Pelicans Report

Thread: Ryno Defensive Statistics?

Ryno Defensive Statistics?

I don't know the #'s but I was hoping someone could help me. From the games I watched it seemed like Ryno struggled guarding the smaller athletic power forwards because of his lack of foot speed, but I remember he looked great vs big bruising centers like Cousins. Maybe it is because he got to practice every day vs Dwight, or maybe it's because he is stronger than he looks. Ryno did play Center in Orlando when Dwight went down.

IDK which it is, regardless, it seems like a good match with Davis who struggles vs the big bruising centers but dominates the quick athletic power forwards.

Instead of having Ryno off the bench, what about starting Ryno at center, bringing the center out of the paint to not be able to defend the rim and leaving AD at the 4 where he looks like a future hall of famer?

Anyone think this could work or would Ryno not be able to hold up?

Also, could anyone tell me what Ryno's defensive statistics looked like to when he played Center opposed to Power Forward this year or previous years?

Thanks

Thanks a ton man, exactly what I wanted.

Basically shows Ryno is better at PF than C and Davis is equally as good as a C than he is as a PF.

Also shows Tyreke best production was at SG, he better start next year lol.

Take any all-in-one defensive stat with a truckload of salt because they all have major flaws. They require a large amount of context to understand properly.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Please watch instead. I know I am biased but Ryno is not bad on that end. Not as a team defender. It's AD that needs to improve on that end for the Pels to be able to play him and Ryno together more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am biased.
    Agreed

I've been saying for quite awhile that Ryno is not nearly as bad on defense as people try to make him out to be. As MM said, go watch the replays. Watch him on Howard against Houston and you'll see how well it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I've been saying for quite awhile that Ryno is not nearly as bad on defense as people try to make him out to be. As MM said, go watch the replays. Watch him on Howard against Houston and you'll see how well it worked.
    Or against Cousins. Cousins scored, but he also had 8 turnovers I believe.

I will never call Ryno an above average individual defender, but his team defense is very good and he isn't the total stiff on that end that some make him out to be.

Or against Cousins. Cousins scored, but he also had 8 turnovers I believe.

I will never call Ryno an above average individual defender, but his team defense is very good and he isn't the total stiff on that end that some make him out to be.
    I think Ryno's size diffiency comes into effect during a 7 game series against those guys. The reg season games are fine. that being said... we have to earn the right to even play in a 7 game series before we get ahead of ourselves..

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I think Ryno's size diffiency comes into effect during a 7 game series against those guys. The reg season games are fine. that being said... we have to earn the right to even play in a 7 game series before we get ahead of ourselves..
    But how about Cousins trying to chase AD or Ryno around for 7 games? I mean, we can adjust how we send double teams in the post. How do you make Howard or Cousins suddenly able to defend in space on the perimeter?

But how about Cousins trying to chase AD or Ryno around for 7 games? I mean, we can adjust how we send double teams in the post. How do you make Howard or Cousins suddenly able to defend in space on the perimeter?
    Was speaking from strictly a defensive perspective. I agree with your premise on offense completely. I love the fact that you dont have those big bodies gobbling rebounds on either end. I also love the fact that if Howard or cousins are outside of the paint it allows guys like Reke and possibly Davis to gobble up those boards. I also think you'd have to look at the net results, but it's not cut and dry at all. On defense if you're fouling or doubling when (if) these guys starts to dominate, it means you're giving up open 3's as well. Overall is the advantage that Ryno is bringing to the offensive end enough to counter the disadvantge we're giving up on the defensive end; and to be truthbful it could be a game-by-game quarter-by-quarter job for the coach which Monty isn't the best at.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Sure. And what are the odds we face Cousins in the playoffs? Heck, Howard for that matter, they aren't going to be a 1/2 seed and I doubt we see them in a 7 game series for another couple years.

If we make the playoffs next year who are we most likely facing? Splitter/Duncan, ibaka/perkins or collison.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Sure. And what are the odds we face Cousins in the playoffs? Heck, Howard for that matter, they aren't going to be a 1/2 seed and I doubt we see them in a 7 game series for another couple years.

If we make the playoffs next year who are we most likely facing? Splitter/Duncan, ibaka/perkins or collison.
    Right, kind of what i meant in my last sentence... I thought we were doing worst possible matchups?

And best big that might come out West in this draft is Vonleh, another perimeter big.

I always think about being the coach for one team or the other. On one hand, I got two perimeter bigs who can also post up and drive to the hoop from 18-22 feet out. On the other hand, I have a big with some skill in the post that has a significant strength advantage. Neither side will shut the other down, but as a coach, which would be hardest for me to limit?

Like I said with the low post threat who cant shoot FT's, I can hack him, I can double him, even deny him ocassionally. There are things I can do. On the other end, if I am the coach of the slow footed big and the other team has AD and Ryno, I dont know what I can do. Not as many strategies available to me in that case.

And best big that might come out West in this draft is Vonleh, another perimeter big.

I always think about being the coach for one team or the other. On one hand, I got two perimeter bigs who can also post up and drive to the hoop from 18-22 feet out. On the other hand, I have a big with some skill in the post that has a significant strength advantage. Neither side will shut the other down, but as a coach, which would be hardest for me to limit?

Like I said with the low post threat who cant shoot FT's, I can hack him, I can double him, even deny him ocassionally. There are things I can do. On the other end, if I am the coach of the slow footed big and the other team has AD and Ryno, I dont know what I can do. Not as many strategies available to me in that case.
    For this team would u rather Ryno for 8 mil or Monroe for 12?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    For this team would u rather Ryno for 8 mil or Monroe for 12?
    Ryno without thinking. For me, it gets closer when the contracts are within a mil of each other or so. I like Anderson more, but Monroe's durability, relationship to the area, and relationship with AD can't be ignored. If its a 9-10 mil per year deal, I probably go Monroe. But it won't be, so I'm not on the Monroe train

Ryno without thinking. For me, it gets closer when the contracts are within a mil of each other or so. I like Anderson more, but Monroe's durability, relationship to the area, and relationship with AD can't be ignored. If its a 9-10 mil per year deal, I probably go Monroe. But it won't be, so I'm not on the Monroe train
    Agreed, would rather save that money to use on jordan hamilton and a big.

If we signed Jordan Hamilton which center would you rather go after if prices were the same? Jordan Hill or Andray Blatche?

I have become smitten with Blatche the more video I watch. The exact type of defender we need and a solid low post threat.

When I was just looking at stats, I was terrified of his usage, but when I actually watched, he chucked up shots with the second unit but played very under control with the starters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information