so much, plus he is a good rebounder and defender as well.
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 05-21-2014 at 10:45 PM.

I'm calling it now. Jeff Green in a 3 team trade involving Rondo. Would probably include a future first, second, and cash but we got that. Just intuition and too much NBA 2k. My first post was about us trading for Tyreke about 4 years ago, so there's that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I'm calling it now. Jeff Green in a 3 team trade involving Rondo. Would probably include a future first, second, and cash but we got that. Just intuition and too much NBA 2k. My first post was about us trading for Tyreke about 4 years ago, so there's that.

So we give up what for green? Just a pick and cash?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    I know other than the Monroe hype many ppl have a very tamed thought on the off season that we will grab just a few role players. I seriously think we will see another big acquisition happen. I believe this because I do believe Dell is on the hot seat and if this roster doesn't make the playoffs in the ultra competitive west I think he could be good as gone. Currently we have a decent team but at best a 7th seed and that isn't good enough in the West. Also isn't his contract up soon?
    It would be nice if they made changes to get better, but the best thing that could happen for this team is for there to be no major injuries.

I don't

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    So we give up what for green? Just a pick and cash?
    Forgot to mention Gordon but i thought any trade talk you can just assume Gordon is involved.

Holiday, Evans, Green, Davis, ???? Sounds good even without a center to me sign me up!!!!1

- I wonder if P-Jax is so butt-hurt from last season that he's gonna demand a trade.
    - I think they will let B-Rob walk, which will make the P-Jax situation interesting since we'll need a 3rd PG
    - Tyreke has to start... but he can't play the 3. WWMD? (what would Monty do)
    - Need to find a starting SF.
    - I might be the only person that likes our trio at Center. They won't dominate, but for how we run our offense they are all solid.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    - I wonder if P-Jax is so butt-hurt from last season that he's gonna demand a trade.
    - I think they will let B-Rob walk, which will make the P-Jax situation interesting since we'll need a 3rd PG
    - Tyreke has to start... but he can't play the 3. WWMD? (what would Monty do)
    - Need to find a starting SF.
    - I might be the only person that likes our trio at Center. They won't dominate, but for how we run our offense they are all solid.
    -Who cares what he demands? We've got him {edited} .
    -I really hope he starts him!
    -Agree; doesn't have to be a world beater either.
    -I think at the very least, we need a Rolo type on our bench.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Forgot to mention Gordon but i thought any trade talk you can just assume Gordon is involved.

If Gordon's involvement consists of being mentioned and immediately rejected then I agree that Gordon is involved in any trade talk.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I don't think Demps can take the risk and wait for the following year to make a substantial move of sorts....I agree that will be the organization s chance to make the biggest splash, but he needs to do something sooner to protect his job....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I don't think Demps can take the risk and wait for the following year to make a substantial move of sorts....I agree that will be the organization s chance to make the biggest splash, but he needs to do something sooner to protect his job....
    Which is such a dumb situation for our owner to put the team into if those rumors of the hot seat are true.

You're basically forcing your organization into a less optimal scenario for the long term health of the team. By creating an environment where the GM feels his only strategy available is to take a very short term approach to the team which is just asking for trouble.

If our GM feels desperate and has his future already written for him he his more apt to take a huge risk with your organization to try and pull off a Hail Mary or a last second desperation play. And as most Hail Mary's go, they end up not working. So In the end your pressure to win now hurts your organization even more and leaves the next guy with an even harder task of picking the pieces up.

If the scenario right now is either Demps makes us into a playoff team or he's gone. Just fire him now. Bring a guy in who is going to have the security to not have to use all his cards in one offseason and can take a longer term approach. Which will be better for everyone long term.

I know it's an unpopular opinion because Benson basically saved the team but as an owner and CEO of the team I can't say he has taken the best approach to building this organization so far. He's been taking a way to short term approach and it has the potential to blow up in his face horrendously.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-23-2014 at 10:57 AM.

If everyone is healthy next season it will be like it's a new team
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    If everyone is healthy next season it will be like it's a new team
    I think everyone agrees with that. I just worry that if Demps is on the hot seat that he'll feel obligated to make some sort of move in order to maximize his potential to stay on after this season. Whereas if he felt safe or we went ahead and brought someone else in that fear wouldn't be looming over our GM

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I think everyone agrees with that. I just worry that if Demps is on the hot seat that he'll feel obligated to make some sort of move in order to maximize his potential to stay on after this season. Whereas if he felt safe or we went ahead and brought someone else in that fear wouldn't be looming over our GM
    Yeah, That's why if you really put your GM n the hot seat; he shouldn't know...

You need to make a move this offseason but I don't think it has to be a huge move. Our 4 horsemen have all shown to have injury problems (this is true), but given a season to work together, I am sure they can make the playoffs. Add a nice talent on a marginal contract (your Blatche, Jordan Hill, S&T For Mills) whatever and go from there. You don't want to move for a big money guy now without knowing how good we can be with this current core. You could have something really great, we could have something really crappy, but we need to see. There is no point in making a move just to make a move.

Add a nice sf/c on a smallish contract, play next season out, make BIG move in 2014-2015 free agency.

Here is a list of free agent sf's

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/sma...wards_2014.htm

and centers

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency/centers_2014.htm
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 05-23-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Anyone know what the deal was with Greg Oden. Did he not play cause of injuries, was he just bad, or didn't fit miami's play style.

I know at one point in time we were considering him and he was considering us. If he isn't terrible he could come in on a cheap contract to prove he belongs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You go back and watch the games when we were healthy and honestly, all you gotta do is upgrade Aminu and this is a top 4-6 team in the WC IMO if you don't get killed with injuries again

@mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    Anyone know what the deal was with Greg Oden. Did he not play cause of injuries, was he just bad, or didn't fit miami's play style.

I know at one point in time we were considering him and he was considering us. If he isn't terrible he could come in on a cheap contract to prove he belongs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    He doesn't know how to play basketball. He's slow, fouls a lot and just doesn't know what to do on the floor. Not to mention he has to be constantly monitored for injury concern.

Thread Information