Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grantland Article: "Front Office Chaos."

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Williams over Demps and Dumars as a front-runner to replace? LOL this team, if true.
    Williams and Dumars. Wow, could it get much worst than that?!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Williams and Dumars. Wow, could it get much worst than that?!
    What has me intrigued is that we may be a top destination. If that's so who do you and everyone feel should be our #1 target at GM then?

I ask because I genuinely don't know what's out there.

All of this hinges on how things go next year. If the Pels don't take a significant step forward (lets call it +10 wins), then Demps is gone. I think this holds injuries or no injuries. It seems clear that both Demps and Monty will get a pass for this year, and that's probably fair. It doesn't mean they have proven themselves. It just means there isn't a a large enough sample size to determine if the line-up Demps put together and Monty was supposed to lead, really works and is worth the assets and cap space we gave up to assemble it. It's a case of arrested development. I don't think this will hold for long though. I'd be surprised if ownership will be willing to listen to a lot of "it takes time to gel" arguments next year. The team has had a 1/4-1/2 season playing and practicing together in the system which should accelerate their chemistry. Add another year of maturity for AD and I think it's fair to expect a competitive team that challenges for the playoffs. Something I think the article gets wrong is our cap situation. We've got more flexibility/options going forward than Lowe indicates.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    All of this hinges on how things go next year. If the Pels don't take a significant step forward (lets call it +10 wins), then Demps is gone. I think this holds injuries or no injuries. It seems clear that both Demps and Monty will get a pass for this year, and that's probably fair. It doesn't mean they have proven themselves. It just means there isn't a a large enough sample size to determine if the line-up Demps put together and Monty was supposed to lead, really works and is worth the assets and cap space we gave up to assemble it. It's a case of arrested development. I don't think this will hold for long though. I'd be surprised if ownership will be willing to listen to a lot of "it takes time to gel" arguments next year. The team has had a 1/4-1/2 season playing and practicing together in the system which should accelerate their chemistry. Add another year of maturity for AD and I think it's fair to expect a competitive team that challenges for the playoffs. Something I think the article gets wrong is our cap situation. We've got more flexibility/options going forward than Lowe indicates.
    Doesn't our cap situation depend on eric gordon being irrational and overvaluing himself and thus opting out?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    What has me intrigued is that we may be a top destination. If that's so who do you and everyone feel should be our #1 target at GM then?

I ask because I genuinely don't know what's out there.
    SVG would have been a good target. Sadly, though ...

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Here are my quick thoughts.

If Demps is truly on the hot seat they should just fire him now.

Demps was ordered to win now by the ownership and even though I still am not sure I agree with the Jrue trade long term but It was probably the best move we could make to try and win now.

So now Demps is going into the offseason on the hot seat and the ownership wants results now. Sounds like a recipe for long term disaster if you ask me. Perfect environment for rash decisions and desperate moves.

Frankly my agitation is with Benson so far who has completely failed to grasp that basketball is not football and you can't just create a championship team in one offseason. Benson should of told Demps this is a 2-3 year process and we need to do it right, give me your long term strategy.

I feel like Demps is in a lose-lose situation because he was asked to execute an unrealistic goal from a naive owner who is seemingly now frustrated that he couldn't achieve it.

I know people aren't gonna like to hear this but our ownership has not done much right when it comes to managing the direction of this team so far.
    You would think that this is common sense. You never want your GM making decision feeling like their jobs are in the balance on every move.

IMO this continues to be unfounded speculation, and fodder for gossip especially during the off season.

This idea that Benson put out a mandate that Dell and Monty win a championship now is more of the same. Mr. Benson is a seasoned professional sports team owner and he knows that you can not mandate something like that. All this talk that Mr Benson is old and wants to win an NBA championship before he kicks is rubbish. Follow his decision process and management traits, he is definately more concernd with building a lasting top tier franchise that the city of New Orleans and the Gulf coast region can be proud of than a "damn the future, win now mentality" Mr Benson never micro-manages his sports teams, he has very trusted advisors who he defers most of the evaluation process to and believe it or not, Dell and Monty have the support of those advisors and Mr. Benson.

So in closing, some day Dell or Monty, or both will be let go so I guess if every year you dust off this specualtion and run it up the flag pole sooner or later you'll be right. but don't confuse that with knowing whats going on.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post
    IMO this continues to be unfounded speculation, and fodder for gossip especially during the off season.

This idea that Benson put out a mandate that Dell and Monty win a championship now is more of the same. Mr. Benson is a seasoned professional sports team owner and he knows that you can not mandate something like that. All this talk that Mr Benson is old and wants to win an NBA championship before he kicks is rubbish. Follow his decision process and management traits, he is definately more concernd with building a lasting top tier franchise that the city of New Orleans and the Gulf coast region can be proud of than a "damn the future, win now mentality" Mr Benson never micro-manages his sports teams, he has very trusted advisors who he defers most of the evaluation process to and believe it or not, Dell and Monty have the support of those advisors and Mr. Benson.

So in closing, some day Dell or Monty, or both will be let go so I guess if every year you dust off this specualtion and run it up the flag pole sooner or later you'll be right. but don't confuse that with knowing whats going on.
    I said it long ago and I stand by it still.... this upcoming year will be a huge one for both of them....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davisistheman View Post

The "damn the future, win now" mentality is what is happening in Brooklyn.
    Does anyone else want NOLA to end up like them?

There are some pretty well conected people on this board who have all been adamant that Demps/Williams are staying for next year. I would defer to their judgements.

Thread Information