Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I expect big moves this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    They really didnt need him to sign Evans, though. If people want to get on Demps, know this - they could have kept Lopez, they would have just had to say goodbye to Aminu and never sign Stiemsma. Both those guys were signed using cap room, totaling 6.3 million. They could have kept Lopez instead. THAT was the choice they made - Aminu, Withey, and Stiemsma over Lopez.
    I do not recall if that is 100% accurate (without looking at specifics). You even explained in detail why they needed to get rid of Lopez (and linked this article - http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...t-happens-now/) before Aminu was re-signed. If I recall, we had bird rights on Aminu which let us exceed the cap when the S&T with Evans would not allow us to exceed the cap. So, it was not as simple as choosing Aminu, Whithey and Steimsma over Lopez. I don't think they could have kept Lopez and bypassed those 3 and still made the S&T deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I do not recall if that is 100% accurate (without looking at specifics). You even explained in detail why they needed to get rid of Lopez (and linked this article - http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...t-happens-now/) before Aminu was re-signed. If I recall, we had bird rights on Aminu which let us exceed the cap when the S&T with Evans would not allow us to exceed the cap. So, it was not as simple as choosing Aminu, Whithey and Steimsma over Lopez. I don't think they could have kept Lopez and bypassed those 3 and still made the S&T deal.
    Bird Rights require you having a cap hold, which in Aminu's case was 3.75 - the exact amount he signed for.

It is 100% accurate. If we release Aminu's bird rights and never sign Stiemsma, we could have kept Lopez. It came down to Aminu, Stiemsma, and Withey vs. Lopez and we know which route Dell took. I think that was unfortunate for this past year, but long term I dont think it will matter as he will undoubtedly find a better guy than Lopez.
    @mcnamara247

If that's the choice i'm not sure i agree with it. If anything, lopez would have been a way better trade bait than those other 3 together. Considering we won't be seeing 2 out of 3 for the rest of our lives (hopefully)...well, not exactly a top move

I agree- it was a bad decision, but not one that will kill us long term. But it was not the right call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Lopez move is a bad move IF you don't already have your front court of the future. Monty was already on record as saying that Rolo outplayed their expectations. They have never wanted a full time C like Rolo to pair with AD. They have always wanted a guy that could give you 20 minutes against a big banger and give AD and Ryno time together.

Now you could argue that we didn't get great value for Rolo since there was other ways we could have made the trade work, but we don't know what was demanded in the trade. I don't think Dell was trying to get a Rolo replacement. I think he was trying to get a big banger that could give you 20 minutes. Steamer didn't work out, but there are others out there.

Thread Information